La Brea Tar Pits?

Yes you can get directions - but for a more concrete idea - they are DOWNTOWN in LA in the city - surrounded by city stuff like an art museum, etc. THey are not out in the country like I first pictured them! Ha ha - so that is amusing.

Near the intersection of Wilshire Blvd and Fairfax, next door to the LA County Museum of Art, just a mile or so from Farmer's Market.

Yes you can get directions - but for a more concrete idea - they are DOWNTOWN in LA in the city - surrounded by city stuff like an art museum, etc.
You got that right - click on the aerial view on Mapquest to get the idea.

The adjacent art museum is the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, aka LACMA, one of the major museums of the region.

La Brea Tar Pits are not downtown. It's certainly not in the country, nothing in LA is, but it's not downtown. Personally, I think the Pits are boring, not to mention stinky.

They are closer to Farmers Market then they are to downtown LA. I used to work across the street and ate my lunch by them. Not much to see, but every once in a while the tar pits bubble.

La Brea Tar Pits are not downtown. It's certainly not in the country, nothing in LA is, but it's not downtown. Personally, I think the Pits are boring, not to mention stinky.

I second on Stinky... it was so bad that DS and I had to go into the museum and not do the outside part...

I love educational stuff, I'm a teacher. The museum was ok, but the entire thing was not that great. I expected bubbling tar, and got none! The skeletons in the museum were really cool tho. I would skip it if you have other things to do.

The Tar Pits are a must-do for our out-of-town guests. To think that in the middle of the Wilshire District, a very affluent area (maybe a mile or two east of Rodeo Drive) there is this small park that has a huge pit of tar that still bubbles. There is another pit that is being excavated, and has been for years. There is more tar seeping up through the ground, and maybe 3 years ago or so a tiny little pit began, and got big enough that they had to fence it in. I find this stuff pretty fascinating - and to imagine what the world we live in today - how it was hundreds and even thousands of years ago.

They erected the Page Museum next to the largest pit, and it contains reconstructed animals that were found in the tar pits.

When I was growing up we used to call this part of our "inland tour" where my family would take guests to the Tarpits, Hollywood, Griffith Park Observatory, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter