LGBTQ Momma

Braden's Momma

Mouseketeer
My 15 yo recently came out so here I am! Thinking of taking him & the family for Gay Days next year. We've been over this time frame before but honestly didn't pay much attention. I want him to feel included and to be able to wear his Pride gear! He can't do that at Caribbean ports on a cruise as I am told it is still dangerous (we were supposed to cruise this year, obviously not happening) We did several trips over the years but it has been 5 years since our last trip. Magic Bands were brand new then. I am sure so much has changed. Please fill me in on all the changes!!!

My 15 yo recently came out so here I am! Thinking of taking him & the family for Gay Days next year. We've been over this time frame before but honestly didn't pay much attention. I want him to feel included and to be able to wear his Pride gear! He can't do that at Caribbean ports on a cruise as I am told it is still dangerous (we were supposed to cruise this year, obviously not happening) We did several trips over the years but it has been 5 years since our last trip. Magic Bands were brand new then. I am sure so much has changed. Please fill me in on all the changes!!!
Stay away from the Caribbean with any gay-related stuff. Those Islands are not gay-friendly. At resorts, yes, but never leave the compound.

Glad to see a supportive mother! Gay Days is a ton of fun and I'm sure your son would love it.

Gay Days releases a schedule for their "red shirt days." Each of the 4 Disney World parks has a different day where you can wear a red shirt and pride gear. I don't think the schedule for next year has been released yet, but the park days are generally Thurs - Sun. The Magic Kingdom day almost always falls on the Saturday, and is by far the most attended. It's cool to see so many lgbt people and families in the park with a sea of fun red shirts, and it leads to a very social atmosphere.

It may take a bit for the schedule to be released for 2021 (this June's gay days was rescheduled to October b/c of the pandemic, so that is the only schedule available right now). This year's days were: Thursday - Animal Kingdom, Friday - Hollywood Studios, Saturday - Magic Kingdom, Sunday - EPCOT.
You should decide whether you want to link up with the red shirt days for all park days or just some of them, and then you can start planning which days you'll do which park and what dining options you want to hit for advance reservations. If you only do one red shirt day, please make it Magic Kingdom! Again, it's the most well attended and is a very joyous day that your son will love.

If it has been a while since your last trip, I encourage you to check out the many trip planning forums here on dining and fast pass reservations. Folks have been very thorough and detailed in documenting everything you need to know.

MK day always falls on the first Saturday of June...of course, this year isn't happening due to the coronavirus, but there's always next year.

Stay away from the Caribbean with any gay-related stuff. Those Islands are not gay-friendly. At resorts, yes, but never leave the compound.
Just learning these things! Is it just certain islands that my daughter would need to avoid or is it all the areas in the Caribbean? My husband is pushing for a cruise but I don't want to go if my daughter would be unwelcome!
Thanks!!

Just learning these things! Is it just certain islands that my daughter would need to avoid or is it all the areas in the Caribbean? My husband is pushing for a cruise but I don't want to go if my daughter would be unwelcome!
Thanks!!
Again, you're fine at the resorts. Just don't go too far into the non-tourist areas.

I don't think it's fair to say all of the Caribbean islands are anti-gay. It does vary. If a cruise to that area is something you want, I highly encourage you to google LGBT friendly Caribbean destinations. Since safety is always a concern for LGBT people traveling to new places, there are tons of resources out there that detail where to go and not to go. I'd pay attention not only to sites that describe what laws and protections queer folk have on the island, but also descriptions of what it is like for locals.

I believe I have heard good things about Curacao (which I think still hosts the only pride celebration in the Caribbean?), St. Martin, and Puerto Rico. I've heard mixed things about Aruba (it is one of the few islands large enough to support a gay scene with specific beaches, a nightclub, etc. However, I've heard locals on certain parts of the island are definitely not welcoming). It's certainly possible for queer people to go to the islands and have a good time, it just requires some research to know which destinations are best.

Thanks!!

My older son is gay and we sail on Disney cruises every year. Never had any issues in the Caribbean. He looks just like a normal 24 year old, so we have never given any thought to him being treated differently.

I just wanted to chime in and mention that Shop Disney released some nice looking pride apparel. It might be fun to have if your kids a big Disney fan.

In terms of the Caribbean cruise ports, I know there are quite a few LGBTQ+ individuals on the cruise boards, so you might want to post on those boards and see if anyone has experience.

Last edited:
Why would you want to go to a place where you are not wanted. ??
You work for your money,And to spend it at a place, where you are discriminated at it worthless to me.
Rather go to a place where I fit in at

How about going to Gay Days in Anaheim, CA? They are the first weekend in October, and there is also mini Gay Days in March. We go in October and always have a great time.

Why would you want to go to a place where you are not wanted. ??
You work for your money,And to spend it at a place, where you are discriminated at it worthless to me.
Rather go to a place where I fit in at
While I sort of understand this as a straight guy and step-dad to a lesbian daughter my second reaction is "to change their mind". I'd hate to see the world shrink back to a closet.

What a great Mom!!

I don’t have a basis to comment on the islands generally but my late husband and I had a harrowing experience on Barbados. A friend had rented a house from a private party, and part of the deal was that the owners provided transport to and from the airport. We sensed a lot of hostility on the drive to the house when the father in the family, I think, drove us. On the return, a young man in his 20s drove and was beyond hostile. Plus he played, at very high volume, a song with lyrics that were literally about killing gay people. Certainly one of the worst experiences I’ve had in terms of hostility to me as a gay man and the scariest travel experience I’ve had to date.

Thinking of taking him & the family for Gay Days next year.
While I haven't been to the one in WDW, I have been to the one in DL several times. In DL, it's one of the most crowded weekends of the entire year. It's worth going, though. Disney sells a lot of rainbow items and treats. We enjoyed it even back before we knew that we had a LGBTQ family member.
He can't do that at Caribbean ports on a cruise as I am told it is still dangerous (we were supposed to cruise this year, obviously not happening)
While it is true that you'll all be happier if he doesn't wear pride clothing on those islands, your time in the cruise ship shouldn't be an issue. I also wouldn't worry about the cruise owned islands such as Castaway Cay. I don't think that anyone could know that you have a gay teenager with you if you aren't advertising it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter