Lets use this thread to track Port Upgrades

Rachel - how did you book your taxi in advance? I said the same to my husband and he said you couldn't so I'm guessing he isn't looking hard enough....how did you go about it? Thanks!!!

I just googled "Dover Taxis" and I think we booked with Dover Heritage Taxis, I rang them as I don't think they have online booking. They have mixed reviews on Google so I am not necessarily saying they are the best but they were fine for us - my husband was panicking the day before because there was a ferry workers strike and the roads to the port were jammed, I explained it wouldn't be the same terminal but he made me ring them the day before, and they didn't answer which then made me nervous! The car wasn't there when we got to the station, which again gave me 10 mins of doubt, but the guy turned up and all was ok. And of course the roads were fine!

1. What category did you pay for? 5A
2. Which Ship? Fantasy
3. Number of Nights? 7 nights
4. Month/Year of Sailing: May 2018
5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment? Platinum, so no PAT
6. What time did you check-in? Around 10:30
7. What category were you offered for upgrade? Category T and R
8. How much was the upgrade? $45xx for T and even more for the R

Got the Walt Suite and it was fantastic. We have sailed in T before and in retrospect, for the cost and actual room space the T would be fine for our sailing party. The T and R rooms and the service have lots of similarities, just more space. A few of the perks and the giant veranda with the private hot tub really was the key difference. Rack rate at the last check before the cruise was over $38,000.

Lesroi,

How much did you pay to upgrade from the cat 5 to the cat R?

#1. What catagory did you pay for? 9C GTY
#2. Which Ship? Magic (Norwegian Fjords)
#3. Number of Nights? 10
#4. Month/Year of Sailing Aug 2018
#5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment? N/A Platinum
#6. What time did you check-in? Around 11 am
#7. What catagory were you offered for upgrade? 5C, T
#8. How much was the upgrade? $2376 for 5c and ~10K for T

Last edited:

#1. What catagory did you pay for? 9C
(please make sure you put the catagory you paid for and not the catagory you were assigned. For *GT reservations please put whether it was IGT, OGT or VGT).
#2. Which Ship? Wonder
#3. Number of Nights? 7
#4. Month/Year of Sailing Aug 2018
#5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment? 12:30
#6. What time did you check-in? Around 1
#7. What catagory were you offered for upgrade? T
#8. How much was the upgrade? $5888

Brief post about our experience here.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...oncierge-on-the-wonder.3701105/#post-59624859

Reading through some of these responses - and I am confused. Disney Cruise newbie here, taking my first one next year, on the Disney Magic, in Europe of all places (no baby steps for me lol)

• So - I booked one of the least expensive cabins - 11C category at a GTY status. At arrival, will they ask me if we want to upgrade - or am I asking them?
  • And if I am asking them - is it going to cost me the difference between what I paid & what the room is worth? <- if that is the case - no, I would have booked that cabin right now if I wanted to spend more $$
  • Or if I have to pay more, will it be a discounted amount, so kind of getting a deal if I upgrade from inside stateroom to let's say - outside stateroom for only $100 more (or something like that) ?
  • And if they are asking me if we want to upgrade, does that mean it will be F-R-E-E :) - if so - of course - upgrade away! LOL

I am used to DVC & haven't "paid" for a room in over 14 years - I am never offered an upgrade, nor do I ever ask in WDW......

At arrival, will they ask me if we want to upgrade - or am I asking them?

DCL CM's will not ask you if you want to upgrade at check-in. They simply get you checked in. Anyone that is interested in possibly upgrading at a fee (sorry, never free :cutie:), after check in needs to go to the far end where the supervisor desk is and get in line. THAT is the person you ask what upgrades might be available, if any, for your sailing. They will tell you what they have and if you are interested, they have a chart that shows them what you paid, and tells them how much more you would have to pay to get that specific upgraded stateroom. :-)

It generally IS cheaper than if you upgrade your room BEFORE embarkation day. How much of a discount seems to vary. Hope that helps!

Oh, and if you booked a GTD 11C, there is always the remote possibility you could get a slightly higher category. Others can weigh in that have more experience with GTY an GTD status bookings than I do. There is a thread that tells the difference in these two. Good luck and happy planning! pixiedust:

Reading through some of these responses - and I am confused. Disney Cruise newbie here, taking my first one next year, on the Disney Magic, in Europe of all places (no baby steps for me lol)

• So - I booked one of the least expensive cabins - 11C category at a GTY status. At arrival, will they ask me if we want to upgrade - or am I asking them?
  • And if I am asking them - is it going to cost me the difference between what I paid & what the room is worth? <- if that is the case - no, I would have booked that cabin right now if I wanted to spend more $$
  • Or if I have to pay more, will it be a discounted amount, so kind of getting a deal if I upgrade from inside stateroom to let's say - outside stateroom for only $100 more (or something like that) ?
  • And if they are asking me if we want to upgrade, does that mean it will be F-R-E-E :) - if so - of course - upgrade away! LOL
I am used to DVC & haven't "paid" for a room in over 14 years - I am never offered an upgrade, nor do I ever ask in WDW......
They won't offer. You'll have to go the supervisors desk and ask for availability. You must pay the price difference, but don't expect much of a discount unless you're upgrading all the way to concierge.

Last edited:
DCL CM's will not ask you if you want to upgrade at check-in. They simply get you checked in. Anyone that is interested in possibly upgrading at a fee (sorry, never free :cutie:), after check in needs to go to the far end where the supervisor desk is and get in line. THAT is the person you ask what upgrades might be available, if any, for your sailing. They will tell you what they have and if you are interested, they have a chart that shows them what you paid, and tells them how much more you would have to pay to get that specific upgraded stateroom. :-)

It generally IS cheaper than if you upgrade your room BEFORE embarkation day. How much of a discount seems to vary. Hope that helps!

Oh, and if you booked a GTD 11C, there is always the remote possibility you could get a slightly higher category. Others can weigh in that have more experience with GTY an GTD status bookings than I do. There is a thread that tells the difference in these two. Good luck and happy planning! pixiedust:
We plan to ask for an upgrade. If we go to the platinum desk first, will they help us with the supervisor desk or should we go to the supervisor desk first?

We plan to ask for an upgrade. If we go to the platinum desk first, will they help us with the supervisor desk or should we go to the supervisor desk first?

I thought you had to complete check-in at the port and THEN see about upgrading at the Supervisor's Desk IF Captain Mickey isn't already announcing that the sailing is full.

I thought you had to complete check-in at the port and THEN see about upgrading at the Supervisor's Desk IF Captain Mickey isn't already announcing that the sailing is full.

As far as I know, DCLCrazy, like Dug720 says, you will need to check in first when you arrive at the port and then go straight to the supervisor's desk. Good luck!

#1. What catagory did you pay for?
(please make sure you put the catagory you paid for and not the catagory you were assigned. For *GT reservations please put whether it was IGT, OGT or VGT).
11A
#2. Which Ship?
Disney Magic
#3. Number of Nights?
#4. Month/Year of Sailing
September 2018
#5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment?
#6. What time did you check-in?
#7. What catagory were you offered for upgrade?
5B
#8. How much was the upgrade?
$522

Cat T -- 2A 0C
#2. Which Ship?
Disney Fantasy
#3. Number of Nights?
Dec 2018
N/A because concierge
11 -- but upgrade was never taken it sailed empty
Cat R
$6200 !!!!!
#9. Did you take it
No way Jose, could almost pay another concierge sailing

Cat T -- 2A 0C
#2. Which Ship?
Disney Fantasy
#3. Number of Nights?
Dec 2018
N/A because concierge
11 -- but upgrade was never taken it sailed empty
Cat R
$6200 !!!!!
#9. Did you take it
No way Jose, could almost pay another concierge sailing

Thanks for this info. We're on the Fantasy in 2020 and both Cat R suites are still available. We're in a Cat V now so I'd guess it would be in the ballpark of $7500 to upgrade at port. We'd do it for that. It's almost $24K to upgrade right now.

Last edited:
For the 5 night San Juan-Miami:
#1. What catagory did you pay for? 9A
#2. Which Ship? Magic
#3. Number of Nights? 5
#4. Month/Year of Sailing: Nov 2018
#5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment? 11AM
#6. What time did you check-in? 11AM
#7. What catagory were you offered for upgrade? 5A
#8. How much was the upgrade? $655
#9. Did you take it: NO. Seemed REALLY pricey.

Friends on the same cruise:
#1. What catagory did you pay for? 7A
#2. Which Ship? Magic
#3. Number of Nights? 5
#4. Month/Year of Sailing: Nov 2018
#5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment? 11AM
#6. What time did you check-in? 11AM
#7. What catagory were you offered for upgrade? 5A
#8. How much was the upgrade? $250
#9. Did you take it: Yes.

For the 4 night Dream (with Castaway Cay Challenge):
#1. What catagory did you pay for? 5A
#2. Which Ship? Dream
#3. Number of Nights? 4
#4. Month/Year of Sailing: Jan 2019
#5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment? Platinum
#6. What time did you check-in? 10:30
#7. What catagory were you offered for upgrade? Cat 4
#8. How much was the upgrade? $450
#9. Did you take it: Yes, almost skipped it but opted to take it since the location was much beeper than the original stateroom.

7 night Eastern Caribbean
#1. What catagory did you pay for? 4A
#2. Which Ship? Fantasy
#3. Number of Nights? 7
#4. Month/Year of Sailing June 1, 2019
#5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment? 10:30am
#6. What time did you check-in? 10:30am
#7. What catagory were you offered for upgrade? Cat T
#8. How much was the upgrade $4200
#9. Did you take it: Yes, the cost to upgrade if we had done it earlier online would have been ~$14K. So we saved $10K by upgrading at port. There were 4-5 Cat T rooms left when we upgraded, which surprised me.

1. What category did you pay for? 7A
2. Which Ship? Wonder
3. Number of Nights? 7 nights
4. Month/Year of Sailing: May 27, 2019
5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment? Platinum, so no PAT
6. What time did you check-in? 10:30
7. What category were you offered for upgrade? Category 4B & Category T
8. How much was the upgrade?
$1500 for 4B $5530 for T

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter