"Just Keep Swimming": An Odyssey to the Enchanted 10k 2017 (July 12th Update)

Just a few more race notes:

ONE-- I got a blister on the inside of my right foot--AGAIN!

This really frustrates me because:
1) I was told with correct running socks, and correct shoes, this would go away.
My running shoes were fitted at a running store. I was wearing moisture wicking running socks. My shoes are only used for running and only have about 20 miles on them right now.
2) I put glide on my feet! It was the glide "body" section but I think glide is pretty generic to all parts of your body (or so I've read)
3) I did not get these blisters when doing my 2.5 mile training runs...

It's in the same spot as my one from my first 5k (where I did none of the above) and I only know this because the one from last month is STILL healing. I'm not sure what to do. I'm curious if I run differently in races due to anxiety or trying to keep up or whatever. The blister didn't bug me during the run, it was only when I stopped (and later when I took my shoes off) that it became annoying. Still, I don't want any blisters!

(and it didn't rain on my run either!)

TWO--I did not stick to my race and my pace and was dying by mile 2.

This race in my hometown was not part of a run/walk like the first 5k and had quite a bit fewer people. With my 10 minute pace, I was probably in the final 3/4th's of the race. I started out pretty slow but was at the VERY back of the pack, and as an exceptionally competitive person, I couldn't handle that. So I hit the gas a bit hard and ended up with a 9:30 pace to start.

With such few people, and a lot of people coming to the races talking about their marathon times, I had so much anxiety going into this race

Will have to figure that one out inside my own head or with additional training.

THREE: I don't know where to go from here with training!

I'm not sure if I wanna use the Galloway method because in my mind walking during any race seems like failure (personal feeling, not against Galloway or people who use his method!). I think I'm past couch to 5k programs, but not really in the intermediate section yet (like Hal Higdon's training program for intermediate wants you to have been running 20 miles a week for the past year to two years!)

I want to improve my times, and also begin a bit of further distances. Obviously my goal is to run 6 miles by February, but I'd like to try to be in a 10k by the fall, if it's a reasonable feat.

1) Blisters are annoying. Even with all of the best preparations (shoes, socks, glide, etc.) sometimes they still happen. Not the most encouraging way to put it, but unless you can tie it to the shoes or socks, they're likely to happen every once in a while.

2) Your race strategy will come with more racing. But one thing you should do is make note of this event in your life. When you look back five years from now and you've run several marathons, and you participate in a local 10K, think about that lady that's standing next to you who looks really anxious about her 2nd 5K. Reach out to her and talk to her. Try to give her confidence in her abilities. We all have to start somewhere and the more we welcome each other, no matter where we are in our running career, the stronger our community will be.

3) A quick glance at Higdon's website shows a Novice 10K plan. If a 10K in the Fall is your goal, it would seem this plan would fit nicely with your goal and where you're currently at training wise. Just remember that you want to keep most of the days running easy. If you feel that's too easy (to always run easy), then see if you can add more days of running in (although I'd suggest to slowly incorporate more days of running per week, don't just jump from 3 to 5 days per week). The more days you run, the more hard runs you get to do. Try to keep it in the back of your mind that 80% of all of your running should be near 2 min slower than 5K pace. It might not seem as fun to run this relatively slow all the time, but it is the best path to improving your times.

1) Blisters are annoying. Even with all of the best preparations (shoes, socks, glide, etc.) sometimes they still happen. Not the most encouraging way to put it, but unless you can tie it to the shoes or socks, they're likely to happen every once in a while.

2) Your race strategy will come with more racing. But one thing you should do is make note of this event in your life. When you look back five years from now and you've run several marathons, and you participate in a local 10K, think about that lady that's standing next to you who looks really anxious about her 2nd 5K. Reach out to her and talk to her. Try to give her confidence in her abilities. We all have to start somewhere and the more we welcome each other, no matter where we are in our running career, the stronger our community will be.

3) A quick glance at Higdon's website shows a Novice 10K plan. If a 10K in the Fall is your goal, it would seem this plan would fit nicely with your goal and where you're currently at training wise. Just remember that you want to keep most of the days running easy. If you feel that's too easy (to always run easy), then see if you can add more days of running in (although I'd suggest to slowly incorporate more days of running per week, don't just jump from 3 to 5 days per week). The more days you run, the more hard runs you get to do. Try to keep it in the back of your mind that 80% of all of your running should be near 2 min slower than 5K pace. It might not seem as fun to run this relatively slow all the time, but it is the best path to improving your times.

1) Good to know. I took this as me doing something wrong!!!

2) I will definitely be doing that

3) YES! Thank you for finding that for me. Didn't even think to look at the 10k plan yet. It looks perfect. I will begin tomorrow! (super excited!)

Training Plan This Week: 7-11-16

Monday-- was supposed to be a rest day but I was itching to run real bad. So I ran 1.5 miles at an 11 minute pace.

Tuesday-- 2.5 Miles.

Wednesday-- Cross Train 30 Minutes (Not sure what I'm going to do. Might stationary bike)

Thursday-- Rest

Friday-- 2 Miles

Saturday-- Rest

Sunday-- 3 miles.

Might not be able to stick to this plan though. Going shark/scuba diving in North Carolina from Friday--Monday.
Not above finding somewhere to run there. But as we are on the boat at 6:30am and don't get back until about 6pm and then need to eat and I'm usually EXHAUSTED (not to mention, having tired muscles leads to easier Nitrogen Narcosis-- getting narced). Running may neither be feasible nor safe.

So I might have to repeat week one of my 10k training plan twice.

Hooray! Minnie medal?

Love that "not-dory" tank...like she's hiding behind the G for fear of being caught for copyright infringement :)

Love the "just keep running" top. So cute! Congrats on the 10K registration!!

Well Friends.... I completed my Princess 10k. I was in corral A and absolutely dazzled that I was in the first corral. I really need to do a total trip report, but just don't have it in me.

In other news, I have decided to run a half marathon. I'm two weeks into training and I've stayed on course pretty well :)

I am currently hitting very high frustration levels with training and equipment.

Between freezing temperatures, long work days and snow, I'm two weeks behind on my Half training.

When I finished my Princess 10k I had bloody toes. I thought nothing of it.

My boyfriend went to the running store to get new shoes, and I decided to get an updated fit after a year with my last pair. Turns out my feet have gotten larger by 1 size-- I went from a women's 9.5 to 10.5!

However, I've now been through two pairs of new shoes and they are all miserable. HUGE blisters on my arches... even with glide and the proper socks. I'm going back for a third pair but at this point, I might just wear my old "too small" ones because even with bloody toes, my feet were never in pain. I'm getting so frustrated about not running that I'm starting to hit that "giving up" point

I am currently hitting very high frustration levels with training and equipment.

Between freezing temperatures, long work days and snow, I'm two weeks behind on my Half training.

When I finished my Princess 10k I had bloody toes. I thought nothing of it.

My boyfriend went to the running store to get new shoes, and I decided to get an updated fit after a year with my last pair. Turns out my feet have gotten larger by 1 size-- I went from a women's 9.5 to 10.5!

However, I've now been through two pairs of new shoes and they are all miserable. HUGE blisters on my arches... even with glide and the proper socks. I'm going back for a third pair but at this point, I might just wear my old "too small" ones because even with bloody toes, my feet were never in pain. I'm getting so frustrated about not running that I'm starting to hit that "giving up" point

Hang in there! You just have to find the right shoes for you and then once you do it'll be glorious! Don't worry about being two weeks behind, just keep trucking along on the training plan. Just don't jump ahead to make up time because it won't usually work out well. You can do this! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!