Locals, please share how you tour.

rentayenta

DIS Veteran
Hi all. :wave: We are finally moving back home to Southern California after living in Utah for 24 years; a lot has changed since I've lived there. We visit 2-3 times a year and have 3-5 days Disney each trip but the last time I visited often and as a local I couldn't drive yet. :blush:

I am imagining we'll visit once a week. We have had Deluxe APs for 3 years and need to renew in January.

Thanks for sharing. :flower:

If you will be parking I would suggest upgrading at least one of your passes to Signature to include parking. I wish I would have done that. This is my first pass and I had no idea I would go as often as I have been.

That is great advice! I know DTD supplies free two hour parking but that is really not enough time to do more than get in, ride something, and leave. :thanks:

How often do you visit?

Agreed about the parking. I had the SoCal pass for the last 2ish years. This year I upgraded to Signature and it was the best decision. I go so much more because I can park, about once a week. I usually go for a few hours and always bring snacks and drinks. Meals are a relatively good value at DL (the chicken burger with fries at Smokejumpers is my go to and it is $10.99 - can barely get that outside the parks) but the snacks are just ridiculous. Sometimes I'll bring lunch too.

I loved having a pass and am debating getting one during my August trip this year. We live about an hour from Disneyland and we would go about twice a month (sometimes more). Our "touring plan" was the "Disney Wind" plan, i.e., just let Disneyland happen to you without any plan whatsoever. We didn't need to ride everything each trip, some days we would go over to DCA and just sit and have a glass (or 2-3) of wine and people watch.

Agree about the Disney Wind Plan. One thing we love about being local pass holders is not having touring plans. In fact, when friends and family visit and we tour with them, it feels weird. We average about one visit to the parks per week, sometimes more if we are meeting friends or if one of our favorite bands is playing. One of our favorite things to do is to share a popcorn and people watch.

I go once or twice per month at this point. I usually plan on doing one thing such as a certain meal or a certain ride or a certain area. Anything I do beyond that is a bonus. Knowing I'll be back makes is really easy to not get stressed about anything. Disneyland is often crowded when I am there and that does get to me, so I'll go over to DCA when that happens.

I loved having a pass and am debating getting one during my August trip this year. We live about an hour from Disneyland and we would go about twice a month (sometimes more). Our "touring plan" was the "Disney Wind" plan, i.e., just let Disneyland happen to you without any plan whatsoever. We didn't need to ride everything each trip, some days we would go over to DCA and just sit and have a glass (or 2-3) of wine and people watch.

Similar here, have had APs 10ish years, live an hour and a half a way. Sometimes we day trip, sometimes we spend a night or two. Or if in the area might stop in the afternoon for a few hours. We may just ride any ride short than 15 or 20 minute line and skip anything longer, no particular plan.

Typically I go on Saturdays-works out better for work and then I have sundays to recover! But I let myself sleep in so I usually arrive right after lunch. On the way over I think about what I'd most like to do and that influences my decision on which park to go to first, but if one is especially crowded I have no problem hopping to the other. On the tram ride I check the most popular rides to see FP return times to figure if any are worth grabbing right away. Besides that it is a lot of go-with-the-flow. May just wander in and out of stores; may stop to grab a snack; may go on some rides. But it's awesome having the freedom of knowing that if I don't get to something I can return the next week. If it is too crowded that's it not enjoyable I have left without doing any attractions, just checked out shops.

Agreed about the parking. I had the SoCal pass for the last 2ish years. This year I upgraded to Signature and it was the best decision. I go so much more because I can park, about once a week. I usually go for a few hours and always bring snacks and drinks. Meals are a relatively good value at DL (the chicken burger with fries at Smokejumpers is my go to and it is $10.99 - can barely get that outside the parks) but the snacks are just ridiculous. Sometimes I'll bring lunch too.

I agree the Signature with parking is the way to go. At $20 a pop it can add up plus we'll get 20% off instead of 10%. The snacks get us every time. :blush: I find the meals a good value too and we often share.

Well when I got the pass I was thinking I might go once a month but I've already been 10 times since I got it in February :rolleyes1

That'll be us I am sure! I haven't lived this close since I was a kid. I am so excited. :hyper:

I like the Disney Wind plan. Excellent! I am not planning on planning each trip out like we do, I was more curious about how locals tour like visit for the fireworks, ride a few ride, rope drop, etc. We for sure won;t plan like we do now though I am guessing we will still make the most out of the mornings and/or late evenings.

Agree about the Disney Wind Plan. One thing we love about being local pass holders is not having touring plans. In fact, when friends and family visit and we tour with them, it feels weird. We average about one visit to the parks per week, sometimes more if we are meeting friends or if one of our favorite bands is playing. One of our favorite things to do is to share a popcorn and people watch.

That sounds awesome! I can see us visiting, watching a show, riding a ride or two then leaving.

I go once or twice per month at this point. I usually plan on doing one thing such as a certain meal or a certain ride or a certain area. Anything I do beyond that is a bonus. Knowing I'll be back makes is really easy to not get stressed about anything. Disneyland is often crowded when I am there and that does get to me, so I'll go over to DCA when that happens.

We love to go to DCA when DL gets over crowded as well. Its such a nice reprieve from the madness. I like the idea of going for lunch or dinner and then doing whatever that fits around that.

Similar here, have had APs 10ish years, live an hour and a half a way. Sometimes we day trip, sometimes we spend a night or two. Or if in the area might stop in the afternoon for a few hours. We may just ride any ride short than 15 or 20 minute line and skip anything longer, no particular plan.

I like the idea of spending the night even though we will live 8 miles away. I have DVC reservations for a weekend in December to be able to enjoy the holiday decor and fun. I am kicking myself for not purchasing DVC at the GCV.

Typically I go on Saturdays-works out better for work and then I have sundays to recover! But I let myself sleep in so I usually arrive right after lunch. On the way over I think about what I'd most like to do and that influences my decision on which park to go to first, but if one is especially crowded I have no problem hopping to the other. On the tram ride I check the most popular rides to see FP return times to figure if any are worth grabbing right away. Besides that it is a lot of go-with-the-flow. May just wander in and out of stores; may stop to grab a snack; may go on some rides. But it's awesome having the freedom of knowing that if I don't get to something I can return the next week. If it is too crowded that's it not enjoyable I have left without doing any attractions, just checked out shops.

I am so looking to having that freedom you describe. :cloud9: Sounds perfect.

I live 10 minutes away in a city next to the parks. We usually do early days right at rope drop. The first few hours are bliss. I have also gone after work which has been pretty sweet as long as you don't hit parades as you enter. I have had 10 APs over the years.

I don't have a problem with meal prices (comparable to any local restaurant) but agree that snacks and drinks do add up. You just find what works for you and your tastes - salads, sammys etc.

Back in the day we would add on parking, but now I think the signature is worth it because of parking. I go on average once a week and that is a lot of money on parking.

I grew up in Orange County, so Disneyland is where my memories are and that is my park (never had an AP growing up). I visit Tomorrowland, mostly Star Tours and head over to the opposite side and hit my other faves in NO and AL, picking up Fastpasses along the way. Then I just do whatever I feel like.

Sometimes I will head into California Adventure but it is such a different experience for me. I loved TOT and the old Soaring. The new version is just not the same or as good for me. Haven't been on MBGOTG. I really like RSR and CS and World of Color is good but this park just doesn't have the same pull for me. I have to be in the right mood or be visiting with a friend I suppose.

Welcome back home :)

We have the second to the best pass, so only the last two weeks in December are blocked out. We got once every two weeks or so, and the glory of living locally is we can just swing by the parks after work, get some food, go on a couple rides and head out. No need to rush, no need to jam in as much as possible, you can go at your own pace :)

Or we will go at opening to enjoy the slow hours of the morning, then leave when it gets crazy ahah

The Signature pass also includes Photopass so definitely get at least one so you can get the free photos.

We live 11 miles away and go almost once a week. I don't have a "touring plan" because we don't need it. We do what we want, leave when we feel like it, and just generally go with the flow. It's so nice. I don't get stressed about lines and crowds...I just leave on days it is annoying me. Generally, we try to go when So Cal APs are blacked out, which makes a HUGE difference. We try to arrive before 10am to avoid the biggest crush at the parking lots and security lines (it gets bad after 10am).

We usually eat at least one meal in the parks each visit. That ends up being one of our "meals out" for that week so it doesn't impact our budget much. We encourage family to gift our kids with Disney GCs for birthdays and Christmas and they use those to buy snacks, treats, and souvenirs, so we don't spend much of our own money on those things.

We also go to the Downtown Disney AMC whenever there is a movie we want to see because if you go to a show before 11am, it is only $7 per person and you get an additional 2 hours of parking validation, so we see a movie then either go into the parks for a bit or have lunch at Downtown Disney or one of the hotels.

We also do a couple nights a year at one of the hotels over the summer so we can enjoy the pools and the Disney hotel vibe.

I live 70-90 minutes away depending on traffic, but I consider that local. My family and I go about 1x/month. Upgrading to a signature pass for one pass is perfect as it gives us the parking and the photopass feature. We usually get up super early, eat breakfast in the car, and are in by rope drop. We bring a snack and water for the AM. We go to whichever park doesn't have EMH first and pick a land to start with then systematically walk around (usually NOS or FL first if we are in DL or Carsland first in DCA). Sometimes we park hop, other times not so much. We eat lunch at one of the CS restaurants, spend a couple hours more wandering/riding/seeing shows, then drive home around 2 when it gets either too crowded or too hot for our tastes. Once or twice per year we stay late for the nighttime parades/shows/fireworks and about 1-2x/year we stay at a hotel and make it a longer vacation.

It is very nice! I mean right now, I'm laying in bed on a Saturday morning trying to decide if I want to go to the parks today! If I don't then I can always go next weekend (though that is July 4).

I. Can't. Wait! :woohoo:

I live 10 minutes away in a city next to the parks. We usually do early days right at rope drop. The first few hours are bliss. I have also gone after work which has been pretty sweet as long as you don't hit parades as you enter. I have had 10 APs over the years.

I don't have a problem with meal prices (comparable to any local restaurant) but agree that snacks and drinks do add up. You just find what works for you and your tastes - salads, sammys etc.

Back in the day we would add on parking, but now I think the signature is worth it because of parking. I go on average once a week and that is a lot of money on parking.

I grew up in Orange County, so Disneyland is where my memories are and that is my park (never had an AP growing up). I visit Tomorrowland, mostly Star Tours and head over to the opposite side and hit my other faves in NO and AL, picking up Fastpasses along the way. Then I just do whatever I feel like.

Sometimes I will head into California Adventure but it is such a different experience for me. I loved TOT and the old Soaring. The new version is just not the same or as good for me. Haven't been on MBGOTG. I really like RSR and CS and World of Color is good but this park just doesn't have the same pull for me. I have to be in the right mood or be visiting with a friend I suppose.

Welcome back home :)

:thanks: I grew up in Orange County as well and I will be returning to the city I grew up in. Cypress wasn't even on my radar when we decided to move back but the location cannot be beat and the schools are good.

I feel the same about Disneyland. I really enjoy DCA but Disneyland is home. :cloud9:

We have the second to the best pass, so only the last two weeks in December are blocked out. We got once every two weeks or so, and the glory of living locally is we can just swing by the parks after work, get some food, go on a couple rides and head out. No need to rush, no need to jam in as much as possible, you can go at your own pace :)

Or we will go at opening to enjoy the slow hours of the morning, then leave when it gets crazy ahah

The Signature pass also includes Photopass so definitely get at least one so you can get the free photos.

We live 11 miles away and go almost once a week. I don't have a "touring plan" because we don't need it. We do what we want, leave when we feel like it, and just generally go with the flow. It's so nice. I don't get stressed about lines and crowds...I just leave on days it is annoying me. Generally, we try to go when So Cal APs are blacked out, which makes a HUGE difference. We try to arrive before 10am to avoid the biggest crush at the parking lots and security lines (it gets bad after 10am).

We usually eat at least one meal in the parks each visit. That ends up being one of our "meals out" for that week so it doesn't impact our budget much. We encourage family to gift our kids with Disney GCs for birthdays and Christmas and they use those to buy snacks, treats, and souvenirs, so we don't spend much of our own money on those things.

We also go to the Downtown Disney AMC whenever there is a movie we want to see because if you go to a show before 11am, it is only $7 per person and you get an additional 2 hours of parking validation, so we see a movie then either go into the parks for a bit or have lunch at Downtown Disney or one of the hotels.

We also do a couple nights a year at one of the hotels over the summer so we can enjoy the pools and the Disney hotel vibe.

Great tip on the AMC! We will be taking advantage of that.

Love the idea of having family give Disney GCs as gifts.

I imagine we will go when the So Cal APs are blocked as well.

I live 70-90 minutes away depending on traffic, but I consider that local. My family and I go about 1x/month. Upgrading to a signature pass for one pass is perfect as it gives us the parking and the photopass feature. We usually get up super early, eat breakfast in the car, and are in by rope drop. We bring a snack and water for the AM. We go to whichever park doesn't have EMH first and pick a land to start with then systematically walk around (usually NOS or FL first if we are in DL or Carsland first in DCA). Sometimes we park hop, other times not so much. We eat lunch at one of the CS restaurants, spend a couple hours more wandering/riding/seeing shows, then drive home around 2 when it gets either too crowded or too hot for our tastes. Once or twice per year we stay late for the nighttime parades/shows/fireworks and about 1-2x/year we stay at a hotel and make it a longer vacation.

I consider that local too. :) 90 minutes away could be 30 miles in traffic. ;)

Great tip to go to the opposite EMH park. I can see us not hooping and doing either a DL or DCA day depending on our mood.

The one thing I think I will miss are the pool time midday breaks.

I. Can't. Wait! :woohoo:

:thanks: I grew up in Orange County as well and I will be returning to the city I grew up in. Cypress wasn't even on my radar when we decided to move back but the location cannot be beat and the schools are good.

I feel the same about Disneyland. I really enjoy DCA but Disneyland is home. :cloud9:

I live in the city I was born in and grew up in. I live within walking distance to the hospital I was born in too! I am one of those people!!
When I was a kid there was a hotel around the corner that had a sign that said 8 miles to Disneyland. I alway that that was the best sign ever!!

I live in the city I was born in and grew up in. I live within walking distance to the hospital I was born in too! I am one of those people!!
When I was a kid there was a hotel around the corner that had a sign that said 8 miles to Disneyland. I alway that that was the best sign ever!!

I have a few friends who never left Cypress and couldn't be happier. I am glad I did, went to college in Long Beach, had roommates, loved it, got married, and have been in Utah for 24 years. Eventually we will end up in Long Beach but Cypress works for now. I am elated to be 8 miles from Disneyland and 9 miles from the beach. :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter