Looking at all the options

We have been to Disney 4 times staying at the Disney moderate resorts each time. We go every 2 years. I have cut corners to save, by driving, and booking to include free dining 2 times. We have also paid for meals 2 times. The average cost has ranged from $2,500 - $4,500 when all was said and done. I have a young family (7 & 9) that enjoys the the resorts. As far as vacationing else at other places, nothing has compared and we always find ourselves wanting to go back to Disney. My initial thought was to buy direct for the benefits and then buy additional points on the resale market for the same time period at the same resort to save money. What makes sense to me right now is 200 points at Saratoga Springs at $18,000 and the annual maintenance fees of $1,172. Once paid off maybe purchasing an additional 50 points for room upgrades. However when we went to the DVC presentation the agent informed us that if we buy resale we lose significant benefits. If we bought at CCV for $18,200 it works out with our Disney vacation habits. There is such a savings in the resale market if we buy at the right time, and cash flow works well if we buy in smaller blocks. However because we were told so many benefits are lost from not buying direct I feel hesitant to go any further. I am always looking for value and it might be the value presented over the increase in future prices. Just wondering what other opinions are.

If you really want direct perks buy 75 points direct and you can still buy most resorts. A CM might tell you you cannot, but you can, just have to go on a waitlist for some resorts. That is all you need then buy the rest resale. CCV also has higher dues than SSR. Would you be happy staying at SSR compared to CCV. All the properties are different some like ones more than others. They all have positives and negatives. BCV and VGF are hard to get studios there unless you own there. Buying small contracts 50 or less on the resale market usually is not a good buy. Once you calculate in fees with the premium price they get for the small contracts . The prices end up near direct prices. Resale you have to wait months to see if DVD buys it from under you. Direct, points are in your account in a very short time, almost immediately.

Last edited:
If you really want direct perks buy 75 points direct and you can still buy most resorts. A CM might tell you you cannot, but you can, just have to go on a waitlist for some resorts. That is all you need then buy the rest resale. CCV also has higher dues than SSR. Would you be happy staying at SSR compared to CCV. All the properties are different some like ones more than others. They all have positives and negatives. BCV and VGF are hard to get studios there unless you own there. Buying small contracts 50 or less on the resale market usually is not a good buy. Once you calculate in fees with the premium price they get for the small contracts . The prices end up near direct prices. Resale you have to wait months to see if DVD buys it from under you. Direct, points are in your account in a very short time, almost immediately.
And even owning at GFV won't guarantee a studio there at 11 months out. They just have so few and it is a small resort.

Sometimes it is easier to buy resale first and get Disney to match what you have when you buy direct .

Sometimes it is easier to buy resale first and get Disney to match what you have when you buy direct .

I agree with that. The reason being there are many variables that can go against you during the resale process - finding the right contract with enough points, the bidding process, and ROFR to name a few. When adding on direct, the only thing you need to worry about is if the points are available or not, assuming you have the funds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter