Last minute first time trip to Disneyland, a few questions

Aermaia

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone!

A couple weeks ago, feeling in need of a break after a stressful few months of work, and with lowered inhibitions due to a brunch which included a few bloody marys, I decided to turn what was supposed to be a staycation the week of July 4th into a SoCal/Disneyland vacation. My mother will be tagging along with me, as she took the week off as well. Neither of us has been to Disneyland, though I have been to LA and much of Southern California and lived in Palm Springs briefly, but have not been back to California in 7 years. This will be my mother's first time to California. I have a few questions about our current plan and I would love your feedback.

We fly into LGB on Monday July 3rd and leave Sunday July 9th. We will have a rental car and we have enough time to do something in the afternoon on arrival day, but not enough time to do anything departure day. We are staying and Castle Inn and Suites.

Currently my plan is to sight see in LA on Monday (La Brea Tar Pits as I've never been, driving around to show my mom some other staples before driving out to check into our hotel). On July 4th I was considering staying out of the parks and instead doing a brief daytrip to Palm Springs to see friends and show my mother around). So, our Disneyland days would be Wednesday the 5th-Saturday the 8th.

Since we are from New England, I am planning on taking advantage of the time change and getting there at 7:00 am to wait for rope drops (should we go earlier?). Also, when touring parks, my mother and I do like rides and would like to experience most of them, but we are not the type to have to ride things multiple times. We don't spend time on character meets, do like to browse shops, and plan on opting for quick service over table service this trip. We booked a WoC dining package one night and a MSEP on-the-go package another, so that we can utilize the reserved space for both. With all that said, here are my questions:

I'm trying to figure out if we should spend an additional day exploring outside the parks. So, do we need 4 days of Disneyland and California Adventure as first timers, and if so do we need park hoppers? It seems like the park hoppers would be convenient since the parks are so close, but has some other combination of days in the parks/park hoppers worked best for your two person party?

What do crowd level 6-7 days look like at Disneyland? We usually go to Disneyworld in the fall and hit parks on lower than average crowd days, so I'm trying to gauge how much of a shock I'll be in.

How long is the walk to the park from Castle Inn and Suites? Is there some secret I should know about a for the fastest way to get from hotel to park?

This next question is silly, but as someone who only knows Disneyworld, is the amount of daily walking similar at Disneyland? At Disneyworld we average anywhere from 8-15 miles walked a day.

I think that is all my questions for now. This turned out to be a lot longer of a post than expected, but I thank everyone for reading and offering any guidance you have!

Are you sure you want to take her to Palm Springs? It's going to be brutally hot.

Are you sure you want to take her to Palm Springs? It's going to be brutally hot.

I actually lived in Palm Springs through the summer and loved it! I'd take summer there over September in Florida any day honestly, as we are both fans of dry heat, and wouldn't be spending too much time outdoors in direct heat/sunlight (though I may take her up the tramway, if it's open on the 4th). I'm still quite torn on using that day for Palm Springs though, more so based on the travel time.

I'd probably take an afternoon and go to the beach, maybe just to walk around and get some food if you aren't "lay in the sand" types. You could still do Disney in the morning while it's nice and maybe head back into the parks at night if you felt like it...

I actually lived in Palm Springs through the summer and loved it! I'd take summer there over September in Florida any day honestly, as we are both fans of dry heat, and wouldn't be spending too much time outdoors in direct heat/sunlight (though I may take her up the tramway, if it's open on the 4th). I'm still quite torn on using that day for Palm Springs though, more so based on the travel time.

I looked it up, and the forecast high today is going to be 118ºF. Dry heat or not, that's brutal. People die in that kind of heat. Maybe it will cool down a bit in a week, but for me it's a health concern.

Oh, it definitely is brutal, and having lived in Palm Springs through the summer when averages are in the 110-120 degree range I do know what to expect. I plan on showing her around more in the AC'd car versus by foot, and definitely limiting any outdoor time, if we do end up going.

I would vote for four days in the parks, with a park hopper. It's so easy and quick to hop. I'd hate to be in Park A on a given day, wishing I could do a few things in Park B that day as well.

Your walk from the hotel will be around 8 minutes or so, depending on how quick you walk and whether it's at the beginning or end of the day. Just head North on Harbor and cross at the pedestrian entrance.

I think the shock of a 6-7 day might come from the fact that Disneyland--and its streets and walkways--are much smaller than WDW, which increases the crowding factor.

As far as walking distance, we average 9-10 miles per day, but we go from open to close during the shorter hour days in the Fall.

Thanks Skyegirl1999 and auntiegem! I'm leaning towards 4 days/park hopper with a possible afternoon trip out of the parks now to visit the ocean. I'm also glad to hear that it is an easy walk into the park. Originally I had booked us at the Eden Roc, but after reading some less than stellar reviews on here I switched, and it sounds like for the better. I am going to mentally prepare myself for the smaller walkways, as well.

I think what will shock you more than the wait times will be just how many people are on the walkways. Mentally prepare yourself that sometimes, DL in particular (not so much at DCA) will feel like Times Square on New Years Eve because the walkways are lovely but tiny. The Tomorrowland corridor and Adventureland are especially bad. The actual waits for attractions, however, tend to be anywhere from somewhat to a lot shorter than at WDW. I wouldn't put too much stock in crowd calendars; assume it will be super busy and congested and be pleasantly surprised if it is not. The crowds won't impede your ability to do attractions too much, for the most part, but they will clog the walkways.

Definitely be there before opening. The locals sleep in and/or can't make opening due to traffic, etc. so the parks are pretty dead before 11 or so.

Walking time from Castle will probably be around 10/15 Minutes. No secret or trick routes, just walk down Harbor and follow the people.

4 days is reasonable. Definitely get hoppers. The parks face each other and it's so easy to hop, it's like crossing the street and you don't even have to go through security or bag check again to do so. Hopping takes 5 minutes or less.

As for more walking or less, it's hard to say. The parks are smaller but they are both jammed with things to do, and with a hopper you have access to everything at the resort at all times. Downtown Disney is right there too. My friend thought he walked more at DL because there's no need to ever use transportation or anything other than your feet to get around. And because the summer weather is less punishing than Orlando, it's easier to be in the parks longer. Depending on how you tour it could go either way I think.

An additional day exploring outside the park, if you're talking about just DLR I would say no. I'd do any exploring as time/interest allows during your park days (or an arrival evening) and skip Paradise Pier completely. I wouldn't say there's nothing to explore but it's kind of limited outside of the parks themselves IMO. Any exploring could be easily completed in a couple of hours.

You could get the 4 day park hoppers and if you feel you want to go for that 5th day you can always add a day to your tickets. The cost to add the 5th day is very low.

You want to be well rested for Wednesday morning, that is your best chunk of time for the entire Disneyland visit. I think the crowd numbers will be 7-8, or higher, check here for reports coming in from the 4th and prior days, if those come in 8-9, then your days will be 7-8.

What is your mother's experience with the "shore"? The Pacific ocean could be the better choice. i for one, am always encouraging folks to spend a night in Palm Springs, having lived there myself, ... especially in the limited environment experience of your mother, but traffic has increased since your seven years and the flow of folks coming out of the east, well, it could actually break your vacation. I would stay put in LA, a four day 4th weekend in California is asking for a disaster, ocean or desert, ...the reality is that, with the 4 day weekend....it is a really bad time to be a tourist in California.

I have only spent Columbus day weekends in new England and was always charmed by the way folks handled themselves going back home to Boston, Hartford, NYC,, the infrastructure handled those crowds well. 4th of july in New England was just down the street, so no need to travel much or far.

But on the west coast, with the four day weekend, the 4th is going to be an ugly monster.

You want to be well rested for Wednesday morning, that is your best chunk of time for the entire Disneyland visit. I think the crowd numbers will be 7-8, or higher, check here for reports coming in from the 4th and prior days, if those come in 8-9, then your days will be 7-8.

What is your mother's experience with the "shore"? The Pacific ocean could be the better choice. i for one, am always encouraging folks to spend a night in Palm Springs, having lived there myself, ... especially in the limited environment experience of your mother, but traffic has increased since your seven years and the flow of folks coming out of the east, well, it could actually break your vacation. I would stay put in LA, a four day 4th weekend in California is asking for a disaster, ocean or desert, ...the reality is that, with the 4 day weekend....it is a really bad time to be a tourist in California.

I have only spent Columbus day weekends in new England and was always charmed by the way folks handled themselves going back home to Boston, Hartford, NYC,, the infrastructure handled those crowds well. 4th of july in New England was just down the street, so no need to travel much or far.

But on the west coast, with the four day weekend, the 4th is going to be an ugly monster.
I was concerned about exactly what you said! My mother has never experienced the Pacific Ocean, so maybe, even though I'd love to visit with my friends and the sights in Palm Springs (I do miss it dearly), I should stick to staying local and taking her to the coast on the fourth. It also seems like due to the possible crowds, I should stick with my 4-day plan of touring Disney. Is Griffin Observatory a huge pull on the fourth? In my mind, I see it being a wonderful place to catch fireworks, but have NO idea about what it is actually like on the holiday.

research it on line....not going to like what you find.......
Haha, considering neither of us care a huge amount about fireworks we will skip. I will plan for something a bit off the beaten path (which we both love), but local, on the fourth so we don't spend the day in traffic.

Enjoy the tarpits, we love it there. The art museum is next to it if thats something you like. If you are there in the afternoon, head over to The Grove mall, not too far really nice mall, and if you drive to the top of the parking structure you get a really cool view of the city, great sunset view.

Castle in is pretty much actoss the street, less than 10 minute walk. If you like pizza, walk over to tge Anaheim Inn and suites next there and go to the Pizza Press restaurant, really good custom pizzas at a decent price.

Last edited:
Enjoy the tarpits, we love it there. The art museum is next to it if thats something you like. If you are there in the afternoon, head over to The Grove mall, not too far really nice mall, and if you drive to the top of the parking structure you get a really cool view of the city, great sunset view.
I didn't know there was an art museum next door, which is definitely up our alley! Will have to check it out.

This thread will give you lots of helpful information (most of which is up to date): A DLR Guide for WDW Vets.

LACMA (next door to the Tar Pits) is a very fun museum. Also look into visiting the Getty Center and the Getty Villa (will need a reservation for the Villa). Near LACMA and the Tar Pits is the Farmer's Market -- lots of fun places to eat and often good celebrity sightings. The Grove next door -- an upscale, outdoor shopping center -- is also fun.

Not far from there is the Hollywood & Highland shopping center. You can do many of the touristy Hollywood things from this one location (parking is validated for 2 hours, I think -- any place will give you a validation; just ask.) The Walk of Fame is out front, Hollywood Sign viewing area is on an upper lever; Dolby Theater (home of the Oscars Ceremony) is in the center, Disney's El Capitan Theatre is across the street, Chinese Theatre is next door, etc.

DLR will do its special patriotic fireworks for several days before the 4th, so you could view them from the esplanade on the 3rd without using a day on your tickets, if you want to skip the parks on the 4th.

Would you be interested in an outdoor concert at the Hollywood Bowl for the 4th? That is a tradition for many Southern Californians. The schedule is online, so you could find out who will be playing. Inexpensive tickets in the back rows are usually available. The Bowl will have fireworks after the concert. There are park and ride or park w/shuttle locations for a very reasonable fee.

The reason so many people are commenting on the crowded walkways at DL is because the park was built in 1955 without the infrastructure that the more modern parks, like DCA, have. Add to that, the DLRR has been down for construction and won't re-open until later in July, so all the guests that would have been riding the train have to add to the pedestrian traffic. It's not so bad if you are prepared and understand the reasoning behind it. And all the more reason to find fun places to duck in for a break.

ETA: Re: Palm Springs on the 4th
Since you used to live there, the weather isn't news to you. But the drive is going to be tiring and you said you wanted to do rope drop the next morning. Personally, I would look for something to do closer to DLR for the 4th so that you and your mom could get a good night's rest and be ready to go (!) the next morning.

Last edited:
If it were me, I might consider attempting the parks on July 4 rather than doing something else. The beaches will be packed, the freeways will be a mess. Maybe you will luck out and the parks won't be too bad. After all, the actual 4th is the last day of a four-day weekend and many people will be headed back to work Wednesday. Plus I think a lot of locals like to do things like beaches, parades, family BBQs on the Fourth. And maybe people will fear big crowds on the Fourth and so avoid it. I wonder if the parks will be really busy on the weekend and Monday and quieter on Tuesday. It's a gamble for sure, but you never know. I definitely wouldn't drive to Palm Springs on a holiday.

We have happened to have been in Orange County every 4th of July for the last 4 years for a baseball tournament.

I only have 1 piece of advice. Do NOT do the beach. We tried both Newport and Huntington on the 4th before we learned our lesson. You will sit in traffic and if you find place to park, you will have quite a hike to get to the sand.

The beaches will be more enjoyable any other day than they will be on the 4th IMHO.

At the risk of hijacking the thread (or at least detouring it), we're looking at driving from Palm Springs to San Diego the morning of the 4th, probably going to the zoo first and then our hotel.

Is this insane? Or just allow for extra traffic? We don't expect to see the entire zoo, just animals that are common elsewhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter