Legoland worth it for 14-year-old?

bleeps

DIS Veteran
Hello!

Although we're delighted that our son is still such a big Lego fan, our sense is that Legoland is really geared toward younger kids. We understand that the displays are really cool -- but is that worth the price of admission for 3 of us?

I'm worried that at age 14 he'd be pretty bored by the rides -- and I understand the lines are long and the ride times are short.

Also curious if it's possible to access the Big Store (or any of the other Lego stores right there) without park entrance -- I think part of the attraction is being able to buy some of the rare/unusual sets.

Thanks for any insights. I'm thinking we'd enjoy a second day at the San Diego Zoo more than taking a day for Legoland at this point.

I would say no. However you don't go for the rides, they aren't that thrilling. I love LL for it's scenery, Miniland is amazing.
My ds is 15 now and we haven't been for 3 years. He did mention going but I didn't want to pay for adult tickets. At least they still consider 12 a kid for tickets.
If you can afford it or manage cheap tickets somehow then it is worth going to just to see it.
The Big Store is exactly that - big and very busy especially at closing time.

Maybe SeaWorld or the Safari park instead of a second day at the zoo. While the zoo is nice I couldn't see spending two days there. We did the Safari park in Aug and really enjoyed it. If you buy the refillable cups they are good at both the zoo & safari, cheap refills, bring them back every time you go.

Have fun whatever you do. I love SD.

We have gone to Legoland several times over the years. My sons are now 10 and 12 and have asked to visit one more time. I was surprised that they didn't feel they had grown out of it yet. Fourteen does seem a little old to me, but if you have a young-at-heart son, there's nothing wrong with that! I love that my boys aren't growing up too fast.

FWIW, my sister and her boyfriend went to Legoland for the day as two adults with no children several years ago and said they never regretted the money they spent because there was so much to look at. They weren't even big Lego fans; they were just curious and like experiencing different things.

I agree that the rides aren't going to be very appealing to a 14 year old. There are probably one or two that he will enjoy. Miniland is amazing to look at though, and my boys spend at least an hour just walking through that. There are other Lego sculptures through the park as well. The Mindstorms presentation when we went a couple years ago was pretty decent and enjoyed by all the kids. I would say the oldest kid there at the time was probably somewhere between the ages of 13 and 15. You have to stop by first thing in the morning and reserve your spot for the Mindstorms, but it is worth it for older kids.

You may also consider getting the day pass that includes admission to the SeaLife aquarium that is connected to the park. We haven't tried it yet, but since the boys are older and won't need the whole day in Legoland I think we will do that this time. I have read that the aquarium experience takes about one to two hours depending on your interests.

As for the Big Shop, you can only visit it with park admission. It's a fine Lego store, but I agree with a PP who commented that it gets swamped at the end of the day. Honestly, I don't find the Big Shop any more impressive than the great Lego shop in Downtown Disney in Anaheim. I wouldn't choose to visit Legoland just to go shopping.

Since you've never been before and your son is still a big Lego fanatic, I would say visiting once for a day could be worth it as an experience for your family as long as it's not a budget-breaker.

You have a couple of lesser-known options:

(1) You can go to customer service and get a 1-hour shopping pass. They ask for your CC, then give you a 'ticket' that you have to return to customer service when you're done shopping.

(2) On Legoland's iphone app they refer to a Twilight rate - good for the last 2 hours of the day - at 50% off full price rate. (Not good for Brick-or-Treat days)

2 hours isn't enough to appreciate Legoland - Miniland will take at least an hour - more if you're a Star Wars fan.

On the *right* days, you can practically walk on to rides for the last couple hours.

Whoever recommended MindStorms is right - when we're there at opening we always grab a spot. It's using the Lego robot programming interface to program a lunar lander to pick up rocks and rescue astronauts. It takes 45 minutes, but requires signup and always fills (with a waitlist) before lunch.

There are a lot of things to look at - but as for rides a teen's only going to be interested in Project X and Dragon rollercoasters and the Knight's Tournament ride. Maybe Lost Kingdom Adventure. Some of the things are obvious - the buffalo in the bushes outside MindStorms - but some are harder to spot. They also have converted the Clubhouse to demo Lego Universe, if you want to sit and play on-line games while at a theme park...

Thanks so much -- a lot more to think about!! Luckily we have a few months before our trip to get a handle on all these options; I REALLY appreciate all the great information!!

I didn't know about the shopping pass or the 2 hour deal. These are great to know.

I agree about doing Mindstorms, My ds has done it a few times. The Dragon ride is one of my favorites mostly because of everything to see inside the ride.
Don't forget about the apples, they're the best snack in the park.

You can often find coupons good for $10 off.

I'm 16 and I haven't been since I was 9. He would like Miniland, the Pirate Shores, Knight's Tournament, the Dragon Coaster, Dune Raiders, Lost Kingdom Adventure, AquaZone Wave Racer, Bionicle Blaster and the Lego Technic Coaster.

My DD and I were members from when she was 2 until she was 7 since we are local and could go all of the time. They offered many perks and free offers for friends to members, so I took many guests over the years.

That said, the times I took girls over the age of 8 or 9, all seemed pretty bored and jaded, the boys not so much. My last trip to Legoland was with my 14 year old nephew who really wanted to go, and he thought it was the best place IN THE WORLD!!!!

So, you never know. He is not one for thrill rides, so the fact that the Technic rollar coaster was as wild as it got, took him off the hook.

Have fun whatever you decide.

I miss Legoland.

A new LEGO STORE just opened in Fashion Valley in San Diego. Not very exciting inside, but seemed to have a pretty extensive selection when I was there this weekend.

My DS was 12 a month away from 13 when we went to Legoland last year. He was kinda bored some of the time, but the highlights for him were the Mind robot computer class they ran, seeing the star wars stuff, having a worker in the fix up workshop invite him in to see how what he was working on fixing and new things he was building, some of the miniland details (marching new orleans funeral band, indy cars you could control, all the different building he recognized, the water shooting ride that he could get his sister wet that was riding with him, the roller coater, the indy ride, the pedal bikes on an elevated track, and what both my kids the DS 12 and DD 9 spent at least an hour in, was the SeaLife aquarium. Both my kids are marine fans, so the workers there were very kind and answered the many questions my kids asked, and really spent a long time with them discussing the fish and marine life there.

In one room of the acquarium, I laid down on the seats in the room where the fish are above you and on alls sides of you. It was so peaceful.

We spent 2 days there, including the water park. Both my kids thought the water park was fun for about 2-3 hours. They thought there was not enough slides and too small.

If your DS is into Legos, then it is a place to see. The park is hilly, so it does take some time to get all over the park.

I thought the food was kinda expensive, but the portions are large. My DS and I split the pasta dish.

We went when our boys were 8 & 10 & my daughter was 13 and she just sat around and watched them having fun all day. It was boring for her. The little villages were kinda cool but I wouldn't pay to just go look at them again and as far as shopping for the legos I don't think what they are selling is much of a big deal. I saw many sets we could buy online or on sale in the store.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter