Just returned 7 days at OKW :)

leslieh

DIS Veteran
I have asked many people at the resort. Are there any plans in the works for a small kids area (splash zone) at OKW. We have been members since 1992 and now we bring our grandchildren 1 & 3. They absolutely love SS splash play area. We had four kids under 4 in our group there is not much for them to do at OWK? We love the rooms and parking in front, this is our HR.

It took a while to get a slide at OKW. As large as the resort is you would think they could put more in for the little ones. We bought in 1997 and now have young grandchildren that would love a splash place.

That's a nice idea but if Disney picks up the capital upgrade like they did with the slide, we'd still pay for upkeep. Maybe they could fit something like you suggested near the kiddie pool or over by the dolphins.
Almost half the members were against the slide for various reasons including maintenance costs, lifeguard costs, and design. It was shoehorned in.
As to zero entry, I don't think there is enough room to fit that in without a big re-engineering of the current pools footprint which would be a costly rebuild.
For right now there is pool hopping and waterparks.

ssr and blt have splash area. think the akv does too

so does DD

you can't pool hop to blt or akv - but you can to SSR

Understand...OKW is my favorite resort, but not when my grand babies were younger...they don't need the toddler pool anymore, but for those with little ones, it makes a huge difference, between essentially a two foot cement kiddie pool and a rubberized splash pad area. Look at the beautiful Alice in wonderland splash pad added at GF...and you should see the neat one at Caribbean Beach...and YES, we did pool hop there from the BCV...DGS was just going on 4 and loved, loved, loved it! I understand that a splash pad needs a bigger footprint, but when you are updating...UPDATE. Although OKW is the biggest and offers more bang for your points...it lacks in areas for toddlers, IMO

OKW is our first resort, SSR second. We too bought when our children were preteens and now we have grandchildren. OKW has always been our favorite resort but what is most wonderful about the flexibility with DVC as our children grew up we could stay at other resorts or pool-hop to meet the changing needs of our family. Although not a home resort, no trip to Florida is ever complete without a few days at Vero Beach!

OKW is usually referred to as the Disney Retirement Resort. And we want to keep it that way. ;)

I like my retirement home. OKW is still my favoirte resort. We own at OKW and Animal Kingdom. We always stay at OKW if possible.

28 more days for us and then we will be back 'home', sipping early morning coffee on the balcony and a nightcap in the evening :goodvibes

This will be our first time going with anyone other than just DH and I (we are only a couple of yrs into DVC and have taken 2 romantic getaways since but only for a few days - this time we will be going for 9 days!), and are looking forward to sharing it with our adult children (20,21) and my step-princess who will be turning 11 while we are there. Her cousin who is turning 12 this week will also be joining - both will be their 1st times.

I cannot wait to take in the lush greenery and the sprawling grounds, the sounds of the music piped in, the clanking and chatting from in the Gurgling Suitcase, and yes, even the sounds of the busses. :cloud9:

I am actually listening to MouseWorld Radio at work during the day to get me ready! :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter