Kinda new around here---what happened in 2015 to make prices jump?

Keep in mind that BLT started sales in 2008 at $112, and was really the pace horse of the apocalypse for increase in direct pricing. AKV was always quite a bit cheaper. VGF's initial offering was $145. Poly's initial was $160 and held for a while. CCV starts last March at $176.

Resale stayed lower for a while, but as Disney has hiked direct prices up at new resorts, they've also raised prices direct for the sold-out resorts. Resale pricing has followed, especially at high demand properties like BCV or BWV, where home resort is essential much of the year.

In other words: Disney's been hiking the prices. It wasn't "something happened." It was more like being pecked to death by a duck.

Thanks for the response. I was looking at ROFR thread from 2013 on and it's shocking. Good news for long time owners!

Economy has been on a tear the last 5 years. I think that is part of the reason too.

That's the primary factor, IMO. The strong economy is allowing Disney to keep expanding DVC and charging the direct prices that they are.

If the economy tanks, I would expect the resale market pricing to soften up like it did during the last recession.

I agree it's the economy. I have noticed coming from UK that USA prices tend to quickly go up in most things when the economy is good, and come down when it's not so good. UK seems a bit more stable on its pricing, economy good or bad.

I agree it's the economy. I have noticed coming from UK that USA prices tend to quickly go up in most things when the economy is good, and come down when it's not so good. UK seems a bit more stable on its pricing, economy good or bad.

I hear you. Here in Denmark the prices are always up no matter how good or bad the economy is o_O

Even with DVC having no history of lowering their prices I wonder what they would do if the economy tanks. They could do the obvious and offer incentives but if the economy tanks I dont think that would be enough.

If people can't afford 100 points at $18,200 there is no way they can afford it at ie. $15,000

Well, last time the economy tanked, DVC did not lower prices - but they did stop exercising ROFR on a lot of contracts, and I believe offered some nice incentives (like free cruises - I think free cruises were happening around then). When they stopped exercising ROFR, that meant that the resale market got really cheap. For Disney, they want the cash - not exercising ROFR gives them cash. They are stuck with what they are selling and building, but its long term capital, and they push back future expansion until the economy recovers.

Well, last time the economy tanked, DVC did not lower prices - but they did stop exercising ROFR on a lot of contracts, and I believe offered some nice incentives (like free cruises - I think free cruises were happening around then). When they stopped exercising ROFR, that meant that the resale market got really cheap. For Disney, they want the cash - not exercising ROFR gives them cash. They are stuck with what they are selling and building, but its long term capital, and they push back future expansion until the economy recovers.
DVC were still exercising contracts but only at VGC from what I could tell. In 2010 I had a VGC 300 point contract for $15000 that got taken by ROFR. DVC did not buy any WDW contracts though. I had 160 point HH contract fully loaded for $5k pass, SSR fully loaded 200 pointer for $8k pass and there were a lot of great deals to be had 2010-2011.

I'll add another cent to the pile. DVC is very attractive now with the recent increases of WDW Hotel pricing. We had a family suite at AoA in 2015, and it was around 330, maybe 350 a night during Spring season. I think this was the Same room is pushing almost 500 a night right now.

After that trip we learned about renting DVC points. For about the same price we could get a 1 bedroom at BLT and have a washer/dryer, kitchen, and be closer to MK. We rented DVC for our 2016 trip and we loved it. We ended up purchasing last summer.

Someone else said it on here, but DVC is somewhat of a hedge against the inflation of WDW hotel prices, but I do find a lot of value in the amenities in the 1+ bedroom villas.

I would say the hotel price increases have fueled a good portion of the DVC demand. More people renting points, leading to more people wanting to buy (especially resale), high demand, shorter supply, increased prices.

It is DVC driving up direct prices so this in turns drives up resale, because it still makes resale a better deal than direct. The strong economy is also to blame as they wouldn't be increasing prices if contracts weren't selling. We thankfully bought at the end of 2015, but had we waited another year we might not have been able to afford the AKV contract we bought. Today the same contract would be some where around $3000-4000 more than what we paid - crazy! You always wonder how high can direct DVC prices go but somehow they keep increasing and people keep paying those prices.

Let’s not dismiss the effect of social media, fan pages, message boards etc that have done more promo than Disney could have. Renting is in huge demand! We learned about it by booking SSR for cash via disney but ten rented 3xs and now have purchased twice. Renting is creating customers and keeping owners from selling a little bit too.

When the market tanked in 2001 after 9/11 DVC developer costs tanked as well. In 2008 they stopped exercising ROFR BUT the resale world also tanked. It happens. I hope it doesn't happen again because all my timeshares (Disney Vacation Club, Marriotts and others) went down substantially in value.

I'll add another cent to the pile. DVC is very attractive now with the recent increases of WDW Hotel pricing. We had a family suite at AoA in 2015, and it was around 330, maybe 350 a night during Spring season. I think this was the Same room is pushing almost 500 a night right now.

After that trip we learned about renting DVC points. For about the same price we could get a 1 bedroom at BLT and have a washer/dryer, kitchen, and be closer to MK. We rented DVC for our 2016 trip and we loved it. We ended up purchasing last summer.

Someone else said it on here, but DVC is somewhat of a hedge against the inflation of WDW hotel prices, but I do find a lot of value in the amenities in the 1+ bedroom villas.

I would say the hotel price increases have fueled a good portion of the DVC demand. More people renting points, leading to more people wanting to buy (especially resale), high demand, shorter supply, increased prices.
I agree with this. We are doing two cash only stays this summer and I asked DH if it made sense to buy more points instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!