Just the two of us...no dining plan, no discounts, no allergies...lots of pics! COMPLETE

So Monday, Martin Luther King Day arrives and we had ADR's and fast passes at Hollywood Studios, so we got up early and did the be-there-when-it-opens-at-7am-thing so we could get Boarding Passes for Rise of Resistance, and low and behold it WORKED. I got us number 44. That was all great and dandy but it was now really early, and it was FREEZING out. Our first fast pass was hours away.

We desperately wanted to get indoors somewhere for something hot to drink and a little something to eat. I knew Star Wars had a place or two, but the crowds headed that way were tremendous and didn't seem to be moving, so we headed to Toy Story area, only to find out that the only place open was Woody's and it was outdoors. Did I mention it was COLD? We, along with a lot of others, were not prepared for the cold temperatures that we were facing and would continue to face for the next few days. We headed back toward Main Street, as they wouldn't let us go around that way to the Star Wars area, and the Trolley Car Cafe Bakery/Coffee Shop had the most ridiculous line ever! Frustrated we headed back to Star Wars that way and thankfully the crowd had disbursed so we could walk around until we came upon Ronto Roasters. Not exactly what we had in mind as it was still outdoors (but at least covered), but at least there were a few tables and the line wasn't too crazy. We ordered one:

Ronto Morning Wrap

Eggs, Grilled Pork Sausage, Shredded Cheddar, and Peppercorn Sauce in Pita Bread

$12.49

Also for some weird reason that was not like me, I ordered this to drink: IMG_20200120_073950950.jpg

Tatooine Sunset
Gold Peak® Unsweetened Tea, Odwalla® Lemonade with Melon and Blueberry

$5.49

Husband got a Diet Coke. Why we didn't get hot coffee is beyond me.

Husband ate most of the wrap, but the few bites I had were quite good in a simple way. Could have used a bit more of the sauce, but the sausage had good flavor. The egg part was pretty tasteless. Could have used some simple seasoning...even salt & pepperIMG_20200120_073939958.jpg

'

After washing down the wrap and taking our vitamins with the drinks, we ended up tossing them. It was too cold out to carry them around. The tea was much too sweet for me anyway. We should have just shared the Diet Coke. Oh well, it's only money right? :sad2:

After looking at some of the cute Star Wars shops, we kept walking and ran into Docking Bay 7...DARN, why couldn't we have found that first? It's got seating INDOORS. Yes! Let's do this coffee thing. So we wait in a pretty long line just to be able to get a couple coffees, and there's no where to sit. Wait a few minutes and a table opens up. We grab it. By now I've seen one too many of these beauties and I'm intrigued:

IMG_20200120_082639234.jpg

All I could think of was whatever that was it would go great with my coffee, so up I went again to stand in line for one of those beauties, which turned out to be:
Mustafarian Cinnamon Roll
Sweet Galactic Delight

$5.99

Was I really going to pay $6 for a cinnamon roll after wasting over $5 on a sweet tea that I didn't drink much of? Apparently I was, even if it meant a long line. Back to the table I went and took that first bite. Hmmmm, it was flaky, rather hollow inside, yes slightly cinnamony...it was good, but $6 good? You know what would have made it more like $6 good? If it was warm...yes, a hot flaky pastry with that crunchy topping would have made it amazing. Oh well, at least I wouldn't have to wonder for the rest of the day what I was seeing so many other people eat!

Sadly my reaction to this was it had to have been out of a jar. You know that nasty queso stuff they sell by chips in the grocery store? That's exactly what this dip tasted like. The chips were good though, and the peppers on top saved it from complete disaster. They added just enough intrigue and freshness to make me question whether my jarred assessment was accurate or not. Either way, this dip did in our bar-hopping ways for the night. That, and the fact that we had to get to Hollywood Studios early in the morning for the Rise of Resistance lottery. So we did some shopping, then hopped the bus back to our Value Resort for our first night. Coming up next, Hollywood Studios eats and drinks!
The queso is definitely out of a jar, or as I imagine it, a large can. Ours came out at room temp and this southwest gal about sent it back. Their food there is some of the worst I’ve had at WDW but I do love that they’re one of the few to do a happy hour menu.

Warmed up a bit from being inside and sipping coffee, we headed back out in the cold and managed to kill time until our first fast pass...Meanwhile, they are ripping through boarding passes for ROR, and our number is called. We know we have two hours to get to it, so we went to our Little Mermaid fast pass. Did that, then it was time for our 11:30 ADR at Sci-Fi, but we didn't want to miss our boarding pass. This was our first time realizing that the Disney World App didn't help at all with changing ADR's! I suggested we stop by Sci-Fi and explain our predicament. There was a nice Gentleman Cast Member out front. We told him our dilemma and he immediately said, go do ROR and come back after. Okay, off we went! It was of course, fantastic! And back we did go to Sci-Fi, where they "reinstated" our ADR, and took us to the front seat of a car without much of a wait at all. Score!

We had eaten here years ago and had really liked it. Service was good right from the beginning. I can't remember the guy's name who took care of us, but he did a good job. I can't remember what Husband ordered to drink, but I went straight for a glass of red wine to warm me up. After much back and forth about the menu, we decided to share. We started with the Shrimp and Crab Fondue (it's a dip folks)...but let me tell you. This is a Disney STEAL at $11! Even our Server commented on how they really filled ours up to the brim. It was the right amount of chips for all that dip. I had read that this dip was "fishy" and it is a strong seafood flavor. I'm pretty sure the crab was claw meat, which tends to have a stronger taste. But there was also a ton of shrimp in it! If you get this, make sure you dig down to the bottom, because all the shrimp is hiding down there. Honestly, we probably would have been just fine with just this, but we had already ordered a sandwich to share as well.

IMG_20200120_121959139.jpg

Last edited:
The queso is definitely out of a jar, or as I imagine it, a large can. Ours came out at room temp and this southwest gal about sent it back. Their food there is some of the worst I’ve had at WDW but I do love that they’re one of the few to do a happy hour menu.

Shame on them for not doing better! I swear they USED to have really good food!

So we were still working on our Shrimp and Crab Dip when this great-sounding sandwich arrived:

The Cheese Steak Sandwich
Thinly Sliced Rib-Eye Steak, Caramelized Onions, and Bell Peppers served on a Toasted Hoagie Roll topped with Provolone and Beer-Cheese Sauce

$20.00

Doesn't that sound TERRIFIC? Note: before I agreed to share it with Husband I had questioned our Server about whether it was lean or fatty. I know Rib-Eye can be very marbleized, which is not my thing. He even went and asked them in the kitchen and they said most of the fat was cooked out, so we ordered it. Dumb me wasn't thinking though that here we are sitting in the dark to eat, so if there ARE globs of fat, this Gal won't see it coming. You guessed it, that's exactly what my first bite was. Globby, Blobby, even a little slimy. Hopefully no one saw me have to spit it out. Sigh...these weren't strips of sliced steak with sliced peppers and onions. It was all a choppy, gloppy strange-texture mess. In a slightly stale thick roll. Not my idea of a quality sandwich. I kept trying it thinking it would get better, but it didn't. Husband, who has eaten a lot more steak sandwiches in his life than me, thought it was just okay. Neither of us would EVER order it again. Sorry for the dark pic, but maybe you can sorta see what I mean. The fries were okay.

IMG_20200120_123143046.jpg

So we were still working on our Shrimp and Crab Dip when this great-sounding sandwich arrived:

Thinly Sliced Rib-Eye Steak, Caramelized Onions, and Bell Peppers served on a Toasted Hoagie Roll topped with Provolone and Beer-Cheese Sauce

$20.00

Doesn't that sound TERRIFIC? Note: before I agreed to share it with Husband I had questioned our Server about whether it was lean or fatty. I know Rib-Eye can be very marbleized, which is not my thing. He even went and asked them in the kitchen and they said most of the fat was cooked out, so we ordered it. Dumb me wasn't thinking though that here we are sitting in the dark to eat, so if there ARE globs of fat, this Gal won't see it coming. You guessed it, that's exactly what my first bite was. Globby, Blobby, even a little slimy. Hopefully no one saw me have to spit it out. Sigh...these weren't strips of sliced steak with sliced peppers and onions. It was all a choppy, gloppy strange-texture mess. In a slightly stale thick roll. Not my idea of a quality sandwich. I kept trying it thinking it would get better, but it didn't. Husband, who has eaten a lot more steak sandwiches in his life than me, thought it was just okay. Neither of us would EVER order it again. Sorry for the dark pic, but maybe you can sorta see what I mean. The fries were okay.

View attachment 469494
That doesn't look good even in the dark

Next up on the Hollywood Studios eating and drinking plan, was our ADR at 3:00 for Oga's Cantina. We had walked by it many times by now and had seen the long line outside it thinking smugly that at least WE had an ADR. Hah! How smart are we?! Well, let me warn you, that line IS for people with an ADR. And dumb us waited until exactly 3:00 to get in it. So we did have to wait about another 15 minutes, at which time they took six of us (three couples) in at the same time to a standing table next to the bar. There was one guy already at the table. After a few more minutes we were brought menus. I already knew I couldn't leave without experiencing:

Fuzzy Tauntaun

Cîroc Peach Vodka, Bols Peach Schnapps, Simply® Orange with Tangerine, Pure Cane Sugar, and "Buzz Button Tingling" Foam

$16.00

I mean, really, if you're going to pay $16 for a cocktail, one should really get to experience Tingling Foam, ya know?

My Bourbon-Loving Husband went straight for the Jet Juice:

Jet Juice
Maker's Mark Bourbon, Ancho Reyes Chile Liqueur, Cedilla Açaí Liqueur, White Grape Juice, and Lemon Juice

$15.00

IMG_20200120_151637200.jpg

Last edited:

$20.00

View attachment 469494
Oh that’s bad. I’m in NJ (10 minutes from Philly) and won’t order any cheesesteak sandwiches outside of my area. The ones in WDW look downright scary!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!