Latest Resale Restriction Buzz?

So I'm curious. When you book a Stay through DVC. How easy is it to change your hotel? Do you need to cancel your current reservation then pray and hope its there 5 mins later when you rebook? Or do you go into your current reservation and modify it like a non DVC reservation, or are you calling up and having disney do it over the phone?

Yes. Very easy to modify. Only limit with online is that it is all or nothing. So, if you go to modify and see some of the dates and would consider a split stay, you have to call because it will replace all the days if your original reservation.

When I am trying to get things switched for partial nightsI book that way to begin with and then have them combine later if I can’t get the 2nd resort

I have to update that I did my calculations wrong. I am only spending 43% more to stay at RIV, over the others.

But, I just got BWV SV studio for my arrival night, so I don’t even need to suffer through staying at AKV and got 5 points back!🤣🤣🤣🤣
Sandi, this comment isn't necessarily directed towards you and it certainly isn't meant as an attack on you or your opinion of AKV in any way, but if someone made that AKV comment about RIV, they would be getting attacked for hating on RIV. Just an observation in reading these boards over the last few months. Seems any negative comments about RIV are attacked, while negative comments about any other resort aren't generally attacked and are debated civilly.

Sandi, this comment isn't necessarily directed towards you and it certainly isn't meant as an attack on you or your opinion of AKV in any way, but if someone made that AKV comment about RIV, they would be getting attacked for hating on RIV. Just an observation in reading these boards over the last few months. Seems any negative comments about RIV are attacked, while negative comments about any other resort aren't generally attacked and are debated civilly.

No offense taken, but Im confused. What negative comment did I make about AKV?

Nothing I said even discussed the resort.

No offense taken, but Im confused. What negative comment did I make about AKV?

Nothing I said even discussed the resort.
That's sort of the point I guess. You said you were glad you won't have to suffer through a night there (since it's your least favorite resort) which is totally valid, but if someone had a similar comment about suffering through a RIV stay they would be attacked (not by you specifically). That's the vibe I get from these boards anyway with RIV. There are very strong opinions on RIV both ways. Everyone kind of just needs to relax when talking about it and just respect everyone's opinions. People don't have to agree with others opinions, but I wish the back and forth on RIV was more like it is on other resorts where people don't take offense to everything that is said whether negative or positive. There is a resort for everyone. I know you dislike AKV but love other resorts (BWV and BLT in particular if I'm not mistaken) meanwhile I love AKV and BLT is my least desirable. Even though we disagree on preferred resorts, we both love DVC and DIS. So I guess my point is why can't we all just get along and discuss valid points on RIV without anyone taking offense or getting overly defensive.

And just a sub bullet to all this, I apologize to everyone because this is all completely of topic of this thread.

That's sort of the point I guess. You said you were glad you won't have to suffer through a night there (since it's your least favorite resort) which is totally valid, but if someone had a similar comment about suffering through a RIV stay they would be attacked (not by you specifically). That's the vibe I get from these boards anyway with RIV. There are very strong opinions on RIV both ways. Everyone kind of just needs to relax when talking about it and just respect everyone's opinions. People don't have to agree with others opinions, but I wish the back and forth on RIV was more like it is on other resorts where people don't take offense to everything that is said whether negative or positive. There is a resort for everyone. I know you dislike AKV but love other resorts (BWV and BLT in particular if I'm not mistaken) meanwhile I love AKV and BLT is my least desirable. Even though we disagree on preferred resorts, we both love DVC and DIS. So I guess my point is why can't we all just get along and discuss valid points on RIV without anyone taking offense or getting overly defensive.

And just a sub bullet to all this, I apologize to everyone because this is all completely of topic of this thread.

I disagree that anyone would be criticized for simply saying they don’t want to stay at RIV. I have yet to read any post like that..and I read a lot of posts!

The posts that get the most pushback are the ones that state opinions as a fact. Or They consistently feel the need to dispute every aspect when someone shares a point of view different than their own.

I do agree that we all need to be careful to make sure opinions are stated as such.

It is why I didn’t include comments because there isn’t anything about AKV to criticize. It’s a gorgeous resort.

Now that RIV is open, sales are doing better, and more DIS members get a chance to stay or at least review it, maybe the tone will be better.

I definitely think with all we are learning it is reinforcing the fact that I doubt restrictions will ever go away.

I'll throw my 2 cents in on this off topic too....I agree and, I hope now that RIV is open, the debates can and should be more like the other resorts.

I think a few things really drove the rancor - people stating any and every negative opinion as fact and outright lies about things that could be objectively disproven (i.e. room size). I think what really amped up the back and forth though, was all that negativity was directed at a resort that had not even opened yet. Many of us just could not comprehend how others could have such strong negative opinions about something that they (actually no one, until 30 days ago) had ever seen in person. Now that it's open, and as more actually see it, whether in person or with online reviews, more informed discussions can be had.

Now back to your regularly scheduled post...

Last edited:

It’s one thing to point out pros and cons, but really in the end it’s what’s important to the purchaser, not us. Our opinions should be looked upon as information a perspective buyer would want to consider before purchasing, not whether it is a right or wrong decision to purchase at all.

I don’t like the restrictions but they may not have put me off if the resort had blown me away as guides were saying pre opening we could expect the new Grand Floridian. It certainly is not that, so the restrictions are only 50% of the reason I would not buy, which were malleable for the right resort. Reflections looks more like it.

Totally agree with this, I don't like the shape of the 1 bedrooms look like long corridors,

I highly suspected that the Riviera resale restrictions would make buyers more hesitant to buy there. I know that when I bought (many years ago) I considered ability to resell if I ever had the financial need. Is The Riviera that superior to the other resorts, that someone would rather be restricted to only staying there, than restricted to not staying there (which will be the choice of those buying resale some years from now, when they choose which resort to buy resale).

Is it true at dvc Rivera you can't wear blue socks on a month with R. That might be next. I don't know what to think. Why resale restrictions on something you own ? Why ROFR ?

I highly suspected that the Riviera resale restrictions would make buyers more hesitant to buy there. I know that when I bought (many years ago) I considered ability to resell if I ever had the financial need. Is The Riviera that superior to the other resorts, that someone would rather be restricted to only staying there, than restricted to not staying there (which will be the choice of those buying resale some years from now, when they choose which resort to buy resale).

I think it is just a different way of looking at it and not everyone goes in with expecting to get Something back when selling.

I didn’t when I first purchased BLT back in 2009. Granted, emergencies happen, and someone forced to sell within a year or two, IMO, could lose 30% or more when selling,

I do think that the buying pool will be smaller, but there are going to be people who will buy a RIV contract to stay just there because they can also buy other resale contracts for the rest of the resorts it doesn't have to be an either or situation.

I think it is just a different way of looking at it and not everyone goes in with expecting to get Something back when selling.

I didn’t when I first purchased BLT back in 2009. Granted, emergencies happen, and someone forced to sell within a year or two, IMO, could lose 30% or more when selling,

I do think that the buying pool will be smaller, but there are going to be people who will buy a RIV contract to stay just there because they can also buy other resale contracts for the rest of the resorts it doesn't have to be an either or situation.
Which is totally getting away from the original DVC model. I fail to see the reason to change it as it has obviously been a great selling model. Now, I think not so much.

I too have been vocal about how the restriction go against the original DVC model. Unfortunately, my guess is they are here to stay. As time goes on and more new owners buy in on the current model, it becomes the norm for they know of no other way. This is a long term strategy, as when 2042 comes and several of the L14 resorts are lost, the restrictions become a bigger and bigger selling point to buy direct. Which is the goal they are aiming for. Not to mention the remaining L14 resorts will have their end date just around the corner making the resale value of those resorts less desirable.

I too have been vocal about how the restriction go against the original DVC model. Unfortunately, my guess is they are here to stay. As time goes on and more new owners buy in on the current model, it becomes the norm for they know of no other way. This is a long term strategy, as when 2042 comes and several of the L14 resorts are lost, the restrictions become a bigger and bigger selling point to buy direct. Which is the goal they are aiming for. Not to mention the remaining L14 resorts will have their end date just around the corner making the resale value of those resorts less desirable.
And a method to eventually bring down the value and desirability of resale contracts over time.

I"m not sure I agree that everyone should just settle into the new reality of high points per night and resale restrictions because they won't be going away. Keep in mind the economy is extremely strong right now and macro-economic forces are much stronger than anything DVD can do. Another 2008 type recession and sales would be very strongly affected. In such conditions, the current model of high cost and restrictions just wouldn't be tenable and would almost certainly change.

I"m not sure I agree that everyone should just settle into the new reality of high points per night and resale restrictions because they won't be going away. Keep in mind the economy is extremely strong right now and macro-economic forces are much stronger than anything DVD can do. Another 2008 type recession and sales would be very strongly affected. In such conditions, the current model of high cost and restrictions just wouldn't be tenable and would almost certainly change.
Maybe, but the only thing they changed during the 2008 recession was the amount & availability of purchase incentives. They did not alter the list price, just increased the incentives if sales weren't meeting expectations. (The first of the restrictions on the use of resale points didn't begin until 3/12/2011, so no parallel there).

Based on past history, I don't think they will remove any of the restrictions associated with resale points. We can agree to disagree, I'm sure nether of us wants a recession to actually happen in order to see which opinion is correct. .

I don't think we will see true impact of the resale restrictions for DRR and DVC in general for a few more years. For those who have to sell in the future what resale prices are vs what DVC 1.0 properties are able to get. Just hard to say right now how it will affect the reputation of DVC long term.

My two cents, as someone who is in the midst of buying a resale contract - Disney may be forced to change some of the policies. The biggest issue is that they are barring resale purchasers from staying at the new resorts but allowing owners of the new resorts to stay at the home resorts of resale purchasers. Inherent in a timeshare network is reciprocity. I get to stay at your resort and you get to stay at mine. If Disney suddenly decided to let Marriott timeshare owners stay at DVC resorts without DVC owners being allowed to stay at Marriott timeshares, that would be patently wrong and this situation isn't much different. In many ways, these new restrictions make Riviera and its future siblings a different resort.

Whether you are a direct purchaser or a resale purchaser, your maintenance fees are paying for the upkeep of your resort. By allowing new resort owners to stay at that resort without reciprocity, resale owners' property rights are being infringed. It would make a good class action suit (I say that as an attorney of 20 years although my current position bars me from litigation).

If the day comes when Disney has to address this argument, they aren't going to set up a separate system, they will likely relax all of the resale restrictions (not the perks of course).

My two cents, as someone who is in the midst of buying a resale contract - Disney may be forced to change some of the policies. The biggest issue is that they are barring resale purchasers from staying at the new resorts but allowing owners of the new resorts to stay at the home resorts of resale purchasers. Inherent in a timeshare network is reciprocity. I get to stay at your resort and you get to stay at mine. If Disney suddenly decided to let Marriott timeshare owners stay at DVC resorts without DVC owners being allowed to stay at Marriott timeshares, that would be patently wrong and this situation isn't much different. In many ways, these new restrictions make Riviera and its future siblings a different resort.

Whether you are a direct purchaser or a resale purchaser, your maintenance fees are paying for the upkeep of your resort. By allowing new resort owners to stay at that resort without reciprocity, resale owners' property rights are being infringed. It would make a good class action suit (I say that as an attorney of 20 years although my current position bars me from litigation).

If the day comes when Disney has to address this argument, they aren't going to set up a separate system, they will likely relax all of the resale restrictions (not the perks of course).
There is reciprocity though. Direct buyers, and those grandfathered, may stay at Riviera just like direct buyers of Riviera can trade into other resorts. Newer resale buyer can't trade into Riviera however resale buyers at Riviera also can not trade out to other resorts. There are limitations going both ways.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!