Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

I have also transition to more indoor workouts. Partly it is because I don't have the best motivation to run right now and the weather has been very hit and miss. I am also looking to change it up as I was getting a little bored and with nothing to train for, I didn't feel like pushing myself.

yes i have to have my mask and glasses positioned just perfect so my glasses don't fog up.

I remember you mentioning that the mask fogged up your glasses, so I wasn't surprised to see it happening to me. My solution will probably just be to wear my contact lenses. Although I also may try to sew the elastic in a way that it fits me a bit tighter, so I'll see if that helps with the fogging.

I have also transition to more indoor workouts. Partly it is because I don't have the best motivation to run right now and the weather has been very hit and miss. I am also looking to change it up as I was getting a little bored and with nothing to train for, I didn't feel like pushing myself.

I get that. I hope you've been able to find some indoor workouts you enjoyed! I know PureBarre has been doing online live workouts, but I think you may have to be a member (or have ClassPass, which is where I've seen them ... haven't taken one yet, though). I keep wanting to try new things, but then end up not knowing what to try.

I decided not to register today. How about you?

Same. Although I still went into registration, but couldn't bring myself to fill out the form.

It's a little big and it definitely fogs up my glasses, but its here!
View attachment 494338

Dang......I was/am planning to try to get one (when they do a pattern I like), but the fogging thing is just ridiculous. When you say "big", is that a fit issue? area issue? It does look like it covers a lot of area.

At this point, I may end up swimming in masks. Made one, bought the Pixar ones (an impulse purchase which I can always give away), and then yesterday GM (my DH current employer and my former) sent everyone 5 masks that we have been producing over the last month or two. Haven't tried one of those yet, but at least they have a metal nose band that will maybe allow for a closer fit.

Dang......I was/am planning to try to get one (when they do a pattern I like), but the fogging thing is just ridiculous. When you say "big", is that a fit issue? area issue? It does look like it covers a lot of area.

I have a narrow head, so it's too wide for me. My plan is to try to shorten the elastic that goes over the ears (plan it to fold it over itself and sew it that way), which hopefully will make it fit more snug. If I do it with paper clips, it fits well, but that's not a good permanent solution.

Okay. So. I know that I'm not at all quiet about my love of Disney Parks and I know that my current job is available on my LinkedIn profile, so I'm used to people reaching out to me because they're interested in my company and want to talk about my experience there. But if you take the time to track down some random stranger's email address, email them about a job at their company, and then end the email with "what's your favorite ride and why is it Rock 'n' Roller Coaster?", that feels a little creepy. I'm fine with people sending me connect requests on LinkedIn (although I often don't accept them because I don't feel like I have the time to dedicate to chatting with people). I'm not in love with people sending me emails, but if it's strictly professional, I'm not upset, I just may not respond. But once you start bringing in things that have nothing to do with work and we've never even met or spoken, that strikes me as a bit of a red flag. (Didn't help that the person's name was male-sounding, but I don't know that I would have felt any better about this email coming from a non-male)

I go with creepy. Yes they could be trying to establish a connection but i would wait till the second email before that and plus it was explicit about your favorite ride. If i was a complete stranger trying to make a connection for a job but saw disney was in common, i might say something like what is your favorite thing not why is your favorite ride RNRC. Its sounds a little stalking like.

I certainly don't know the intention or creepiness, but is

"what's your favorite ride and why is it Rock 'n' Roller Coaster?"

A play-on the "What is your least favorite state, and why is it Florida?". I've seen that go around as a joke of some sort. It's like a "known assumption" that Florida is the answer, and so the follow-up is specifically stating that answer.

Remember when we met at the expo and I knew who you were and details about your life? Totally creepy on my part but I mentioned right away that we had these boards in common, so it wasn’t as big of a violation of the social contract.

Our society has kind of agreed to an unwritten rule that we shouldn’t let on how much we can discern about people online if we really tried. That right there is why I don’t blog despite being a flight attendant / frequent traveler. I could probably be doxxed through scattered details I’ve mentioned about myself on various platforms, but I’m careful not to link real name social media accounts, and to diversify usernames. Just to make it more of a challenge. Nothing posted on the Internet is truly private.

Okay. So. I know that I'm not at all quiet about my love of Disney Parks and I know that my current job is available on my LinkedIn profile, so I'm used to people reaching out to me because they're interested in my company and want to talk about my experience there. But if you take the time to track down some random stranger's email address, email them about a job at their company, and then end the email with "what's your favorite ride and why is it Rock 'n' Roller Coaster?", that feels a little creepy. I'm fine with people sending me connect requests on LinkedIn (although I often don't accept them because I don't feel like I have the time to dedicate to chatting with people). I'm not in love with people sending me emails, but if it's strictly professional, I'm not upset, I just may not respond. But once you start bringing in things that have nothing to do with work and we've never even met or spoken, that strikes me as a bit of a red flag. (Didn't help that the person's name was male-sounding, but I don't know that I would have felt any better about this email coming from a non-male)

I get random emails from undergrads looking to work at a big name company and grad students who reference random academic publications. 50% of them are just dumb, inappropriate, young comments. Some correctly identify how they got my information and keep it professional, but I see many trying to make some sort of personal connection which I assume is to try to stand out.
I generally classify them as (1) annoying (2) socially inept (3) fine to ignore. I would brush it off and not reply, and feel free to block sender.

But mostly because I'm not training for anything and I'm not accountable to anyone, so why run? I can't even use the excuse of getting outdoor time because these days outdoor time is stressful. So I was thinking about maybe doing weekly updates here again so that I can at least pretend that people are paying attention to whether or not I'm running. Although considering how much of a workaholic I've been lately ... we'll see if I have time for weekly updates.
Right now I feel that exercise is something we should be doing, but also keeping properly balanced. So if running outside is stressful with everything going on, then do what works best for you. Maybe that's more indoor exercise. Maybe that's even taking some time off. I think mental health is very important right now and you are the most qualified person to know what best helps your mental health.

It very well could be a red flag. It could also be their way of trying to establish some common ground to make conversations about potential jobs, etc.
I'm inclined to think it's the latter, but it still felt like a little too much. There were already other attempts to establish common ground ("we both have a particular type of education, let's compare our experiences"/"I'm really interested in your company, can we chat more about the interview process?"), so this felt like a bit too much. But it could have just been someone with good intentions trying way too hard. I've just, unfortunately, had enough bad experience (both my own and reading/hearing from others) of male-identifying people in my field who overstep their bounds with female-identifying people, so I tend to be overcautious for my own safety.

I go with creepy. Yes they could be trying to establish a connection but i would wait till the second email before that and plus it was explicit about your favorite ride. If i was a complete stranger trying to make a connection for a job but saw disney was in common, i might say something like what is your favorite thing not why is your favorite ride RNRC. Its sounds a little stalking like.
It's not my favorite ride, it's more of an assumption that of course that's my favorite ride (as per the recent meme/joke), but I think I would have been more comfortable with something like "I saw you did a Disney-related project, I'm also a big fan of the Disney theme parks."

I certainly don't know the intention or creepiness, but is

A play-on the "What is your least favorite state, and why is it Florida?". I've seen that go around as a joke of some sort. It's like a "known assumption" that Florida is the answer, and so the follow-up is specifically stating that answer.
Oh, it was definitely a play on that, but I'm not sure memes (or whatever that is) about people's personal interests are super appropriate in a first contact business-related email. It feels too informal.

Remember when we met at the expo and I knew who you were and details about your life? Totally creepy on my part but I mentioned right away that we had these boards in common, so it wasn’t as big of a violation of the social contract.
I mean, it was a little creepy, but mostly not really because it was in the right context. I was at the race expo, I was expecting to meet people who knew a lot about me from what I post on here.

Our society has kind of agreed to an unwritten rule that we shouldn’t let on how much we can discern about people online if we really tried. That right there is why I don’t blog despite being a flight attendant / frequent traveler. I could probably be doxxed through scattered details I’ve mentioned about myself on various platforms, but I’m careful not to link real name social media accounts, and to diversify usernames. Just to make it more of a challenge. Nothing posted on the Internet is truly private.
Totally agree on nothing posted on the internet being private (I actually don't believe that privacy exists in modern society, but that's a different discussion). I assume that people know pretty much everything there is to know about me. But because of that unwritten social rule, I don't expect them to reveal that fact at inappropriate times. Which was the problem here ... what was said and how it was said didn't feel appropriate for a first professional contact.

I get random emails from undergrads looking to work at a big name company and grad students who reference random academic publications. 50% of them are just dumb, inappropriate, young comments. Some correctly identify how they got my information and keep it professional, but I see many trying to make some sort of personal connection which I assume is to try to stand out.
I generally classify them as (1) annoying (2) socially inept (3) fine to ignore. I would brush it off and not reply, and feel free to block sender.

Thanks for the insight. My plan is to ignore the first email, and if this person contacts me again, to just say "I'm not comfortable speaking about my position with applicants." I definitely don't want to talk to this person, but I also don't want to accuse them of bad intent when it's just overenthusiasm.

I hope you are doing well! Running with a mask is so hard! People by me are mostly wearing it around there neck and only pulling it up when they pass people.. .. but with the nice weather its so hard because so many people are out!

oh i love the idea of trying a live stream Barre class! I really should look into this!

I hope you are doing well! Running with a mask is so hard! People by me are mostly wearing it around there neck and only pulling it up when they pass people.. .. but with the nice weather its so hard because so many people are out!
That's what most people I know are doing ... but I'd spend so much time pulling it up that I just feel better having it up all the time. It's definitely not fun, but ... it'll be over eventually. I hope.

oh i love the idea of trying a live stream Barre class! I really should look into this!

A lot of studios are doing Livestream classes ... definitely worth checking out!

I read the DisneyBound book today, and it had a really big impact on me. Yes, it's about DisneyBounding and how to do it (with lots of examples), but more than that, it's about embracing your personal style and expressing yourself through fashion, not just wearing what's expected.

I think I've spent a decent amount of time in my life wearing what I think others with think looks good on me or what someone else thinks is right for me, and while sometimes that's clothing that fits who I am, it isn't always. So I think I'm going to spend some time over the next few weeks going through my closet and figure out which clothing feels like it fits who I am and which doesn't really. As of right now, there's no plan to get rid of anything, but if I have it separated out, then I'll wear the clothing that fits who I am more often, and then I'll feel comfortable in my clothing more often.

I'm probably doing this a bit later in life than I should, but over the last few years I've really found myself on a journey to discover who I am outside of the expectations of others, and this feels like a natural evolution of that journey.

Also ... thinking I'm gonna DisneyBound Space Mountain CM for my second runDisney virtual 5K. Still not entirely sure what I'm doing for the first one, though.

COVID-19 Wellness Focus - Week "I Needed A Day Off" - May 11th - May 17th, 2020

Monday:
  • 2.23 mile run (#IRunWithMaud), 29:42 minutes, 13:18 min/mi avg pace
  • barre3 with Jenna #1 Livestream - 60 minute class
Tuesday:
  • barre3 with Jess Livestream - 60 minute class
Wednesday:
Took the day off from work! Did a long run, some cooking, and just chilled.
  • 6.62 miles, 1:23:00 hours, 12:32 min/mi avg pace (actually took off my mask for a few blocks in midtown ... it was amazing)
Thursday:
  • barre3 with Kelly Livestream - 60 minute class
  • barre3 Live on Instagram with Lauren & Lifeway Kefir - 20 minute class
Friday:
  • barre3 Live on Instagram with Lauren - 20 minute class
  • barre3 Live on Instagram with Marissa - 20 minute class
Saturday:
  • Rest Day
Sunday:
  • barre3 with Vicky Livestream - 60 minute class

Total Running:
2 runs, 8.85 miles, 1:52:42 hours

Total barre3:
4 Livestream classes
3 Instagram classes
Total time: ~ 5 hours

Healthy Eating:
Still snacking too much, but I've been meal prepping veggie-based dishes, so hopefully I'm balancing it out okay.

Work:
They sent out a survey to gauge interest in returning to the office, both in a situation where PPE is required and in a situation where things are back to normal. There were also questions about moving out of the NYC area, whether you have everything to work remotely, and what it would take for you to transition to fully remote. Basically, it sounds like they want to eventually transition us to a fully remote company. I'm not doing great with the remote work thing (although I did just buy a desk chair!), so this has been causing me a lot of anxiety. I love my company and my job and I don't want to start looking for another job, but if returning to the office is never going to be an option, I might start looking for a job where I can have a desk at the office.

Life:
I'm really starting to feel isolated. I've never been someone who really had friends, but I've always had people I talk to when I see them, but since I'm not seeing those people ... I'm not really talking to anyone. It's tough and I'm starting to feel isolated. Everyone says "reach out to someone..." except that I don't have anyone I would feel comfortable reaching out to. So I'm doing my best to stay connected with the people I do still interact with somewhat and trying to be better about taking advantage of random opportunities to safely be around people when I can.

I read an article this weekend that said a lot of NYC companies were looking to go completely remote or at least reduce their office footprint significantly. They mainly referenced finance companies but it was interesting to us since my husband works in finance. My husband does not want to be fully remote, but he already works from home pre-covid 1 day a week so he would be open to 3 days art home and 2 in the office if that is what they went to. My sister's company is talking about remote work till January. It is crazy to me. My job hasn't really announced what they plan to do yet. We will go back to the office at some point as totally remote is not an option, but I am hoping for a little more flexibility as previously we never worked remote, but I definitely need to go back as I couldn't just work from home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter