Let Down by Gold Crest

steve_woodward

Earning My Ears
We booked a coach tour to Disneyland Paris ages ago with Gold Crest. We were due to go on the 14th Aug for 3 days / 2 nights from the Derby area. On Saturday we got the dreaded "not enough interest" letter. They did offer us an alternative on the 4th from Leeds and a whopping £10 discount each!

So obviously I need to sort out a replacement pronto or I'm in big trouble.

I've looked at train times and prices and I can travel off peak and get the 3 of us there for about £200 its just the Disney Hotel that is expensive! The Disney site lists the Santa Fe @ £579 for 3 nights and Cheyenne £633.

So is there any way to reduce the costs of the hotel? If I can reduce that a little I can just about stretch my budget but I would get an extra day and get to go on the train and not by coach.

Also if anyone has any other ideas to help us get there on a budget than let me know.

Thanks

ps This is our first Disneyland Paris trip but we have been to WDW loads of times!

I wasn't sure from your post whether you are going to try and go at the same time as your original booking or thereabouts. If you could get a 4 for 3 or 3 for 2 offer that would be one way of saving money. Also try Kyriad and see what price it comes out at-other than that I'm stumped, sorry!

you could also try the comfort inn or Premiere Classe Lodge in Marne la Vallee.

Not the Ritz, but alot cheaper than Disney

I'd also go for a cheaper hotel. The Disney Hotels are lovely (we've stayed at New York, Newport Bay & S.L.) but on our last trip we stayed at Holiday Inn to cut costs & next time we're staying at the Explorers as there are 6 of us going. I don't actually see us staying at Disney Hotels again as although they're wonderful, we spend hardly anytime in them and so it's a bit of a waste, especially if you're on a budget. We were really impressed with the Holiday Inn & booked it direct on their website. We stayed in February & I thimk we paid about £50.00 per room per night (no breakfast). Good Luck

We are planning on going at the same time as we already have our hols booked from work and we really do want to stay in a Disney Hotel especially as its our first time there.

Our budget isn't ultra tight I was just hoping that there was a way to do it cheaper and still stay in a Disney Hotel.

Steve, I can't think of any way to do it cheaper during high season, apart from checking again on DLP website to see if any offers on. If you are not on a tight budget I would definitely recommend staying in a Disney hotel.

Steve

I'm so sorry to hear about your problem, afraid that I haven't got any ideas for you.
I don't have an opinion on the hotels either, other than to say it is good to feel a part of the magic. I have only stayed in Disney hotels at DLP but have stayed on and off site in WDW, I never understood what all the fuss was about, but once I had stayed on-site I was hooked. A disney hotel is great if you can run to it in terms of £'s not penny's but do what you are most comfortable with , you'll enjoy whatever

Dear Steve,

We found the cheapest way was to drive and take the car, the Sea Cat only took I think about 40 mins [might have been an hour] and I suppose it depends on the time of year - but we paid absolutely nothing for our channel crossing [booked through travelcare].

PS Have you seen the 25% internet discount on the Disneyland Paris website for this summer - that might help cut costs a bit!!! :sunny:

I'm sorry to hear of your problems. I had a similar thing happen with Leger last year - along with other associated problems and I was rather hoping GoldCrest would be a better alternative. Shame. Still, at least they offered you something by way of compensation even if it was only £10 each. I just got a lot of abuse from a member of Leger staff and they told my travel agent I had made 'numerous' complaints which wasn't true at all!

I've been looking for other coach companies doing local pick ups and GoldCrest was the only one I've been able to find

Sorry to hear of your holiday woes :(

Have you tried telephoning the Disney Travel Service (I think that is what they are called - who publish the nice brochure?) We have found them to be really helpful checking out various options, double checking and offering advice as to which hotels may suit best etc.

It might be worth a phone call, they have worked out cheaper than all the travel agents the few times we have used them.

Good luck, I hope you get something sorted.
Kit

Steve - no advice but I wanted to say I hope you get something sorted out :)

Thanks everyone.

We definately do want to stop in a Disney Hotel and I really reallydon't want to drive!

Our plans are starting to come together now but I just need a bit more info.

1. The Eurostar prices are cheaper if you change a Lille. Is this a problem or is it a doddle? We couldn't get to London for the morning direct train anyway.

2. Could we stop our first night at the Holiday inn as we arrive about teatime and then move to a Disney hotel in the morning as this would get the best for the package.

3. Assuming we could do this can we easily get from the station to the Holiday Inn?

Steve, We always take an extra night at Holiday Inn at beginning of holiday to maximise time in park. It costs us 65 euro per night for the room. We usually arrive about tea time and get the DIsney shuttle over to the Disney village for shopping and dinner, drinks etc...In the morning we just get up and get on the Disney shuttle again over to whichever Disney hotel (in our case it has been the HNY the last few times but next time it will be DLH itself). Sometimes our room is ready and sometimes not. If not we leave our suitcases with reception and head off to parks for day. Later that night when we return, we get our room key and have our suitcases delivered to room and then unpack. It is no problem and is a very economical way of adding more time onto holiday. We are going back for CHristmas season in Dec and have decided to take 2 extra nights at beginning at Holiday Inn so we can do a bit of sightseeing in Paris. Can't comment on getting from station to HI as we always fly and take VEA bus which stops at all hotels, but I am sure there of plenty of people on the boards who do know.

I changed at Lille and found it fine - I would prefer to get the direct train though personally. If it's saving you say £10 I would go direct but if it's more then up to you.

We got off one train, had to wait about for 45 mins for the next, got on that and then shortly arrived at DLP. No problem! Make sure you get on the right train though, one poor family didn't.

If you aren't going to get to Waterloo in time for the direct train anyway I guess it's a moot point!

Update - Good News

Late yesterday afternoon I had a call from Gold Crest asking if I had decided what I was going to do yet. I told them that I was still trying to make alternative arrangements. The lady then offered me a 4th Aug pickup from Derby with an upgrade from Cheyenne to Newport Bay Club!

So we spent yesterday frantically rearranging our holidays and this morning I phoned them up to accept. I checked on the Disney web site and 2 nights at the Newport Bay Club costs more than we paid for the entire trip!

So thanks everyone for your help and advice and I'll let you know how it all goes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter