Literally

I LITERALLY just deleted the word literally from one of my posts, even though TECHNICALLY it was used correctly, because I started feeling self conscious after reading this thread....:tongue:

According to the dictionary, literally also means figuratively now, which is stupid and drives me crazy. I know language is always evolving, but some of these things I just cannot abide.
Seriously? That's a dictionary I wouldn't be using again.

I LITERALLY just deleted the word literally from one of my posts, even though TECHNICALLY it was used correctly, because I started feeling self conscious after reading this thread....:tongue:

Me too! lol I started to type literally in a response to a different thread and erased it because of this one.

So TECHNICALLY, I can say that I pay attention. :cutie:

I know use the word "like" too much... it's like a habit I have had for years and cannot seem to break.

My teenage stepdaughter uses the word literally in every sentence. :sad2:

Awesome.

At work, the new buzz word is capture. "We have to capture that data." Grrrr...

OMG. We are currently trying to break our nephew of using the word "technically" at the beginning of every sentence lol. We've explained the definition over and over and conversations still go like this:

Me: Did you brush your teeth yet?
Him: Technically, yes. I brushed them yesterday.

Me: Do you have any homework?
Him: Technically, no. I have one thing but the rest I finished in school

Me: Are you ready for practice?
Him: Technically, yes, I just have to put my shoes on. (as he sits on the couch eating chips with NOTHING ready)

Him: Technically, my cousins are my brothers and sisters since I live with them
Me: :headache: Remember how we talked about what "technically" means?

But he's 11, so......

My 7 year old uses the word “akward” in the same way It’s funny to me.

I have a bad habit of saying, “ Can I be honest with you?” I am waiting for someone to say, no lie to me!!!

There’s a social worker at my school who says, “And I was all like, AHH, so then he was all like, UGH, and then she was all like, GRR.”

This is a *literal* transcript of a CSE meeting I had with her last week, with parents, administration, and other professionals. This was her contribution to a meeting about a child’s academic and social needs. It was embarrassing. She speaks like this all the time. It’s as if I’m working with a 13 year old girl (no offense to 13 year old girls).

Certain words and phrases literally take over in the media and literally, it seems, our everyday conversation. This has literally become the one that I literally find most annoying.
Contemporaneously has been used a lot lately. I’m pretty sure based on context I understand what it means but I wouldn’t feel confident using it in a sentence and it’s an annoying sounding word

Certain words and phrases literally take over in the media and literally, it seems, our everyday conversation. This has literally become the one that I literally find most annoying.
f67334bc58f2468bad15312669d5edaa0afe4c44de4eb56039994a47f00d296b.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter