• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Live from South Africa

abbyjt

Mouseketeer
Just a quick update from South Africa. Full details when I return. I have been posting on the South Africa thread from my phone. There is a computer terminal here in Knysna for hotel guests. Much easier.
Craig and Tina are our guides. Many of you know Tina. Craig is South African. He seems to know everything about the country, the plants, the animals the people. They are both wonderful. There are 16 adventurerers. 8 adults and 8 kids from 11 to 18. The kids sit in the FRONT of the bus, grown ups in the rear. Very funny. They all get along.
The country is amazingly beaufitul and the people are all friendly and helpful everywhere we have been, either with disney or on our own.
The hotels have been very nice. They have all the amenities including conditiioner (something I would want to know)
It is winter here. It's pretty cold. The first several days had lots of rain. We didn't get up to table mountain, but Craig worked some magic and we made it up to Signal hill, a lower peak that was clear. We managed to do all the activites, and somehow the rain would stop for the time we were outside. The hotels and shops don't use much heat. Bring layers and raincoats. Yesterday and today, weather is better, only wearing one fleece over long sleeve shirt.
Guides have advised that morning game drives will be FREEZING. Telling us to buy hats and gloves here if we didn't bring them (I did).
Dinners are casual. I brought a nicer pair of slacks, so I wore them, but didn't need them. The food has been very varied, lots of nice restaurants and more choices than on other abd's i've been on.
Having a great time. If you want to know the activities check the regular abd webpage. Just wanted to give a little update.

Abbyjt,

Thank you so much for answering all of our questions and for the heads up on the weather, guides, and events in your trip. I hope you have some pictures that you can share when you get back. We start our South African journey in 7 days.

We have been on 3 game drives now. I don't think there can be anything more amazing than a giraffe walking out of the bush and walking across the front of the vehicle. We have seen elephants, zebras, rhinos, and one lioness. We've seen wildebeast and buffalo and more.
The lodge is beautiful. again, it's cold here. only the rooms are enclosed. The eating venues are out door. We did have a few very hot hours this afternoon. The kids swam for 10 min. the water is not heated. The hubby and I had side by side massages with a view of the bush. so great.
Loving every second.
Tina says hi to Dotti (really)

Wow!!! Three game drives already? We are so excited about seeing the animals. I hope we see everything you have seen so far on our game drives next week. How many people are in each vehicle when you go on your game drives? Were the massages included in your trip or did you have to pay for them separately?
I bet you have taken a lot of pictures!!! Have you seen any snakes? Have mosquitoes been any problems yet? Thank you for sharing your experiences!

I so wish I could be in South Africa...Have a wonderful trip and cant wait to read your TP!

So glad to hear that you are having a wonderful time even though it is cold! Looking forward to your trip report as my sister and I plan to book this trip next summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter