LA Restaurant recommendations around Universal Studios

ofcabbagesandkings

DIS Veteran
Hello, I'm traveling to LA with my eldest son (11) and we'll be spending one day at Universal Studios park, staying at the Hilton nearby. I don't like chain restaurants and that seems to be all that's on offer at Citywalk. Any recommendations for places to eat nearby that aren't too stuffy to bring a tween? We would love to find some great sushi or an authentic Mexican spot. TIA!

It’s more a local chain, but really good and family owned. They have a location in Burbank less than a 10 minute drive from Universal. Their next location will be in Downtown Disney taking over the former La Brea Bakery.

https://www.portosbakery.com/

It’s hard to categorize. The family started off as Cuban expats, and much of their menu is Cuban or Cuban-American, such as Cubano sandwiches. But they do a lot of things well, including croissants. The items I have to have are their strudels (especially guava-cheese, their cheese rolls, and the ground beef filled potato balls. My best description is “superb value”.

My family’s favorite fast Mexican joint, Poquito Mas, is just across the 101 from Universal. It’s a chain, but a very small LA-area one. The food is more Cal-Mex than pure Mexican, but it’s fresh, made in front of you, and won’t come anywhere close to breaking the bank. It’s a hole in the wall with limited seating inside (there’s also an outdoor patio) and it can get crowded but service is fast. https://www.poquitomas.com/location/studio-city-the-original/

if you want an old Hollywood experience, the Smoke House is across the street from Warner Bros Studios and has been around since 1940s. It’s a decent steakhouse, but real draw is sitting in part of movie making history (for example, George Clooney named his production company after the restaurant) https://www.smokehouse1946.com/

Another local institution since the 1940s in Miceli’s, next door to Poquito Mas. It’s typical Italian restaurant food but the draw is the singing waitstaff, from opera to Disney show tunes to standards. It’s LA, so the quality of the talent is pretty great if you and your tween are up for some entertainment with your meal. https://www.micelis.restaurant/

The neighborhood of Toluca Lake is just down the hill from Warners/Universal and has lots of restaurants, from quick service to fine dining. Riverside Drive is the main drag. The oldest remaining Bob’s Big Boy is at 4211 Riverside and has been restored to its 1950s glory; they even have car hop service on weekend nights and a classic car show on Friday nights. Drew Carey likes to sit at the counter and the restaurant has been featured in various films. The food is classic diner and burger fare; it’s usually decent. Breakfast is good, if you like diner breakfast. https://bobs.net/

These are the more unique-to-LA places that I can think of, but if you’d like more upscale and/or foodie recommendations let me know! I used to live and work in the area and I’m there often.

if you go to Porto’s - which is delicious! - be aware there is often a line, depending on time of day.

Last edited:
Oh, and just realized you asked about sushi -

Sushi Yuzu is on Riverside in Toluca Lake; it’s a bit pricey but a neighborhood favorite (which also means it can have a wait). https://www.yuzuya-corporation.com/

Sugarfish is a chain but only in LA & NY; it’s pretty popular. There’s one on Ventura Blvd in Studio City, not too far from Universal. https://sugarfishsushi.com/food-menus/la-singlepg-menu/

That area has many sushi restaurants and everyone has their favorite; you probably can’t go wrong looking at Yelp and seeing which place suits your budget and fancy.

I live nearby! First of all, I also highly recommend Portos also! Delicious food for a great price. It can get a little chaotic in there so just make sure to listen to the employees, they will help you out! It's great for all meals and you can find some snacks to bring back to your room. For meals I recommend any of the rice and beans plate and the grilled chicken sandwich, and I absolutely love their apple strudel.

For Mexican, I really like Don Cucos. They aren't a chain but they do have a few locations. It's on Riverside Dr. in Toluca Lake, in that area the commentor above mentioned. They have a huge menu and the inside reminds me of sitting inside Epcot's Mexico pavilion, but more authentic, and not stuffy at all. If you want something even more casual, Roadside Taco is within walking distance. They are one of those "order and they'll page you when you're meal is ready to pick up" places. They have a huge outdoor area to sit. It's definitely a local favorite!

Kind of an interesting choice, but since you mentioned sushi just down the street from Universal is Gokoku Vegetarian Ramen shop. Yes, it's a vegetarian/vegan menu but I'm not either and still love it. Their mushroom ramen is fantastic. They also have vegetarian sushi. It's probably not for everyone, but it's really close (like I can see the park from their sidewalk) so thought I would recommend it! It's a tiny little shop with maybe a dozen tables, also definitely not stuffy.

My two favorites: Both only open breakfast and lunch
Vivian's 10968 Ventura Blvd
Good Neighbor 3701 Cahuenga Blvd

A little farther is Ohana Korean BBQ11269 Ventura Blvd - small place, closes at 8:80.

and then there's Ernie's Mexican 4410 Lankershim Blvd

You'll get a lot of heated opinion from locals. But it's a very typical California Mexican restaurant with all the usual favs. I love the place.

Walt Disney's favorite restaurant-Tam O Shanter. 100 year old prime rib house with Scottish decor.

My two favorites: Both only open breakfast and lunch
Vivian's 10968 Ventura Blvd
Good Neighbor 3701 Cahuenga Blvd

A little farther is Ohana Korean BBQ11269 Ventura Blvd - small place, closes at 8:80.

and then there's Ernie's Mexican 4410 Lankershim Blvd

You'll get a lot of heated opinion from locals. But it's a very typical California Mexican restaurant with all the usual favs. I love the place.

Do you happen to know if you can walk from the Garland to Vivian’s? Looking at Google Earth it looks like we can walk, but it also looks like we’d be walking on a busy road so I’m not sure it’s safe.

Do you happen to know if you can walk from the Garland to Vivian’s? Looking at Google Earth it looks like we can walk, but it also looks like we’d be walking on a busy road so I’m not sure it’s safe.
The roads are busy. But a very safe walk.

Any Recommendations for a Restaurant close to Warner Bros. Studios since the Tour ends 3hrs and the next would start in 2 hrs after that in Paramount Pictures Studio that I can grab something before to hurry there.

I have to rely on UBER and or Riz Limo Transportation Services so not really much of an around there since have no driving license or even a car logical for that. ??? Is there some Restaurants or Food Places????

It is for my 2025 first and possible only Trip to LA and DL CA

Last edited:
Any Recommendations for a Restaurant close to Warner Bros. Studios since the Tour ends 3hrs and the next would start in 2 hrs after that in Paramount Pictures Studio that I can grab something before to hurry there.

I have to rely on UBER and or Riz Limo Transportation Services so not really much of an around there since have no driving license or even a car logical for that. ??? Is there some Restaurants or Food Places????

It you are in a huge hurry, the Warner Brothers studio has the Central Perk Cafe in the building at the end of the tour. You can just grab a sandwich or something there.

There is a famous restaurant right outside the Warner Brother's Studios called The Smoke House. We haven't been there, but I would like to go.

I like Porto's. There will likely be a line, but if you're taking Uber or a limo service, it should be fairly quick to get there.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/War...2m2!1d-118.3208986!2d34.0837936!3e0?entry=ttu

It you are in a huge hurry, the Warner Brothers studio has the Central Perk Cafe in the building at the end of the tour. You can just grab a sandwich or something there.

There is a famous restaurant right outside the Warner Brother's Studios called The Smoke House. We haven't been there, but I would like to go.
Thanks for the reply yeah at the moment I planning that for my Trip 2025 having those both Studio Tours on a Saturday and it seems those Food Locations like Central Perk and those Restaurants they having in the WB Studios aren´t open on Saturdays and Sundays only from MO to Friday and I am planning to visit the Universal Studios on Thursday and Friday so I will only have time on Saturday.

I have seen next to the Studio there is something called the Dog Haus having Burgers, Hot Dogs and such that could be a option. How close is the Smoke House and is there even enough walking pavements for streetwalkers surrounding the Studio that I could even walk to that or some other restaurant.???

Did you maybe even know where exactly I have to be for the Tour there which Area??? I don´t know if it was the WB or the Paramount I´ve seen some Tour would have had a included Lunch as well maybe WB would have also a 5 hour Tour were that would be included???

But since I have to see the Paramount after no time for that so I hope I will find something close that I can eat quick and taking not to late the UBER to Paramount for their Tour.

Unfortunately being carless makes things not so easy and I can´t do too much around and considered enough for my safety as well, that´s why I can´t walk to the Hollywood Sign too risky moutain lions snakes and what not risky walkpaths.

A lot of things I will miss like seeing celebrity homes and such Playboy Mansion would be something or seeing celebrities maybe in Disneyland sometimes they lurking around there. Watching a Show at Staples Center or so or a Concert at the Hollywood Bowl John Williams or some Musicians.

At least somekinda cool visiting such places in GTA V even when it isn´t quite the same as being really there but they made those almost identical like Griffith Observatorium or the Bowl. The Vinewood Signs :=)

Thanks for the reply yeah at the moment I planning that for my Trip 2025 having those both Studio Tours on a Saturday and it seems those Food Locations like Central Perk and those Restaurants they having in the WB Studios aren´t open on Saturdays and Sundays only from MO to Friday and I am planning to visit the Universal Studios on Thursday and Friday so I will only have time on Saturday.

I'm pretty sure Central Perk Cafe is open on Saturday. I think it is open every day there are Warner Brother Studio Tours running. It is at the end of the tour where the store is.

Warner Brothers has a Studio Tour Plus tour that includes a lunch from Central Perk. It is twice the price of the regular tour. The guided tour portion is about an hour longer than the regular tour- so the guided part is about double the regular tour.

Warner Brothers also has a Studio Deluxe tour which is about double the price of the Studio Tour Plus. That tour includes a meal in the actual Warner Brothers Commissary Fine Dining room, which is not otherwise available to the public. That tour is estimated to take about 6 hours.

It is very easy to find the area where the Warner Brothers Tour starts. There is a tour welcome area. It is at 3400 Warner Blvd., Burbank CA. Your Uber/Lyft driver will easily find it with that address. The Warner Brothers Tour is really great.

I don't know about walking to Smoke House. You would have to walk on the outside perimeter of the studio lot-- tour visitors can't just freely go around the studio lot-- so it might be about a 10 or 15 minute walk from the tour parking/welcome area. I think I have heard of people walking there from the tour- so it can probably be done. Someone else might have a better answer.

If you go to the Griffith Observatory, it has great views of the Hollywood sign.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter