Live action reboots: why I dislike them

old lady

DIS Veteran
Sometimes, I enjoy them and other .. well, not. I always get the impression that the people of Disney are rebooted their cartoons for people who don’t like seeing cartoons. They view them as childish, which is strange since most of the live action versions are similar to the animation counterparts.

I agree. I know people who simply don't watch animation. They just can't connect with it or whatever. Personally, I think animated film making is almost a higher form of art. It can be simple and complex a the same time and convey emotions and ideas that are difficult in live action. For me, when they make the live action version too close to the animated version (like exactly the same with Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast), I think they're just fine as movies, but why would I ever watch them again when the animated versions are available? I would rather they change them up a lot, like Maleficent did, and tell a new story.

I can understand this. I felt this way about the live action Charlotte's Web, and I still haven't watched it and never plan to. The animated one is just too dear to my heart.

I just came back from seeing Christopher Robin (finally), and I thought it was wonderful. But I think it works because it's not just taking an animated film and turning it into live action. It's telling its own story. There were only a few other people in the theater today, and they had young children with them. I can imagine those kids were bored to tears. Meanwhile, adults like me who grew up with Pooh and totally identify with a grown-up Christopher Robin finding the magic of childhood again were laughing and crying and thoroughly engrossed.

I enjoyed the live action Beauty and the Beast, and Dumbo looks cute too, but I could live without either one.

I dont think that is the case at all. I think it has to do with holding on to the licenses for those properties as well as making them with modern technology for a new, much younger generation.

No reason a new, younger generation can't enjoy 2D animation...

Especially when half the time it looks better than the weird uncanny valley live action stuff.

It's one thing for Christopher Robin or Maleficent, where at least they're doing a new take, telling a new version of an old story.
But something as tepid and bloodless as Beauty and the Beast, compared to the Oscar-winning masterpiece that was the original...it's just frustrating.

...there really is no need for a live action Disney Hunchback of Notre Dame. You can get away with it being less dark when it's animated, but...ugh I dunno, it just frustrates me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter