Just returned from Tokyo and Disney Sea

redflag216

Earning My Ears
Fresh off a wonderful trip to Tokyo! Had such a great time and got to do so much in 6 days...and it helped that the weather cooperated! But now the bad news - I didn't care for Disney Sea . I really really wanted to like it, but it just didn't do it for me. I was underwhelmed by it. I guess after reading so many great things about the park, I set my expectations pretty high. I started the day out by speed walking to get the Toy Story Mania fastpass and initially I was in awe of being in the park. Dont get me wrong, I think it's a beautiful park...but what it thrives on aesthetically doesn't make up for what it lacks in other areas. Case in point the rides! They are just "meh". I don't believe the rides reflected the teen and adult crowd that the park is aiming to attract. Nemo and friends Searider had the longest fastpass return wait time that I have ever seen, and the ride itself was so mediocre. Indiana Jones and Toy Story were fun but they are quite similar to their American counterparts. Sinbad was good, but it made me miss "it's a small world" all the more. Journey to the Center of the Earth was okay. I think the park could do with a water themed ride - like a splash mountain or a grizzly bear run.

I did, however, enjoy the food there! The shrimp and smoked salmon bagel at the New York deli was delicious, as were the little green dumplings (had them twice). Popcorn was good as usual. The tiramisu ice cream sandwich and the peach raspberry Minnie popsicle were great treats. Even the pizza was pretty good. I found so many more options there than at Tokyo Disneyland.

Managed to stay to see Fantasmic, even though it had been a long day and I was ready to go. It was an alternate version because it was really windy (so much so that the Happiness on High fireworks were canceled). I left feeling so let down and wishing the day and the park had been so much more. I'm just glad that I chose to experience Tokyo Disneyland on my first trip to Japan last year. Although, I did end up getting a selfie with Dale!!!!

I'm not sure about others, but it's the theming NOT the rides which elevates DisneySea so high on my list of awesome theme parks.

I agree that the rides themselves aren't anything too amazing, although ToT, Journey, Indiana Jones and Sindbad are all highly enjoyable IMHO.

I'm not sure any Disney theme park is going to embrace "thrill" rides like Universal and other theme parks. Disney targets itself firmly at families so the rides are always going to be designed to appear to the "mid level" thrill seeker.

Fresh off a wonderful trip to Tokyo! Had such a great time and got to do so much in 6 days...and it helped that the weather cooperated! But now the bad news - I didn't care for Disney Sea . I really really wanted to like it, but it just didn't do it for me. I was underwhelmed by it. I guess after reading so many great things about the park, I set my expectations pretty high. I started the day out by speed walking to get the Toy Story Mania fastpass and initially I was in awe of being in the park. Dont get me wrong, I think it's a beautiful park...but what it thrives on aesthetically doesn't make up for what it lacks in other areas. Case in point the rides! They are just "meh". I don't believe the rides reflected the teen and adult crowd that the park is aiming to attract. Nemo and friends Searider had the longest fastpass return wait time that I have ever seen, and the ride itself was so mediocre. Indiana Jones and Toy Story were fun but they are quite similar to their American counterparts. Sinbad was good, but it made me miss "it's a small world" all the more. Journey to the Center of the Earth was okay. I think the park could do with a water themed ride - like a splash mountain or a grizzly bear run.

I did, however, enjoy the food there! The shrimp and smoked salmon bagel at the New York deli was delicious, as were the little green dumplings (had them twice). Popcorn was good as usual. The tiramisu ice cream sandwich and the peach raspberry Minnie popsicle were great treats. Even the pizza was pretty good. I found so many more options there than at Tokyo Disneyland.

Managed to stay to see Fantasmic, even though it had been a long day and I was ready to go. It was an alternate version because it was really windy (so much so that the Happiness on High fireworks were canceled). I left feeling so let down and wishing the day and the park had been so much more. I'm just glad that I chose to experience Tokyo Disneyland on my first trip to Japan last year. Although, I did end up getting a selfie with Dale!!!!

Thanks for reporting back! I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for that Minnie bar. Did you pay cash or card for the treats?

To be totally fair, I think people can massively overhype rides anyway. I don't really get the Toy Story craze here, even though I enjoy the ride.

I somewhat agree with you, except about the food, but I am a vegetarian and my one trip there in '09 there were even fewer items on offer than now. I spent a lot of time hungry.

It's a pretty park, but it's not enough to blow me away. I don't mind the lack of thrill rides, I don't go to Disney for those, but I think it does need more rides and attractions because it felt like once everything got 1-2 hour lines there was just nothing to do. It's one thing I really like about the FL parks. When there are 2 hour lines for everything in MK, play Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom! 2 hour long lines for everything in Epcot, Kidcot stations and lots of free easy to view shows. 2 hour long lines for everything in the Studios, if your kids won't get jealous watch some Jedi training, and in AK there are of course all the animals and the amazing Dig Site playground. For thrill rides, I go to Cedar Point. Nothing in Universal compares to a real roller coast with a 300 foot drop. I'd go to Nagoshima Spa Land but it's closed when I am in the Nagoya area. ;;_;; But someday, I will make it there!

I like Journey. I prefer ToT in FL. Raging Spirits was fun if the line is short. I like the more interesting characters you can meet.

I'm sorry you were so disappointed.

The Minnie popsicle treats were all over the park. They offered a Mickey one as well, which I believe was fruit punch flavoured. I didn't have it but my spouse did and raved about it. We used cash for all purchases in the park, and in all of Tokyo for that matter. I like Toy Story Mania but I don't get what the craze is about either. All I know is that the crowd gathering to get fast passes (after I had obtained mine) was about 3x the size of the one I waited in! We only waited in the standby line for Journey and we still managed to get on every major ride and show, except for ToT and Raging Spirits. Went to go on the gondola ride at 7pm and found it to be closed due to preparations for Fantasmic. I have to say though that the weather was just perfect...cloudy and not as warm as the other days we were in Japan. There was even a bit of a breeze.

Disney Sea is the greatest amusement park in the world. Case closed.

The OP apparently disagrees with you :rolleyes1

I am not sure if I will love it as much as other people do. I doubt it will give me a true Disney feeling. Knowing myself I will probably think when I am there 'is this it?' Sure it looks beautiful. But as they say in Swan Princess: 'but what else?'

The OP apparently disagrees with you :rolleyes1

I am not sure if I will love it as much as other people do. I doubt it will give me a true Disney feeling. Knowing myself I will probably think when I am there 'is this it?' Sure it looks beautiful. But as they say in Swan Princess: 'but what else?'

Does HS or AK or Epcot give you a "true disney feeling"? I'm just curious if you have a similar take on other parks that I don't consider overtly Disney.

Does HS or AK or Epcot give you a "true disney feeling"? I'm just curious if you have a similar take on other parks that I don't consider overtly Disney.

It depends a bit, in order of most Disney feeling, least Disney feeling
Magic Kingdom(WDW)
Disneyland Paris (DLP)
Disneyland Anaheim (DL)
Animal Kingdom (WDW)
Epcot (WDW)
Hollywood Studios (WDW)
California Adventure (DL)
Disney Studios (DLP)

I look forward to seeing Mermaid Lagoon, Arabian Coast and Mysterious Island. Maybe it's because I am from Europe that Mediterrean Harbour, Port Discovery, but also the American Waterfront, I have seen these things a dozen times before and I don't really associate it with Disney. There is nothing fantasy-like about it to me. Not sure if I explain it right, but this is a bit what I mean.

It depends a bit, in order of most Disney feeling, least Disney feeling
Magic Kingdom(WDW)
Disneyland Paris (DLP)
Disneyland Anaheim (DL)
Animal Kingdom (WDW)
Epcot (WDW)
Hollywood Studios (WDW)
California Adventure (DL)
Disney Studios (DLP)

I look forward to seeing Mermaid Lagoon, Arabian Coast and Mysterious Island. Maybe it's because I am from Europe that Mediterrean Harbour, Port Discovery, but also the American Waterfront, I have seen these things a dozen times before and I don't really associate it with Disney. There is nothing fantasy-like about it to me. Not sure if I explain it right, but this is a bit what I mean.

I can understand that. I went to Venice over Christmas so I'm less excited about DisneySea now than I would have been before going to Europe. I feel sort of the same way about world showcase in Epcot.

But hopefully it'll be like California Adventure. That doesn't match up to the "real CA" but it doesn't really need to and it isn't meant to. That retro western feel is very Disney. Or rather, it's the Disney-esque fantasy of a nostalgic age that never existed if that makes sense.

Take this with a grain of salt since I last went in '09 but.... no, Tokyo Disney Sea is not the greatest amusement park of all time. It really depends on what a specific person wants in an amusement park. I love Disney, but if I was going to an amusement park solely for me and solely for rides, hands down Cedar Point wins. They have a 320 foot drop roller coaster with a well designed course and a smooth ride. The Raptor and Mavericks are also pretty amazing, there is nothing at any Disney park I've been to that compares. However Cedar Point is about the rides, while I think of Disney as an experience, plus Disney has awesome races!

As a vegetarian, food wise, the CA parks and Epcot are the best hands down. They have the most variety and the most on offer, though I am hoping that Pandora is going to push AK onto that list. I think AK is a good mix of attractive park and rides, plus there are plenty of things to do when the rides have 1+ hour long lines.

For me WDW Magic Kingdom, feels the most Disney like and is the best Disney experience. I like DL, but it's just a little too compact, so it always feels more crowded than MK even if the number of people in both are the same. I am personally expecting for Sea to be a 1/2 day park unless my daughter finds climbing the fortress more entertaining than I did. I have a friend who thinks it is amazing, but I'd personally rather be climbing real steps in the woods to Haguro-san.

I agree with the TC. I am underwhelmed by DisneySea. I guess it depends whether you're more of a Disney fan or a theme park fan in general. If you're a Disney fan, you'll like Disneyland more. DisneySea is not very Disney-like. Other than Ariel's Playground and Toy Story Mania, the rest of the theming is very non-disney (example: I don't come to Disneyland to see Sinbad. I want to see Disney rides).

Journey to the Center of the Earth is the most disappointing Disney ride for me. I queued for 2 hours expecting a Space Mountain type thrill but the thrill part was only a few seconds in the end. I wouldn't queue for more than 15 minutes for it.

If you're a theme park fan in general, you'll like DisneySea. The atmosphere is beautiful and it was worth going once but I wouldn't go there again until they add more Disney rides.

Looking forward to visiting DisneySea somewhere down the road. The people in Japan are so nice and neighborly.

I agree with the TC. I am underwhelmed by DisneySea. I guess it depends whether you're more of a Disney fan or a theme park fan in general. If you're a Disney fan, you'll like Disneyland more. DisneySea is not very Disney-like. Other than Ariel's Playground and Toy Story Mania, the rest of the theming is very non-disney (example: I don't come to Disneyland to see Sinbad. I want to see Disney rides).

Journey to the Center of the Earth is the most disappointing Disney ride for me. I queued for 2 hours expecting a Space Mountain type thrill but the thrill part was only a few seconds in the end. I wouldn't queue for more than 15 minutes for it.

If you're a theme park fan in general, you'll like DisneySea. The atmosphere is beautiful and it was worth going once but I wouldn't go there again until they add more Disney rides.

To each his own. My family loves Journey. The Matterhorn isn't Disney. Big Thunder Mountain isn't. Space Mountain isn't. There are a ton of great non-Disney rides, and Journey is one of them.

Rides/ Attractions:

Journey is wonderfully themed. it is mostly not a thrill ride except for one small portion. it is just a really well themed dark ride. For that one part you go outdoors, it is actually more effective at night. And you see better from the front row.

Sinbad, spectacularly cute and with gorgeous , effective animatronics. Like Small World in a way, but far more sophisticated and with a story. A triumph among dark rides.

Magic Lamp Show: Very well done, imaginative, and unique.

IJ: First-class, exciting, of course not unique.

Aquatopia: Loads of fun, using the same trackless technology of Pooh's Hunny Hunt, so you can't know where you are going next, or if you will just spin around in place.

20,000 Leagues: a bit dorky, and it's obvious you are not going underwater. Not as good as FNSV in Anaheim.

Tower of Terror: A unique version with a great effect in the 'library' room.

Raging Spirit. Great to look at from the walkway, especially at night with the water and fire. The ride is way too slow to be of much interest. Going at night at least makes it a bit more mysterious.

Mermaid Theater: Fun, effective, and unique show.

Toy Story: not unique.

I have not seen the new ride near Aquatopia. Sorry to hear you didn't like it. I quite liked the old Storm Rider, which was surprisng that the entire theater was a motion simulator, and the final effect with the missile smashing into the theatre had some real wow factor.

Yes, the super higlight is the themeing of the park itself, which is way-out-and-beyond spectacular.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter