Lets use this thread to track Port Upgrades

Has anyone ever had a party of (5) or (6) that had to be in two staterooms, inquired for and paid for an upgrade and was able to put your entire group into one stateroom? I'm just curious if that's even doable (or is the second room in danger of being "cancelled") and if so, what it does to the price, since in our case we have three kids and two are being charged adult rate.

In our case, we have two VGT's, would inquire for a stateroom that sleeps 5 such as 4E or even a concierge level.

Has anyone ever had a party of (5) or (6) that had to be in two staterooms, inquired for and paid for an upgrade and was able to put your entire group into one stateroom? I'm just curious if that's even doable (or is the second room in danger of being "cancelled") and if so, what it does to the price, since in our case we have three kids and two are being charged adult rate.

In our case, we have two VGT's, would inquire for a stateroom that sleeps 5 such as 4E or even a concierge level.

In every case that I have seen, cabin upgrades are a 1 to 1 upgrade. You certainly can upgrade to one that holds 5, however, you would not get a refund for the other cabin. Upgrades are done on a cabin basis, not a per person basis. So, it doesn't matter how many people are in a cabin that you upgrade. The upgrade charge is per cabin. All of you could be in the upgraded cabin, and the other one would go empty, or you could still have access to it. However, it would not be refunded.

I hope that is clear:)

I think many of the cruises are sailing full, so far fewer upgrades than in the past. Sailed on a BTB in March and the "no upgrades" sign was already up when we checked in for the second leg.

With the Magic cruises from New York (especially to Canada) having discounted fares, do you think port upgrades will be reasonable?

So I didn't notice anywhere for upgrades at San Juan when we did the Magic last year. I didn't actively seek it out, was too busy just trying to get a navigator, but in my recollections I'm not even sure where it would have been in that small space. We're leaving out of San Juan again next year so I'm wondering where I would look?

This thread will be similar to the one that is tracking *GT assignment. The hope is that once we build some history people might have a better idea of what they will pay if they seek a port upgrade.

#1. What catagory did you pay for?
(please make sure you put the catagory you paid for and not the catagory you were assigned. For *GT reservations please put whether it was IGT, OGT or VGT).
#2. Which Ship?
#3. Number of Nights?
#4. Month/Year of Sailing
#5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment?
#6. What time did you check-in?
#7. What catagory were you offered for upgrade?
#8. How much was the upgrade?

If there is anything I left off please let me know. It would be great to get this info from anyone who has even attempted an upgrade regardless of whether you accepted or not. The more data the more prepared we will be when we attempt a port upgrade.:)

1. 4A
2. Wonder
3. 3 Nights
4. May 2017
5. 10:30 PAT
6. 10:50
7. Cat T
8. $1400

#1. What category did you pay for? (this was confusing) I had two rooms booked, an inside IGT and a Veranda VGT (2ppl in each) Was assigned Cat 11C and 6A
(please make sure you put the catagory you paid for and not the catagory you were assigned. For *GT reservations please put whether it was IGT, OGT or VGT).
#2. Which Ship? Wonder
#3. Number of Nights? 7 nights
#4. Month/Year of Sailing December 2017
#5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment? 11am
#6. What time did you check-in? 10:30am
#7. What category were you offered for upgrade? Cat V Concierge Family Oceanview Veranda
#8. How much was the upgrade? $2800 (it took them a long time to figure this out, I asked to upgrade both rooms into the one room, if i understood correctly the final conclusion was the price to upgrade the lowest category room, so an 11C to V. I declined the offer.

Not a free upgrade but:
1. What category did you pay for? 11A
2. Which Ship? Dream
3. Number of Nights? 4 nights
4. Month/Year of Sailing January 2018
5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment? we were on a BTB
6. What time did you check-in? 10ish
7. What category were you offered for upgrade? Cat 5A Deluxe Verandah
8. How much was the upgrade? $340

I think that was a decent price as we were originally offered an 8A Family Oceanview for $340 but I asked if there were any verandahs available and the CM offered the 5A for $500. I used the fact that we were on a BTB and really disliked our first room and she came around to offfering the 5A for the $340. This was our 9th cruise and I've never tried to upgrade before but the process seemed easy, other than we had all our belongings still in the old room so had to go pack up and move them once we reboarded.

I've read about people going back to the desk to try for an upgrade later on, well after they board. Is it problematic to walk off the ship like that? Do they often have more availability for cheaper upgrades (I'm not referring to concierge) later on?

It would be nice to know how much of a savings were received compared to booking the same upgrade on the website or through your TA. :chat:

I've read about people going back to the desk to try for an upgrade later on, well after they board. Is it problematic to walk off the ship like that? Do they often have more availability for cheaper upgrades (I'm not referring to concierge) later on?

I have not heard of people coming off the boat to upgrade after they have boarded. That does sound problematic and not sure if that would be allowed?

I have, however, heard of people going to guest services onboard the ship and ask for upgrades after the ship has left the port.

I have not heard of people coming off the boat to upgrade after they have boarded. That does sound problematic and not sure if that would be allowed?

I have, however, heard of people going to guest services onboard the ship and ask for upgrades after the ship has left the port.
I only knew that was an option because there was a sign at guest services that mentioned “we are sailing with a full ship no upgrades are available”. Or something like that anyway.

1. What category did you pay for? 5A
2. Which Ship? Fantasy
3. Number of Nights? 7 nights
4. Month/Year of Sailing: February 2018
5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment? 10:30
6. What time did you check-in? Around 10:30
7. What category were you offered for upgrade? Category T, a one bedroom suite
8. How much was the upgrade? $4095.00

There were 5 one bedroom suites available. Three were on Deck 11 and 2 were on Deck 12. There was one accessible suite available in the 5. We checked on upgrading before our sailing and it would have cost us $11,000 so upgrading at the port saved $7000. And yes, we took it because the cruise was a gift for my birthday and my DH wanted to do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter