Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

since you mentioned the inknburn masks, I am going to brag, I managed to get two a couple weeks back. I was super lucky and swear in 5 minutes they were gone. i am with you though, I could have easily used one of my buffs.

since you mentioned the inknburn masks, I am going to brag, I managed to get two a couple weeks back. I was super lucky and swear in 5 minutes they were gone. i am with you though, I could have easily used one of my buffs.

Very impressive! I know @Ariel484 has also managed to get her hands on one (or possibly more, but I only saw one on Instagram). I'm thinking an actual mask would probably be better for things like grocery shopping and I can wear the buffs for running when I'm not really in close proximity to people that much, but we'll see if I actually end up buying a mask. I hate spending money on things.

Yeah so my few comments on the masks. They are soft so not scratchy on your face. While they still feel warm, when it gets hot outside (I am in atlanta) I think the wicking fabric will help some. Thankfully temps are still reasonable so heat with the mask is nit an issue.

my one complaint is no place for a nose piece to fit the mask tighter. The reason I want that is because I wear glasses and some air comes up then into my glasses and fogs them.

Very impressive! I know @Ariel484 has also managed to get her hands on one (or possibly more, but I only saw one on Instagram). I'm thinking an actual mask would probably be better for things like grocery shopping and I can wear the buffs for running when I'm not really in close proximity to people that much, but we'll see if I actually end up buying a mask. I hate spending money on things.
Yeah, I have a few. I wasn't going to get any, but I'm anticipating that I'll need to wear a mask whenever I go back to work...if I'm going to wear one, it may as well be a comfortable one. I've only worn them out for quick errands (grocery store, etc.) and they have been very nice. My mother-in-law made me one but it's SO thick that I know there's no way I can wear it for a full work day.

They do sell out very quickly. You may already know this, but each day they post which masks will be available that evening on their Facebook page. That was helpful for me to be able to plan which ones I wanted to try for. I was basically on the website signed into my account and refreshing a few minutes before they went live, and used the auto-fill credit card feature in my phone. I was able to get the ones I wanted that way (buying 1-2 at a time). I don't have anymore running buffs and tried to make a "no sew" mask myself, which was disastrous, so this is money well-spent for me.

my one complaint is no place for a nose piece to fit the mask tighter. The reason I want that is because I wear glasses and some air comes up then into my glasses and fogs them.
Hmm. This is interesting. I have this problem with my running buffs and one of my pairs of sunglasses. So I'd have to be careful not to wear the mask with those sunglasses. Or with my glasses.

You may already know this, but each day they post which masks will be available that evening on their Facebook page.
I've been seeing them post on Instagram. So far the days I've seen ones I wanted I either wasn't available when they went on sale or forgot until about 20 minutes too late. I gotta get better at that.

They’re probably not as cool as the InB ones, but the small family triathlon/sports apparel business I support is making masks too.

https://www.desotosport.com/
Thank you! I will check these out!

So ... let's talk about what's going on right now.
I ran about 10.5 miles on Tuesday. I hopped into Central Park and had to get out as soon as I could because I felt so panicked. Midtown was nice because there were so few people. Mask bothered me a little, but not a lot.
Today I did ~3 miles and while Central Park was emptier and not as terrifying, the mask was brutal. And the streets were crowded, so I had to wear it. Probably because it was rainy and therefore humidity, but ... the mask is really starting to get to me.
I'm contemplating taking next week off from running just to give myself a break from running with the mask. I think walking with it is a drop easier, so I'll still get some fresh air. Might also get a Disney mask or an INKnBURN (if I ever actually remember to pay attention to what time it is and don't miss the release) for a change of pace while walking/grocery shopping (which I may be able to avoid for another few weeks thanks to FreshDirect ... the only thing I can't really get from them is meat because it's expensive and cream cheese because they don't have any).

Definitely appreciating barre3 right now because it's something I can do without a mask. Also, I'm loving the community feel of the Livestream classes. They're doing a 15-day challenge starting May 1st and I plan to participate. I think that's gonna be my main form of movement for a while. And I'm perfectly fine with that. If running isn't serving me right now, then it's okay to take a break from it.

... Although I do need to do my runDisney Virtual 5Ks eventually.

Also, something that, as per usual, I can't post where it belongs:
If you want to run in a mask, please do. I'm all for that. If you want to social distance without a mask, that's awesome too. But don't mock or question someone else's decision. Everyone here is capable of making their own informed decision based on their own research, local guidance, and running routes. Some of us encounter a lot of people on our runs and need a mask for those encounters. Others never see anyone out there and don't really have a reason to run with a mask. Most of us are somewhere in the middle. Understand that you don't know someone else's exact circumstances, so their decision will most likely be different than yours. And that's okay. As long as you're practicing safe running, you've made the right choice. Mask or not.

I would trust InB's quality over Disney.

Yeah, I'm guessing InB is better quality. But I won't be using it that much (probably gonna stick with my buffs for running, then use this for grocery shopping and if I ever go back on the subway), so I don't know that I need the best quality...
I still think I made the right decision, though.

Yeah i too thought they were expensive, but went with the same logic you did. I was supporting a small business in the USA. We justify each other :)

I had trouble getting out of bed this morning to run. Partially because my alarm interrupted me in the middle of a strange dream where I was stuck in a Chinese airport (a local restaurant had managed to get me a flight for a few days later, but I wanted to get out sooner). But mostly because I'm not training for anything and I'm not accountable to anyone, so why run? I can't even use the excuse of getting outdoor time because these days outdoor time is stressful. So I was thinking about maybe doing weekly updates here again so that I can at least pretend that people are paying attention to whether or not I'm running. Although considering how much of a workaholic I've been lately ... we'll see if I have time for weekly updates.

Original plan for today's run was to head down to visit Patience and Fortitude for their 109th birthday (and probably add on a bit to get 10K there and back), but I really wasn't feeling it, so I'm going to try to do a belated 2.23 miles for Ahmaud Arbery instead. Will try to be back with a weekly update for last week at some point later today.

If weekly updates help, by all means dive in- regardless of running or not. Odd dreams are entertaining, too!
It is ok not to feel like running. Sometimes you do it anyhow and sometimes you skip it. If outdoor time is stressful, you have found plenty of other ways to add movement to your indoor time- doing that may well be the healthiest choice for now.

If weekly updates help, by all means dive in- regardless of running or not. Odd dreams are entertaining, too!
It is ok not to feel like running. Sometimes you do it anyhow and sometimes you skip it. If outdoor time is stressful, you have found plenty of other ways to add movement to your indoor time- doing that may well be the healthiest choice for now.

I don't know if I'd call this particular dream entertaining ... I was very worried about whether or not I'd be able to get out of China.
And thanks. I think I am trying to run a little, but nowhere near training levels. Goal is 2 runs a week (either 2 miles & 4-5 miles or 5K & 10K, depending on how I feel). But I'm definitely focusing more on indoor activities.

COVID-19 Wellness Focus - Week "Does Time Even Matter Anymore?" - May (the) 4th - May 10th, 2020

Monday:
  • barre3 Live on Instagram with Alicia Sokol (from barre3 DC - 14th St) - 10 minute class
  • SaltDrop Live on Instagram with Dino - 60 minute class
Tuesday:
  • barre3 with Vicky Livestream - 60 minute class
Wednesday:
  • barre3 with Lauren Livestream - 60 minute class
  • barre3 with Jenna (#2) Livestream - 60 minute class
Thursday:
  • barre3 with Kelly Livestream - 60 minute class
  • barre3 Live on Instagram with Lauren & Lifeway Kefir - 20 minute class
  • 2.70 mile run, 34:16 minutes, 12:43 min/mi avg pace
Friday:
  • barre3 Live on Instagram with Jenna (#1) - 20 minute class
Saturday:
  • Rest Day
Sunday:
  • barre3 with Vicky Livestream - 60 minute class

Total Running:
1 run, 2.70 mile run, 34:16 minutes

Total barre3:
5 Livestream classes
3 Instagram classes
Total time: ~ 5:50 hours

Healthy Eating:
Whomp. I snack a lot more than I should. And not necessarily healthy snacks. Plus, I forgot to order fruit in my last FreshDirect order, so ... sigh. Maybe once my INKnBURN mask comes I'll risk a trip to either Whole Foods or Trader Joe's to pick up some fruit and beer.

If anyone wants to know what this barre3 thing I'm always talking about is, they're doing some classes live on Instagram. Check out corporate at https://www.instagram.com/barre3/ or my local studio at https://www.instagram.com/barre3westvillage/. Or google around to find your local studio.
Also ... I've mentioned SaltDrop a few times. It's also available on Instagram right now, as a donation-based class (donations are not required but are encouraged). Check it out: https://www.instagram.com/thesaltdrop/.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter