Let Your Fantasies & Dreams SET SAIL! March 2019 Western Caribbean TR *COMPLETE 9/6

Great updates! I'm not a beach person either but your day at the resort really looked fun. I had an uneasy feeling when I saw the kids covered in sand - and then reading about the trickle shower! Glad it worked out OK in the end. Wonder what would have happened if you missed the bus?? I guess a taxi would always be an option. Again, love the character pictures - especially Chip and Dale!

Thinking of you and your family and hoping that you are safe and dry. Sending prayers and pixie dust to all of those effected by Barrry.

So many great character pictures!

Dinner sounds like it was so fun! That's so cool that your drawings end up on screen!

Meeting the characters was probably one of the most fun things we did on board! It was so easy compared to the lines in the parks.

Animator's was our favorite Main Dining Room, for sure. We really enjoyed the animation show. The kids couldn't stop laughing when picking their drawings out!

Joining in a little late to the party! I've spent the last few days catching up on some of your trip reports that I missed through the years- I think the last one I read was your Italy ABD trip and your daughter wasn't born yet!

Both of the kids are so cute! I enjoyed seeing the cruise pictures on instagram and I'm enjoying hearing the stories behind them!

Better late than never!! WOW, I guess you had a lot of reading to do! We went to WDW so many times her first year of life!!! lol Well, welcome back.

We all very much enjoyed the cruise, and it's been a popular topic of conversation around our house since we returned home. The kids can't wait to do another cruise, and no one is really even talking about our upcoming WDW trip for early next year. lol

Great updates! I'm not a beach person either but your day at the resort really looked fun. I had an uneasy feeling when I saw the kids covered in sand - and then reading about the trickle shower! Glad it worked out OK in the end. Wonder what would have happened if you missed the bus?? I guess a taxi would always be an option. Again, love the character pictures - especially Chip and Dale!

It was absolutely miserable hiking all over the resort to get that sand off of the kids!!! But at least there was another option besides the trickle shower, thankfully, though it did make for a stressful last half an hour of the day there.

I am not sure what would have happened had we missed the bus, but we gave ourselves plenty of time, so it was ok. I guess taxi would have been it. But I would have been SO stressed, so I'm glad it didn't come to that!!

Thinking of you and your family and hoping that you are safe and dry. Sending prayers and pixie dust to all of those effected by Barrry.

Thank you so much! We were way overprepared, but that's better than being underprepared. Aside from some high winds, we didn't get a ton of rain where we are and we never lost power, so that was good. Thank you for thinking of us!

After a wet, rainy weekend thanks to TS/Hurricane Barry who decided to cruise through extremely slowly...

...it's time to get back to normal

Day 7: Thursday March 7th

It was here. The day I was probably looking forward to least (please don’t throw things at me!!)…Star Wars Day at Sea! I’ve seen the first two trilogies, and it’s just not for me. And I love nerdy things, like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, etc. But I just couldn’t get in to Star Wars. I was a bit worried about this day because looking at the Navigator app, it seemed like it might be kind of hard to find some non-Star Wars activities to take part in.

Our morning started pretty early, though, when DD woke up around 6:45 am and started fussing to come in the bed with us. We put Frozen on TV and took some time to wake up a bit before getting dressed and heading to Cabanas for breakfast around 8 am. The first thing we noticed when we exited our stateroom was that the onboard music had changed to Star Wars music.

I don’t know why we only have a picture of one plate at breakfast, :confused3 but here it is.

DCL19 06-001
by disneymom1024, on Flickr

DH and DS finished up a little earlier than DD and I, so they went down to the Port Adventures desk to pick up a guide for the Porg Scavenger Hunt around the ship. It gave you (very vague) locations to check for somewhere that a Porg had been and gave you a symbol that you matched with letters on your guide. The letters formed the name of a location where you would meet that evening for a special surprise. Spoiler alert: the meeting time was in the middle of our dining time, so we have no idea what the special surprise was! Lol DD and I met them at the Walt Disney Theater afterwards, and DD really enjoyed the Porg cutout.

DCL19 06-002

The reason we were at the WD Theater was to check in DS for the Jedi Training: Trials of the Temple. It was something we had never really considered doing in the WDW parks, but DS expressed interest in doing it on the ship. I think it not being out in the blinding sweltering sun appealed to DH and I, and there not being a large audience appealed to DS. We explained that it probably would only be the people whose kids were participating, versus in the parks where more people may just see it happening and stop to watch.

This was another activity that we were able to sign up for during our online check-in. One of the requirements to keep in mind if you’d like to do it with your child is they need closed shoes with closed toes and a back. We saw some kids in Crocs getting sent back to their room to change shoes.

After checking in, we headed into the theater where DH, DD, and I went to find seats down near the stage and DS stayed behind with the CMs to get his robes and his lightsaber.

Soon enough the kids came out on stage, and it was pretty funny to watch them standing up there and seeing them all sway to the movement of the ship!

The kids were split into two groups on each side of the stage, and both Darth Vader and Kylo Ren came out for them to battle. DS was on the side fighting Darth Vader.

Soon it was DS’s turn to put his newfound lightsaber skills to the test against Darth Vader!

DS really enjoyed it! I’m glad we convinced him to give it a try, because he was a bit nervous about the idea.

After that, we decided to head over to D Lounge for a drawing class but we made a detour to Vista Café to get snacks for the kids.

DCL19 06-018

When we made it to D Lounge, we saw that our class was being hosted by our buddy Raf! He was drawing along with us, but he was not the main animator. He was playing videos of an animator showing us how to draw a porg.

After the class (and by the way, a porg is NOT easy to draw!!), we were about ready to head to our next ticketed event, meeting the droids. As we crossed the ship towards Animator’s Palate where we’d be meeting C-3PO and R2D2, there were other characters milling around. I don’t know who any of them are, so…sorry about that :rotfl:.

After meeting the droids, we saw there were BB-8 races happening in the atrium, so we went that way and tried watching from the balcony above.

DCL19 06-032

But we didn’t end up watching for long, because without knowing anyone who was participating, it wasn’t very exciting. There were some jawas out trading.

DCL19 06-033

DD found this interactive ship steering wheel that would make the pirate ship move around on the painting when you spin it, and she really loved that.

DCL19 06-034

DCL19 06-035

DCL19 06-037 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
This is where the porg scavenger hunt ended!

There wasn’t anything happening that we wanted to go do, so we went to the gift shop and picked up a couple of things. DS insisted that his one souvenir he wanted to spend his money on was a sailor Pluto plush, so he got that, and DH and I agonized over the Christmas ornaments before deciding on one of the ship inside of a bottle. I’m going to have to get pics of all our souvenirs together for the wrap-up post...

UP NEXT: Royal Court Lunch

Sounds like a good start to Star Wars day, especially considering you were nervous about it! I'm glad DS enjoyed the jedi training and I love the pics with the droids! Hopefully the rest of the day continued to be good!

Star Wars day looks so fun! Oh, the Jedi training. I have to tell this story. In May 2017 we were at Disneyland and we attempted to get in on the Jedi training only to have incredulous parents tell us that you gotta rope drop that sucker, not show up 5 min before and wonder why they won't let you in. Lol. You know those moments when you feel like the worst parent ever because your kids are trying to hold in their disappointment and tears, so that was me. So in Nov 2017 we went to WDW and indeed I made plans to race to the Jedi training area as soon as HS opened. I have never been more stressed about missing something in my life, I couldn't even sleep the night before. We managed to get in with a super long line behind us (phew) but then we were almost derailed when the kids were in line and the kid next to DS1 turned around and threw up his entire breakfast on the ground - luckily missing DS1 who jumped out of the way just in time. Gaaahhhh... but all worth it to see them enjoy themselves as much as it appears your DS did :)

Looks like a good day so far! I imagine Disney tries to make it fun for even non-Star Wars fans (I've never gotten into it either). Good photo op with the droids. Glad your DS enjoyed the Jedi training - it does seem much less intimidating (and cooler) than it would be in the parks. Hope the rest of your SW day was good!

Sounds like a good start to Star Wars day, especially considering you were nervous about it! I'm glad DS enjoyed the jedi training and I love the pics with the droids! Hopefully the rest of the day continued to be good!

It definitely wasn't terrible, but for a non-Star Wars fan, it was the bottom of my rank of days on the cruise. lol

But it was really cool that DS got the chance to do the Jedi Training without having to stress about getting to DHS early in the morning and hurrying over to get signed up! He enjoyed it a lot.

Star Wars day looks so fun! Oh, the Jedi training. I have to tell this story. In May 2017 we were at Disneyland and we attempted to get in on the Jedi training only to have incredulous parents tell us that you gotta rope drop that sucker, not show up 5 min before and wonder why they won't let you in. Lol. You know those moments when you feel like the worst parent ever because your kids are trying to hold in their disappointment and tears, so that was me. So in Nov 2017 we went to WDW and indeed I made plans to race to the Jedi training area as soon as HS opened. I have never been more stressed about missing something in my life, I couldn't even sleep the night before. We managed to get in with a super long line behind us (phew) but then we were almost derailed when the kids were in line and the kid next to DS1 turned around and threw up his entire breakfast on the ground - luckily missing DS1 who jumped out of the way just in time. Gaaahhhh... but all worth it to see them enjoy themselves as much as it appears your DS did :)

Oh my gosh!!! What a crazy experience!!! lol I'm very glad we were able to just easily sign up online before the cruise instead of having to go through all that stress of signing up in the parks.

Looks like a good day so far! I imagine Disney tries to make it fun for even non-Star Wars fans (I've never gotten into it either). Good photo op with the droids. Glad your DS enjoyed the Jedi training - it does seem much less intimidating (and cooler) than it would be in the parks. Hope the rest of your SW day was good!

It was perfect for him, because he didn't feel so nervous doing in in the theater when I explained that the only people who would be in there was all the parents of the other kids doing it, instead of larger crowds in the parks. I signed him up not even sure if he'd want to do it or not, but it ended up being a good experience for him!

Day 7 Continued: Thursday March 7th

It was getting to be time for lunch, and we were ready to try something different than Cabanas or the pool grill options, so we decided to head to Royal Court for a sit down lunch.

DCL19 06-038

DD really enjoyed that our table number was Cinderella themed.

Untitled

DCL19 06-042

DS & I both went with burgers. DH had the bucatini carbonara, and DD had chicken tenders.

We got a couple slices of red velvet cake to share, and DD got some ice cream for dessert.

After stuffing ourselves at lunch, we brought the kids to the Oceaneer Club to play for a bit so DH and I could head to O’Gill’s for the adults-only movie quotes trivia. It was pretty crowded when we got there because it’s a small space and there was an origami class ending, but most people from that stayed for the trivia. We were standing awkwardly by a post trying to figure out how we were going to write any answers down when another couple invited us to share a table with them. We worked together on our answers, and unfortunately, none of us were very good at it! :rotfl:We had to name both the movie and the actor who said the line, and even putting our 4 heads together we didn’t come up with too many correct answers, but they were very cool and fun to hang out with and at least give it a try!

We went by the re-booking desk and got in the queue to book our placeholder after trivia, but it was taking longer than we expected, and I really wanted to get both kids a nap that afternoon since there were fireworks again and they were even later than pirate night. We kept our names in the queue but DH came to help me get the kids from the club and get them back to the stateroom and settled. We ended up missing our booked meet with Chewbacca because the only time we could get was late afternoon and we wanted to make sure both kids had plenty of time to sleep.

DCL19 06-046

We found our Star Wars Day at Sea bed runner had been left out.

DCL19 06-045

Once the kids were settled in our bed for a nap, DH went back to the desk to wait to book our placeholder. After successfully doing that, he went to another drawing class where he learned to draw a Stormtrooper.

IMG_1636

I think he must have passed this on the pool deck and taken a photo because I don’t remember seeing this myself.

IMG_1638

The kids slept great until 5:15 pm when we had to get them up and ready for dinner. We were dining at Animator’s Palate again.

DCL19 06-047

Tonight there was a special Star Wars menu (which was probably the only Star Wars themed thing I really enjoyed all day!! :laughing:), which I’m guessing is why we didn’t have a Pirates menu on our pirate night.

DCL19 06-048

DD was excited about her menu!

DCL19 06-049

DH decided not to get an appetizer that night, and I was a little hesitant because nothing sounded great to me, but I decided to give the soufflé a try.

DCL19 06-050
Padme Amidala Soufflé double baked Cheddar Cheese Soufflé with an Apple Compote

It was pretty good, but I didn’t finish the whole thing.

Our main courses was another of my favorite meals of the whole cruise! I got a chicken dish while DH went with both the steak and the swordfish to make his own surf & turf.

DCL19 06-051
Qui-Gon’s Crisp Chicken with Force crushed Potatoes, buttered Green Beans, Biscuit and smoked Bacon Sauce

DCL19 06-052
Grilled Bounty Hunter Fish Fillet with seared Pineapple and Black Pepper Salsa, Roasted Chili Sweet Potatoes, and preserved Lemon

DCL19 06-053
Lord Vader’s Nerf Steak grilled, marinated Beef Rib-Eye Steak, with Roasted Fingerling Potatoes, Collard Greens, and Sweet Baby Carrots served with dark Red Wine Truffle Jus on the side

Even though we had red velvet cake for lunch, it was on the dessert menu again for dinner, and I never turn down red velvet.

DCL19 06-055
Calrissian Velvet Cake layers of Red Velvet Cake and White Chocolate Ganache served with Zoochberry Sauce

DH kept up his trend of two desserts. Why not?

DCL19 06-056
Cloud City Macarons Raspberry and Lemon Macarons, served with Raspberry and Vanilla Sauce

DCL19 06-057
Han Solo’s Frozen Carbonite Sundae Vanilla and Dulce de Leche Ice Cream with Caramel Popcorn and Whipped Cream

The kids were getting restless at the table after their dessert, so I decided to bring them to the kids club. There was an interesting experience on the elevators. There were some young teens doing a scavenger hunt or something that got onto the full elevator with us, and they got off the same deck we were to go to the club. They took off out of the elevator and we were close behind them when one of the men in the elevator stepped out and started SCREAMING at the teens! Apparently the kids had pushed all of the buttons on the elevator to make it stop at every deck, and the man yelled “I SAW WHAT YOU DID, LITTLE BOY!! IT WAS EXTREMELY RUDE!!” I was so taken aback, I didn’t know what to do so I hurried off with my kids to the club!!

Once I got back to the restaurant, DH and I finished our desserts and then decided to go see the nighttime show. This night it was a musician & comedian named John Charles. I was expecting it to be a little lame, but it was actually very fun! He spent most of the shows taking requests and it was pretty impressive the things he could play on his guitar, everything from Metallica to the Beatles to the Black Eyed Peas.

DCL19 06-058

At the end he sang an “original” just for the cruise ship that went to the tune of He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands that went “We’ve got the cleanest hands in the world” that was pretty funny. He ended the show with a fun medley of something for the “old people” (the Flintstones theme song), something for the kids (Spongebob Squarepants theme song), and something for everyone (Mickey Mouse Club theme song). It was a great show!

Since the next day was Castaway Cay and the Captain Marvel movie in the evening, plus we wanted to see the nighttime show, we decided we’d better get a head start on packing so we wouldn’t have to do it all the next night. We got back to the room, and oh Hey there’s the Pluto DS bought!

DCL19 06-059

We did some packing, then went to get the kids from the kids club so we could all shower before the fireworks show. Since it was so late at night, I wanted to be sure we could go right to bed after it was over.

UP NEXT: Fireworks!

I love reading about your cruise! So glad it looks like you all had a great time.

What a weird elevator experience! Those kids were definitely rude but not sure what a random stranger thought he'd accomplish by yelling at them.

What a great trip report! I will be curious to hear your "final thoughts" on Disney cruising versus Disney theme parks. Thanks for taking the time to share!

Hmm, I am on the fence about the screaming man. One the one hand, we all know it is not polite to raise voices. On the other hand, depending on how far away they were at that point, yelling may have been the only way for them to hear, and I do agree that something should have been said to them because what they did was very rude--a toddler pushing buttons before their parents can grab them is one thing as they are too young to understand; a teenager should know better that it is impolite to inconvenience someone else like that.

There is another post in the main forum about whether it is okay to leave kids alone in a stateroom on the cruise and at what age. This seems like a good reminder that while children and teens may be responsible "in real life" the excitement of the cruise setting can bring out all kids of bad behavior.

The Star Wars day at sea looks good. Great getting to meet the droids. Paxton seemed to know what he is doing with his lightsabre. Brings back memories of Jedi Training Academy except you were spared the baking heat.

What a shame the man in the lift got all aerated at the teens. I could see why the teens would want to do that. From his reaction I suspect it may not have been the first occasion for him with those pesky kids!

Delilah and Paxton seem to be really enjoying the different activities. Looking forward to hearing about the fireworks and Castaway Cay!

I love reading about your cruise! So glad it looks like you all had a great time.

What a weird elevator experience! Those kids were definitely rude but not sure what a random stranger thought he'd accomplish by yelling at them.

Thank you so much!

I agree, I would have been annoyed myself, but I sure wouldn't have screamed at a bunch of kids I didn't know the way he did. It was a bit scary the way he screamed!

What a great trip report! I will be curious to hear your "final thoughts" on Disney cruising versus Disney theme parks. Thanks for taking the time to share!

Thanks so much! I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Sounds like a good sit down lunch and a good dinner too!

Omg the screaming man on the elevator, how bizarre!

It was nice having a table service lunch for a change. I think we may try to do that more often on our next cruise, as we tired of the buffet options pretty early on.

Yes, it was so strange!! I can't imagine screaming like that at kids that aren't mine.

Hmm, I am on the fence about the screaming man. One the one hand, we all know it is not polite to raise voices. On the other hand, depending on how far away they were at that point, yelling may have been the only way for them to hear, and I do agree that something should have been said to them because what they did was very rude--a toddler pushing buttons before their parents can grab them is one thing as they are too young to understand; a teenager should know better that it is impolite to inconvenience someone else like that.

There is another post in the main forum about whether it is okay to leave kids alone in a stateroom on the cruise and at what age. This seems like a good reminder that while children and teens may be responsible "in real life" the excitement of the cruise setting can bring out all kids of bad behavior.

It's hard to convey in writing, but it was more of an intense scream than just a raised voice to make sure he was heard. It was enough that it made me actually jump and turn back to see what was happening because it startled me so much. I do agree with you that it was really rude of the kids, but I suppose for me I wouldn't feel comfortable screaming at someone else's kids in such a way. It did serve its purpose though because the kids absolutely apologized. lol It just really caught me off guard.

The Star Wars day at sea looks good. Great getting to meet the droids. Paxton seemed to know what he is doing with his lightsabre. Brings back memories of Jedi Training Academy except you were spared the baking heat.

What a shame the man in the lift got all aerated at the teens. I could see why the teens would want to do that. From his reaction I suspect it may not have been the first occasion for him with those pesky kids!

Delilah and Paxton seem to be really enjoying the different activities. Looking forward to hearing about the fireworks and Castaway Cay!

YES it was so nice for all of us to get to enjoy Jedi Training without the heat!! That was the best part of doing it on the cruise! lol Both of the kids (and DH for that matter) enjoyed getting the chance to meet the droids as well.

That could be it, maybe the elevator man had had many run-ins with unruly teens on the ship. For us, we didn't notice it that much but maybe we were just having too much fun to notice! lol

Day 7 Continued: Thursday March 7th

On my last update, we had enjoyed a wonderful Star Wars special menu at dinner, then gone back to the room to do some packing before the late-night fireworks show. We headed up to the pool deck, and we were able to get a good spot on the balcony again to watch the fireworks. There was a show with a lot of the characters before the fireworks started.

Then it was time for the fireworks!

Here’s a video of the fireworks

IMG_1642

The fireworks were pretty cool! Usually there’s a special buffet after the pirate night fireworks, but they didn’t have it that night. Instead there was a Star Wars one after this fireworks show. We didn’t stop for anything because we were exhausted but it was cool to see what they had available.

We got right back up to the room and to bed! We were all very excited to be docking at the famous Castaway Cay in the morning!

UP NEXT: Disney Paradise

Sorry I fell so behind on your report! I just spent the morning reading all the updates I missed and am now having some serious cruise envy. :rotfl: I never think I want to do another Disney cruise until I read about someone else's experience and am reminded how fun they are!
Your Jamaica day sounded wonderful. I love that there was a central resort with a splash pad and lazy river and beach. I think if I ever end up going there on a cruise, I will probably go there, too.

Star Wars day seemed to have a lot for the avid SW fan. I'm like you and don't really care much about the franchise. But you got another night of fireworks from the event, so that's a win! And DS got to experience the Jedi Training Academy without having to deal with it at DHS. Small perks...

DD meeting all the princesses in their ball gowns was too cute. You can really tell that was something she enjoyed. And it was pretty great timing that you got a family picture with Tiana on Fat Tuesday.

That show looks really fun!!! I was on babysitting duty back in the stateroom with our DS2 on our first cruise so I missed the fireworks, but they look AWESOME! It'll for sure be DH's turn to stay with our little one next one so I can see those sparklers with my twins.

The fireworks look cool! And the special themed buffet afterwards is a nice touch!

I kept hearing about the "Pirate night buffet" on all the podcasts I listened to while researching for our cruise, so I was confused as to why there wasn't one on our Pirate night. Same with the Pirate night menu I had heard about. I have to say that while I was not thrilled to have the Star Wars day at sea, the menu ended up being one of my favorites and the fireworks two nights of the cruise was pretty cool.

Sorry I fell so behind on your report! I just spent the morning reading all the updates I missed and am now having some serious cruise envy. :rotfl: I never think I want to do another Disney cruise until I read about someone else's experience and am reminded how fun they are!
Your Jamaica day sounded wonderful. I love that there was a central resort with a splash pad and lazy river and beach. I think if I ever end up going there on a cruise, I will probably go there, too.

Star Wars day seemed to have a lot for the avid SW fan. I'm like you and don't really care much about the franchise. But you got another night of fireworks from the event, so that's a win! And DS got to experience the Jedi Training Academy without having to deal with it at DHS. Small perks...

DD meeting all the princesses in their ball gowns was too cute. You can really tell that was something she enjoyed. And it was pretty great timing that you got a family picture with Tiana on Fat Tuesday.

I totally understand, I really have time to jump on and copy & paste an update most of the times so I have fallen behind reading too! Every time I do an update too, it makes me long to have another cruise soon! We really had so much fun.

The resort in Jamaica was a family favorite! The kids still talk about how much they enjoyed that day, so it was a great find for us since the DCL port adventures didn't appeal to us much there.

I did appreciate those aspects of the Star Wars day, since I really am not interested at all in the Star Wars franchise so most of the character meets and talks/presentations throughout the day were of no interest to me. DS really loved getting to do the Jedi Training, and I loved not having to rush there first thing in the morning to sign up and not having to deal with the heat!

The princess gathering is really great. Even though she interacted with the princesses several times throughout the cruise, it was really nice getting to meet them all at one time and all dressed up. She absolutely loved it!

That show looks really fun!!! I was on babysitting duty back in the stateroom with our DS2 on our first cruise so I missed the fireworks, but they look AWESOME! It'll for sure be DH's turn to stay with our little one next one so I can see those sparklers with my twins.

I have been there done that (being stuck in the room with a toddler) and I was very impressed that we were able to coordinate naps well enough for DD throughout the week that we didn't have to miss any of the big late night stuff. We couldn't keep that pace for the whole time so there were some events that were interesting to us, but we just couldn't justify keeping her up that late every night so we had to pick & choose which ones we got to do. But overall I think she was a great age to still be really into the magic, but old enough for the kids club and to be able to spend a couple of nights up late.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter