Late May weather?

nkereina

Last chance to lose your keys.
We'll be visiting the third week of May. I've read the web sites that publish averages and historical temps, and they seem to report mid-upper 70s as a high most days. However, I've read here that it can be hot - 80s/90s. For the people who live locally or visit during May often, what do you typically experience?

FWIW, 70s to me is jeans and t-shirts, no swimming. But 80s-90s would be pool, tank top and shorts weather. Just trying to plan accordingly!

We'll be visiting the third week of May. I've read the web sites that publish averages and historical temps, and they seem to report mid-upper 70s as a high most days. However, I've read here that it can be hot - 80s/90s. For the people who live locally or visit during May often, what do you typically experience?

FWIW, 70s to me is jeans and t-shirts, no swimming. But 80s-90s would be pool, tank top and shorts weather. Just trying to plan accordingly!
I mean, it could be in the 60s; it could be in the 70s; it could be in the 80s... what we “typically experience” won’t matter. You’re going to have to check the weather report when your trip is close. :confused3

Been wondering myself. We'll be in California in the third and fourth weeks of May with one day at Disneyland. I've heard of May grey so that could be a thing. 70s to me is shorts weather though lol. I'm Canadian and 70F is about 21C. That's a normal summer day where I live.

I've only lived here for 3.5 years...but I don't remember May ever being "hot". It's usually May gray, then June gloom, then it starts getting hot in late July and on through August, September and maybe October. You just have to check right before you leave. This year so far it has rained and been cooler than average (although it's finally almost back to normal), so you never know what you can get.

You know, it is really hard to predict. Our weather can vary widely from year to year.

This year, so far, has been VERY cold and rainy. The fact that it is mid March and we have not gone to the pool yet is crazy. My kids have spring break next week and it still won't be swimming weather. Typically, we spend spring break at the pool every day (we have several heated pools in our neighborhood, but it's not warm enough for my kids until we hit at least 80 degrees). We had a brief stint of warm weather the weekend of March 16-17, but it's back to cooler temps now. It has only reached the mid 70s a handful of times this year.

Look at the weather forecast a week out from your trip and plan your outfits. Then check again 2 days before you leave and adjust accordingly. You can get weather anywhere from drizzly and low 60s (typical May grey) to blazing hot and in the 90s, if there is a stalled high pressure system.

I mean, it could be in the 60s; it could be in the 70s; it could be in the 80s... what we “typically experience” won’t matter. You’re going to have to check the weather report when your trip is close. :confused3

No kidding! lol! I know this, and I will check before my trip. Just looking for others' experiences in May... that's all.

One thing I've learned about California weather is to not even try to predict what it will be like. Usually when I come they have a heat wave (which is annoying, coming from Phoenix, haha). Seriously, we visited the end of February a few years ago, and they hit 99º the last day of our trip. And I wasn't paying attention to how much water I was drinking and ended up with like sun poisoning. (I'm a little heat-sensitive) It's so unpredictable! (Except August/September/October. I feel like it's almost always just hot then!)

To echo what everyone else has said, wait for a 7 day forecast. I've visited in May several times, and had temps 70-80. I also had a week-long birthday trip in May of 2014, and it was well over 100 every single day.

Could be 60s, could be 70s, could be 80s. The 90s in May would be really unusual but it happens occasionally! It’s really hard to predict our weather.

I was just going to post about our 2014 Mother’s Day trip. Holy hotness! I’m sure it’s well outside the norm but yeah it was over 100 every single day we were there.

Ask about this again the week before your trip. If there is any weird weather going on at the time or forecast for your trip dates, you'll hear about it then!

Last edited:
Lived within 15 miles of Disneyland all my life. No matter what the high, and it can vary a lot in May, it gets cold when the sun goes down. May is generally not what I would call hot (high 70's maybe 80), and it can be down right cool in the evenings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter