long weekend in NY

elisebutt

DIS Veteran
Dh and i are probably going to NY for a long w/end in NY in feb for our anniversary.

Can anyone recommend a good hotel and how much it it is likely to set us back?? - Also any recommendations on flight - we usually fly United, but Virgin seems to have a good rep here??

Cant recomend a hotel, coz when i was there last time i was staying in the YMCA with a bunch of students, I flew Virgin, very good no problems excellent service.
Are you planning to visit a couple of sights?, make sure you do the empire state building and statue of liberty, and if youre a shopaholic you MUST go to Macys!!.
Feel free to ask any questions

Jules

We have been to New York a few times in February. Flown both BA and Virgin - Virgin wins hands down. If you bokk early enough you can get some excellent fares ( 2 years ago we paid £190 at Feb half term with Virgin). It has snowed every time we have been there. Central Park is amazing in the snow - you must ice-skate there. We have stayed in Loews Hotel (great esp with kids), the Essex House (directly overlooking Central Park and next to the Plaza - pricey but well worth it!).

Take the Apple Tour bus - you can hop on and off. Tickets are available at all hotels, Statue of Liberty (wrap up warm - its bleak over there in winter), try and get tickets for Broadway - there is so much I could go on and on!!!

Elise

We've used both The Warwick Hotel (3*) and the Omni Berkshire Place (4*). I've looked at the rates using www.hotelreservationnetwork.com and the Warwick is approx $180 plus tax and the Omni Berkshire Place is $280.00 for this year as it doesn't show rates that far in advance. The Omni is in a fantastic location just off 5th Avenue so there isn't that far too walk after you've been buying all your goodies!

Another website to try is www.hotelkingdom.com but you should also try each of the hotel website as they sometimes have special deals. Maybe nearer the time you could try Priceline as we used them successfully this year when we went to Boston. Saved us a fortune on rack rates!!

Lisa

hi!
i went to NY only a couple a months ago and stayed at the roosevelt on madison ave
the location was great and the rooms were very big for NYhotels, we were 5 mins walk from empire state and 5 mins walk from times square, but to be honest everywere in midtown manhattan is going to be in good location,
we payed £110 a night for accomadation which is about average for a hotel in manhattan (we booked this indepentatly through thomas cook) we also flew with BA into JFK and were lucky enough to get upgraded into club (woo hoo never flown like this before)
also stayed at the metro a few years ago which is a very good located hotel a stones through from times square and is very reasonable in price.
hope that helps

giggler:bounce:

Hi

I went to NY in April this year flew with BA (bit disappointed) and stayed at the Hotel Pennsylvania. This was a really nice hotel in a fantastic location, one block from Empire State Building and 5 mins walk to Times Square.

We booked the hotel through : www.hoteldiscount.com and paid about $79 per night, which was a good rate for Midtown Manhatten.

Hope you get a good deal and if you have any questions just ask.

Helen :D

...... do you have any tips on using Priceline? We've never used them before but on our return from Orlando on BA, the people behind us had only paid £139 return!!!! We thought we'd got a good price from the Travel Store but that was just incredible!!
(They'd got this price in December for the May flight)
It looks like we'll be going to NY in October and I thought I'd like to give Priceline a whirl!

Another vote for The Metro (it's in the Virgin brochure brochure).The hotel was really nice without being intimidatingly posh;) and includes free breakfast and free tea and coffee all day.There is a resaurant roorf terrace with a fantastic view at night of The Empire State Building all lit up which is the next block.It was with-in easy walking distance of Times Square,nice for going there in the evening.Also opposite is Macy's:D

When I return to New York I'll definitely stay there:Pinkbounc

I've had 4 w/e in NY and always stayed on Times Sq in the Marriott Marquis. It's a fab hotel with an excellent rotating restaurant at the top (you can eat there even if not staying there). Agree with others - Virgin beats BA hands down (econ and 1stC).

Karen and Paula, can you give me a rough idea of the rates at the hotels you liked?

marriottmarquis

Follow the links to New York,
Have a quick look, you can enter the dates you wan't and check out the rates, there are several room options but I would say any are fine!

Good luck.

I am not sure if this will help or not, but I live in New York about 45mins from the city and have used priceline for a hotel stay and got a great deal. Even living here in NY it is still nice to get away and take in the city for a weekend now and then. My husband even works in the city and we still get there for a weekend or so whenever we can just to enjoy the sights. Have fun and good luck in your search for a bargin.

Hi Shirley,

Both times I booked my trip as a Virgin package,so I don't know the rates.I have seen the Metro on Hotel Kingdom though.
Their direct phone number is:001 212 947 2500:D

One of the things they have which is helpful to know is a family room for 5 people (not bookable with Virgin only direct).When I was thinking of going to NY with the family there werent many places that would take 5 people like the Metro does.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter