Locals cost justification?

hertamaniac

DIS Veteran
Within easy commuting distance to WDW and wondering if anyone else is a DVC member, in similar proximity, and found membership to be justifiable.

I personally know some locals that are members, but they purchased their memberships prior to moving to the Orlando area. But they maintain their membership and do use it for long weekends and also when out of town guests come to visit, they will use the membership to give their guests a few days at Disney. They also will use their membership at Vero Beach and Hilton Head for getaways, and occasionally for Disneyland and Aulani.

We are 2.5 hours and find it worth it. If we lived right in Orlando I would still probably want it but would want less points since I would need to do the 1 night stays to do a specific event and such. I like the feel of making it a vacation vs just day trips.

Actually in the almost 9 years of living in Florida we have done one true day trip to the parks. We have been do Disney springs on its own when down in Orlando for other stuff.

Member here that's about 75 miles west. Takes us about an hour and a half. Well worth it for weekend trips. We don't stay a whole week at a time so we go more often with one to two night stays.

We own and live 30 min away. We love going for a long weekend and not having to drive home each night. Also since we're local we have the flexibility to pick up weekend cancellations. we have gotten luck with hard to get rooms like club level.

Plus Aulani is awesome!

We live about 10-15 minutes away and actually just became members about two days ago. We stay on Disney property for two-three nights through the year quite often so for us it made sense to go with this, we haven't booked our first trip but we are looking forward to doing it!

We live an hour away and we are members. We make frequent long weekend stays and often stay a week for Spring Break and in the summer. We never stay just one night because we feel like it's not worth it.

We live an hour NE of WDW.
We originally bought in back in '93 and added on in '98 and '11.
We take lots of short 1 - 4 night trips though out the year and one week long or longer trip each year.
We want to get enough points where we can stay 2 - 5 nights every month.

been a member since 1993 - Florida resident for 2 years - still own DVC but have given to my family a good part of it.
that was done so they could enjoy it and not have to pay a ton of money to transfer to their names on my death. Works for both of us. Of course sometimes I regret not selling it - but really wanted them to enjoy it and share the memories. I live 53 to 65 miles away from WDW in Lake county - it can take an hour to 90 minutes - a few times did it in 45 minutes - but that was following a bunch of people who were going to work.

I personally know two families withing 1/2 hour driving distance of Disney. They stay on property about 2-3 times per year. They say it's more enjoyable because there are no long car rides or plane schedules to deal with. There's nothing like the magic of staying on Disney property!

now that feeling use to drive 9 to 10 hours to WDW or flying (I hate flying) 2 1/2 hours - so getting in my car and being at WDW in less than 90 minutes or less is amazing. Although know that not everyone can move to Florida just to be closer to WDW.

Last edited:
“Commute” to WDW from home and use the points to travel. Remember there is CA, Aulani and you can use them on DCL and Disney Adventures. There are other groups as well (II, RCI, etc.). I can’t WAIT to move to Florida!

When we bought we lived 3 hours from Disney. It has been great... We often get season passes, and when you can drive it slashes the cost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter