Least expensive time to cruise?

readytogotodisney

DIS Veteran
We haven't even boarded our first Disney cruise, but I'm already thinking of the next!
We're really flexible on when we can go on vacations, so I'm wondering when DCL are the least expensive?

I know if you go in the winter, the water temperature might not be the best, and if you go during hurricane season there is always the threat of a storm. But just financially speaking, generally what time of the year is the cheapest?

We haven't even boarded our first Disney cruise, but I'm already thinking of the next!
We're really flexible on when we can go on vacations, so I'm wondering when DCL are the least expensive?

I know if you go in the winter, the water temperature might not be the best, and if you go during hurricane season there is always the threat of a storm. But just financially speaking, generally what time of the year is the cheapest?

Basically the month of September. Kids back in school, hurricane season, etc.

DWF

We have found Jan.-early Feb. and Sept.-early Nov. to have the best pricing. The Dream has some restricted last minute good low fares right now for end of Jan-early Feb.

Cheapest per day, or for total trip? The EBTA in May is super cheap for the # of days, but unless you have airline miles the discount is heavily negated by the airfare. Total 2A/2C is $3737 for 11B. That's only $67 pp/night.

The EBPC (Dec 9th - we'll be on it!) had an almost as cheap $4527 IGT for 2A, 2C for 14 nights. $81 pp/night is a pretty good price. Thankfully we had the miles to cover flights.

Alternatively, if airfare is an issue, I'd say the September sailings will be cheapest, especially if you can get a IGT rate.

To add to above: currently you can sail out of Galveston 7 days for $3303 in September, or sail a 3 night on the dream for $1837. That's a whopping $153 pp/night.

In general--September/early October and January/early Feb. are consistently low priced. However, any time a ship is not filling or not anticipated to fill, specials may be offered. We got a super deal in May once. As noted, the trans-Atlantic cruises tend to be low priced, but the airfare can kill you on those.

Right now, Galveston is not filling--lots of deals there. Previously, same problem with the Mexican cruises our of LA. Anything not filling will result in some sort of special--the question will be whether it is a deal that applies to you. Kids free is great if you are a family of 3 or 4, but for a family of 2, it doesn't help. FL res is super IF you qualify. I like the *GT because they apply to all of us who choose to accept the restrictions,

Good to know. We are considering mid May 2014 since it will be about a week after my graduation and the cruise is my celebration.

We have found February to be a bargain. Not too many kids on board and the water temperature is fabulous! Well, speaking from coming from the tundra of the Midwest. I was more than pleased with the 80 degree temperatures.

Thanks everyone!
Our first cruise is coming up May 5th, so by the looks of it we picked a pretty cheap time to go. It's only a 4 night on the Dream just to see how DH and DS do on a cruise (I went on one back in high school - almost 15 years ago! :confused:)

If this one goes well, then I plan on doing a 7 night next - sometime in 2014. Or if we go on a 4 night, I'd love to go in November and add a few days at DW. It's on my Disney bucket list to see the castle all lite up for Christmas AND get to eat my way around WS for F&W.

Plane tickets aren't a factor thanks to my Dad who has frequent flyer miles coming out his ears!

i just booked an 8 night Caribbean out of Galveston 2A 2C..family with veranda 5C for $3400, Jan 18 we sail

Our Nov 3rd cruise was $800 cheaper 6 weeks before the cruise than it was 18 months before!! Seemed at least this fall, the Oct/Nov Fantasy cruises had a hard time filling up.

If you find it cheaper after you have already booked it, is there a way to get the cheaper fare? I'm assuming you would cancel and then rebook, but I believe you would lose the deposit if you were staying concierge. I'm not sure this will be an issue when we plan to go in May, but it is just a thought.

We got an amazing deal for January 2013. They are still out there too.

Most people don't travel in January because of holiday spending/travel. If you go deep enough into the Caribbean, water temp shouldn't be too much of an issue. We're looking at weather/water in the 80's for our stops at Cozumel and GC. We avoided the bahamas itineraries, this go around, because of the potential for cooler weather/water.

The only downside is that the ships aren't selling too well, so I wonder how many other people will be on board!

Well, some things to consider:
Is there a port they leave out of that you wouldn't need airfare for? This can greatly reduce the costs. For example, even though the cruise is slightly more than some of the other 7 day itineraries, the ones leaving out of San Diego down to Mexico work out cheaper for us because we don't have to fly there and back.

Now if you want the best bang for your buck, the Transatlantic usually work out the cheapest per day. If you want a cheap cruise, look at the shorter ones, especially during the school yea. And don't forget to check out travel agents and to buy Disney gift cards at Costco, Sam's club (using a credit card with rewards) or Target with the red card for a 5% to 6% discount, then put them into a Disney Vacation Savings account that has been opened for at least 180 days to get extra gift cards back when you pay using it.

We have had very good luck with last week in August! That if you still want summer. Our kids go back to school around September 8th every year.

2014- family of 5 - 3 night concierge in family cabin, $3135. And that was only because we add my older son last minute. Originally, $2340 for 4. We could pass that price up and got a Cabana

September- October always look good. Still get he warm waters.

January is the cheapest, followed by February and September (excluding holidays)

We have had very good luck with last week in August! That if you still want summer. Our kids go back to school around September 8th every year.

2014- family of 5 - 3 night concierge in family cabin, $3135. And that was only because we add my older son last minute. Originally, $2340 for 4. We could pass that price up and got a Cabana

September- October always look good. Still get he warm waters.

Just be aware that all of those are in peak hurricane season so there is a chance the cruise may be rerouted, shortened or lengthened due to a storm and keeping everyone safe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter