KLM flights refund?

Soozeej

Mouseketeer
Wonder if anyone has any advice as we are confused. We had booked to go to Orlando via atlanta from Manchester 6 weeks today. 26th june with klm. Husband thinks all we will be able to get is the voucher, not a refund? If the flight still goes but advice is essential travel only? I don't want a voucher as I'm unsure if we will be able to go next year due to 2 eldest being at uni and also dont know how much flights will be next year. We had also booked to go with another family so might not be able to coordinate to so it again. 😭 We have today applied for a refund on the villa. (airbnb)

If you cancel you will be offered a credit note. If you do nothing and KLM cancel you are entitled to a refund. The FCO advisory makes no difference to KLM’s obligations, it only impacts your travel insurance.
I would wait until a week or so before to see what KLM do.
Is it a KLM flight or a code share with Virgin?

Thanks for reply. Flight codes are KL and delta. Operated by virgin and delta. I can't figure out if the upcoming flights on the route are cancelled, looks like the flight leaving Manchester today for example was going via Amsterdam.

https://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/prepare_for_travel/up_to_date/flight_update/index.htm
So this suggests that even if KLM cancel, they will issue a credit note initially, but that if you don’t use that credit note within 12 months, KLM will then issue a refund. However, if you cancel before KLM cancels, then you are only entitled to a credit note and cannot request a refund even after 12 months.

• Your travel voucher is valid to use until 31 December 2021 and can be used on KLM, Air France, Delta Air Lines, Virgin Atlantic, and Kenya Airways flights.
  • You can use your voucher to book a flight that takes place after the expiration date of the voucher.
  • If your flight has been cancelled by the airline, your travel voucher is refundable after 1 year from the date of issue. If you’ve requested a voucher while your flight was not cancelled by the airline, the travel voucher is non-refundable.

Thank you, certainly looks like that, not great really. Difficult times I know but dont really want a klm voucher for £3000 sitting around for a year. Ugh.

Thanks, that looks a bit more promising. That's us just heard tonight that airbnb refund has been confirmed, such a mix of feelings! Relief but sad too.

Thank you, certainly looks like that, not great really. Difficult times I know but dont really want a klm voucher for £3000 sitting around for a year. Ugh.

KLM changed their policy on the 14th of May and they now have two policies depending on when your flight was cancelled. Assuming that your flight has not yet been cancelled, the following will apply to you if KLM cancel the flight:

Flight cancelled by the airline on or after 14 May 2020
After careful consideration and in response to the Dutch government’s reformed advice regarding the voucher policy offered by airlines, we are adjusting our refund policy for flights that are cancelled by the airline on or after 14 May 2020.
If your flight was cancelled by the airline on or after 14 May 2020, you can opt to request a cash refund or a voucher. The value of the voucher will be somewhat higher than the cash refund. This increased value also applies if you’ve already received your voucher.
We’ll soon update our website with the revised policies, additional instructions on how to request a cash refund, and more details on the increased value of travel vouchers.

You can, as the statement says, ask for a refund straight away, but they are saying it may take longer to process these at the moment. The vouchers they are offering will be worth15% more than the cash refund, so your £3000 tickets should get you a voucher worth £3450. If you keep the voucher for a year and cash it in, it will revert back to £3000. Obviously, all this only applies if KLM cancel.

The way Air France-KLM have acted these past few months is absolutely disgusting. They have shown complete disdain for their customers and have chosen to disregard EU rules. People whose flights were cancelled between March and May the 14th have been told that the old policy still applies - that they have to keep the vouchers and will be able to claim a refund in a year. Basically they have decided not to follow the law between March and May 14th.

So, to paraphrase, you will be able to get a refund if KLM cancel, but I wouldn't bank on getting it within the 7 days that they're supposed to take.

Last edited:
Thanks for replies, I've got my head round it all a bit more now, so just need to keep fingers crossed the flight is actually cancelled.

The way Air France-KLM have acted these past few months is absolutely disgusting. They have shown complete disdain for their customers and have chosen to disregard EU rules. People whose flights were cancelled between March and May the 14th have been told that the old policy still applies - that they have to keep the vouchers and will be able to claim a refund in a year. Basically they have decided not to follow the law between March and May 14th.

So, to paraphrase, you will be able to get a refund if KLM cancel, but I wouldn't bank on getting it within the 7 days that they're supposed to take.

And in both these cases, get on to your credit card company and have them perform a section 75 chargeback. It might take a while, but I imagine it'll be faster than dealing with the airlines and their "oh, where's the form, I seem to have lost it for the next 100 days" mentality...

The way Air France-KLM have acted these past few months is absolutely disgusting.
That is rather a broad blanket statement. KLM scheduled an humanitarian repatriation flight, which allowed my young adult son to return from Ecuador to the U.K. in March, so they are not all bad.
Also, I am not sure that it is always right to demand that other parties assume the risk, loss, consequences of something such as a pandemic. There has to be some balance.
Perhaps after this more people will take the time to read the small print of their contracts, buy decent travel insurance and/ or flexible airfares?
Also, if we all demand immediate refunds from airlines and as a result many face bankruptcy, how will that impact future airfares? Surely if demand for worldwide travel remains the same but there are fewer airlines/routes/ seats available on aeroplanes, consumers will face far higher ticket prices? So aren’t we hurting ourselves by not compromising and being reasonable?
I don’t think that we can say, ‘there is a pandemic, I have a contract with XY, it isn’t my fault or XY’s fault but nevertheless I want XY to bear all the loss and I want to bear none of it.’
Airlines could operate the flights empty and then say to consumers, ‘you chose not to fly because of the U.K. FCO advisory, you also chose to purchase a less expensive, non refundable refundable flight, so, well basically.... tough!’.

Just playing Devil’s Advocate here but I do believe that there should be some middle ground.

I do see what you mean but sadly cant afford to lose that amount of money. In other areas of my life I am still paying for things that I'm not getting kids clubs etc in order to help keep businesses afloat in these difficult times but unfortunately I can't just wave goodbye to thousands.

I do see what you mean but sadly cant afford to lose that amount of money. In other areas of my life I am still paying for things that I'm not getting kids clubs etc in order to help keep businesses afloat in these difficult times but unfortunately I can't just wave goodbye to thousands.
I think that I would telephone them now and ask for a refund, but if they refuse, don’t cancel but instead play the waiting game.
Keep a note of who you spoke to and when in case you need it for your insurers/credit card company etc. Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter