Layoff part 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisOrBust

<font color=CC66CC>Tag Fairy does tags only, the A
So since posters could not behave in the orginal thread I would like to start a layoff thread again. I have 2 adult daughters working Disney Corporate and they haven't heard a peep. The limbo is really distressing and effecting everyday life decisions like wether to resign their lease and even planning a wedding. They have friends who work from the front lines to Team Disney and no one has any real info, so does anyone have real info?

So since posters could not behave in the orginal thread I would like to start a layoff thread again. I have 2 adult daughters working Disney Corporate and they haven't heard a peep. The limbo is really distressing and effecting everyday life decisions like wether to resign their lease and even planning a wedding. They have friends who work from the front lines to Team Disney and no one has any real info, so does anyone have real info?

Going by Universal, youd have to imagine they are coming, the question is where. Disney lived off PT and CP help for a long while, so Id imagine front line full time is safe on essential operations...aka rides. You will likely see a lot of behind the scenes trimming, especially in the areas of party planning, special events and the such.

This is a difficult time anywhere to make financial decisions as this disease is likely going to be impacting us for at least another year. Mom and pop stores are closing up left and right.

Million dollar execs need to donate their salaries to keep CMs. Anybody that gets $65 million from one company in one year owes it to the people that work on the front lines. He should work to do what ever to save their jobs and the company and be willing to do it for nothing until this is over.

when a thread gets locked. If you start the thread up again you can get 30 points.

I'm not an employee, but I have a close friend who worked Corporate in Burbank, who was furloughed in April like many others. At first she looked at this as a temporary break, but she is still furloughed, while a few of her colleagues were called back. I think she has realized this may turn into a layoff and is looking for other work. I should add she is in a business role where the activity has virtually halted due to COVID-19.

And while I am here: I am not a Disney die-hard, but my friend is. We have known each other since we were kids. Disney was her dream job. She earned below market for years, but was so happy in her role, and volunteered at events in her spare time. To see her twist in the wind like so many others has really tarnished Disney's image with me. I don't know if I will go back there anytime soon, virus or not.

Million dollar execs need to donate their salaries to keep CMs. Anybody that gets $65 million from one company in one year owes it to the people that work on the front lines. He should work to do what ever to save their jobs and the company and be willing to do it for nothing until this is over.

I’m fairly certain Ayn Rand would disagree. If the OP kids haven’t read Atlas Shrugged, I’d suggest it. All of the execs where I work live by it.

I worked for a company once that was constantly going through reorgs. I left because it was impossible to make any serious life choices under those circumstances. The OP kids would be best to find a job that’s essential to minimize the stress. Coming here to find inside gossip probably won’t relieve their stress.

I feel for the OP's. DA and I went through chapter 11 at an airline 8 years ago. Every gray hair on mine and DW's head came from that experience.

I'm not an employee, but I have a close friend who worked Corporate in Burbank, who was furloughed in April like many others. At first she looked at this as a temporary break, but she is still furloughed, while a few of her colleagues were called back. I think she has realized this may turn into a layoff and is looking for other work. I should add she is in a business role where the activity has virtually halted due to COVID-19.

And while I am here: I am not a Disney die-hard, but my friend is. We have known each other since we were kids. Disney was her dream job. She earned below market for years, but was so happy in her role, and volunteered at events in her spare time. To see her twist in the wind like so many others has really tarnished Disney's image with me. I don't know if I will go back there anytime soon, virus or not.
Well said. Disney should be embarrassed at the wages they pay. Without a strong union they manage to abuse the workers. My don was a Disney intern and found out first hand.

Southwest's CEO wrote to his employees that the airline is "in ICU" but are planning no layoff before 2021. They don't need to hear Disney's whole plan but some idea of a direction would be helpful. Right now it feels like being in the band on the Titanic.

On the Magic boards there is huge thread with "insiders" predicting mass layoffs. All the speculaton could be cooled down if Disney was more transparent.

Southwest's CEO wrote to his employees that the airline is "in ICU" but are planning no layoff before 2021. They don't need to hear Disney's whole plan but some idea of a direction would be helpful. Right now it feels like being in the band on the Titanic.

On the Magic boards there is huge thread with "insiders" predicting mass layoffs. All the speculaton could be cooled down if Disney was more transparent.
The only thing Disney could say that anyone would believe is that they were in fact doing mass layoffs. Any denial would be ignored.

The $15 minimum wage is going to hurt more workers than it will helps. It will make these layoffs worse, and the staff that remains will likely get fewer hours and possibly lose benefits. And the hours they work will be harder and more stressed. I expect moral and customer service to decline. Not a good place to be.

At this point I would recommend that your daughters begin looking for another job if they haven't started already.

The $15 minimum wage is going to hurt more workers than it will helps. It will make these layoffs worse, and the staff that remains will likely get fewer hours and possibly lose benefits. And the hours they work will be harder and more stressed. I expect moral and customer service to decline. Not a good place to be.
Even at $15 a hour you can't live on that. Disney pays sub par wages. Disney can and should pay far more in wages and benefits. Disney uses creative and legal accounting tricks to not pay more.

Too all employees look for better jobs that will pay you liveable wages.

Look what customers pay for the in merchandise and food and yes rooms.

Position yourself to move into a better industry.

Even at $15 a hour you can't live on that. Disney pays sub par wages. Disney can and should pay far more in wages and benefits. Disney uses creative and legal accounting tricks to not pay more.

Too all employees look for better jobs that will pay you liveable wages.

Look what customers pay for the in merchandise and food and yes rooms.

Position yourself to move into a better industry.
Compare Disney wages to every other entry level wages in central Florida, you'll see Disney pays more and has better benefits than most everyone else

Unfortunately Central Florida is flooded with service level jobs that in general pays low wages. Disney is no exception

Unfortunately Central Florida is flooded with service level jobs that in general pays low wages. Disney is no exception

Thats a false narrative though as many of these service level jobs generate a lot more revenue than other industries.

If you work at a mcdonalds that brings in a million dollars in business, your wage should be higher than a mcdonalds that brings in 500k. You are generating more money for the company, you should be compensated accordingly.

No, you get paid what the market allows, and if you don't like it, find another market. Handing out ice cream bars isn't a $15 a hour job, I don't care what Disney makes off them. Nobody is owed a share of revenue. Some give a share of profit, but that's a lot different that revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter