Just used Dollar's 50% Jeep promo...

I booked the Jeep through Dollar for 2 weeks with the 50% off coupon for my parents who flew into Ft. Lauderdale, dropping off in Orlando. I had a backup ressie for them for a full size car at National.

FYI, Dollar is on-site at FLL, National is off-site.

I also sent them with a copy of our insurance policy declaration page (full comprehensive & collision) and they were charging the rental on their Gold AMEX. Well, Mom called me from the Dollar rental counter. The rep was giving them a hard time about the insurance waiver. He kept telling them that their insurance WOULDN"T cover them, yadda, yadda...Their insurance only covers liabilty...a jeep rental is different, etc

I called our insurance company immediately to ask and was told that we would be covered for a rental (even for a SUV) as if it was our own car. The only item that may not be covered would be loss of use charges - but that would depend on our specific policy and he couldn't check for me because the computers were down due to updating. But I think I remember that NY policies do require coverage of loss of use.

In any case, I called Mom back on her cell and asked to speak to the Dollar rep. He continued to try to convince me that insurance coverages are "different" because the car was so expensive. We would be responsible for loss of use which our insurance won't cover. He went on and on about how maybe we wouldn't be covered for theft only collision, etc. I said "look, they don't want the extra insurance coverage (for $29+ a day), just let them sign the waiver." He finally said he he would have no problem doing that as long as WE ALL ARE AWARE OF THE RISK.

Well, my parents drove away with a silver Durango and no extra insurance but not without a headache. We all knew not to get the insurance but after the rep talked circles around us, even I started doubting. I will call up our insuance company again to double check and also talk to the credit card company. I did read somewhere that some credit cards won't cover SUVs and trucks.

I had Mom check the total charges on the rental agreement while they were on the road - she made sure they deducted the 50% coupon before they left but that was it - she was too frazzled. Well, the total charges were about $40 more which turned out to be a fuel charge. She didn't remember the rep giving them an option about that.

The fuel charges aren't outrageous for such a large tank - but who plans so well that they can return the tank totally empty? I'll be flying down to FLL on Wednesday and we will stop by the Dollar counter to add my name to the rental agreeemnt for $5 a day. I'll try to get that fuel charge removed.

It still a great price even with the hard sell AND added fuel charges. If the savings weren't so sustantial ($300+), it wouldn't be worth it. But I'm glad they had a backup ressie, it was re-assuring to them that they could walk away any time.

I'm glad that the Orlando rental counter seems to be low pressure.

Wow, what a trying experience. Didn't have any of that with the MCO counter. We didn't have to show declarations page, opted for us refiling tank and used a Discover all with no problems. Sorry for your hassles.

At first they charge you for a full tank of gas. If you return it with a full tank they credit you the amount on the spot. If you return it with less then full, they nail you with a full tank charge.

vwllogo3rmd.gif
NJdvcers.gif

They had asked us at the counter which option we preferred and we told them we would fill it up before bringing it back. We ended up refueling at the gas station across from Downtown Disney for about $12 (for a little less than 1/2 a tank).

Used the 50% off promo without a hitch...arrived 12/2 about 11:30 am....walked out to the lot (oh how we love that) to a bright red, new DODGE DURANGO...... my DH and DG-Son flipped...we never got on the bus......he wanted to drive everywhere....he wants this SUV......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter