Just look up and reach to the sky, we all have the courage to fly! (comments welcome)

I'm planning on following the Hal Higdon advanced 5k plan https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/5k-training/advanced-5k/ I'm also open to other suggestions. I found with my last training plan, I really enjoyed the workouts with more speed work/faster paces, and really looked forward to those, so I'm hoping to incorporate them more without going too far that it causes injury. The good news is that I've learned from past mistakes, and will actually stop if I think it's too much stress on my body.

And yes, after the 5k, I'll be changing my focus from running to strength training. I'll just need to find the balance where I'm still doing some running, so I'm not starting from scratch when it comes to training for Wine and Dine.

So you peaked at 4.5 hrs in the 10 miler training plan (with then two taper weeks around 3 hrs) with a 10 mile long run (105 min).

Week 3 of the Higdon Advanced plan takes 35 min + 40 min + off + 35 min + off + 45 min + 70 min = 230 min = about 4hrs

Week 7 of the Higdon Advanced plan takes 35 min + 45 min + off + 45 min + off + 54 min + 90 min = 270 min = about 4.5hrs

So it looks like you'll hang around the peak volume you did during your 10 miler training plan, but do so across most all weeks instead of only hitting it once. So yes, the training load for this plan will be higher on a 6 week rolling value than where you ended on the last training plan. This is appropriate volume and appropriately bridged. You should come off this training plan nearing race peaking. So I think you made a good choice of plan.

Be sure to read the Higdon instructions carefully. "Tempo" is actually just a progression (like easy + 5-10 min at 10k pace + easy). I defined Higdon "fast" as something around HM Tempo to M Tempo (9:00-9:30) based on your last plan.

So you peaked at 4.5 hrs in the 10 miler training plan (with then two taper weeks around 3 hrs) with a 10 mile long run (105 min).

Week 3 of the Higdon Advanced plan takes 35 min + 40 min + off + 35 min + off + 45 min + 70 min = 230 min = about 4hrs

Week 7 of the Higdon Advanced plan takes 35 min + 45 min + off + 45 min + off + 54 min + 90 min = 270 min = about 4.5hrs

So it looks like you'll hang around the peak volume you did during your 10 miler training plan, but do so across most all weeks instead of only hitting it once. So yes, the training load for this plan will be higher on a 6 week rolling value than where you ended on the last training plan. This is appropriate volume and appropriately bridged. You should come off this training plan nearing race peaking. So I think you made a good choice of plan.

Be sure to read the Higdon instructions carefully. "Tempo" is actually just a progression (like easy + 5-10 min at 10k pace + easy). I defined Higdon "fast" as something around HM Tempo to M Tempo (9:00-9:30) based on your last plan.
Thank you. I didn't want to bother you with an in between plan, so it's reassuring to hear that I'm on the right track!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter