Looking for Gulf Shore area from the experts here

jaredjohn4

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner
We just got back from 24 days on the road and 11 good days at Disney. It was a learning trip. We went about 3 weeks earlier than usual. This time instead of my wife flying to Florida to meet me and the dog, she rode down with us. We ended up driving almost straight through from just west of Chicago because nothing was really open and warm enough until south of Atlanta. After our time at the Fort we headed up the east coast to Jacksonville, Charleston, then cut across to Pigeon Forge and finally Nashville. By the time we got back, near Chicago it was about 3400 miles and I had to re-winterize the rig. This week we will have 3 straight days around 25 degrees overnight.
Maybe foolishly, we are already planning the next trip. We are going mid to late September and into October for about a month total. We will leave Chicago, then Kansas City, Oklahoma City, Dallas/Fort Worth to see extended family and friends. Then along the coast. New Orleans over to the Destin / gulf area for about 3 days before jumping down to Disney. Then back north to Atlanta, Nashville, finally Chicago. I have read on here many times about Camp Gulf and places near the coast, but now I am really seriously looking at them. We drag a 38 foot fifth wheel and are looking for full hookups somewhere near the coast to relax before we see Mickey. We've never really been in that area before. I'm hoping someone here can help point me to some good choices. Yes I know it will be hot and humid then. Thanks in advance for all your knowledge.

I'll let the Alabama Gang chime in about Gulf Shores. I've been a total of once. However, do you need any ideas for KC or OKC? I can help there.

Sounds like you had a good trip and planning another good one

Well I love Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores. It has 500 full hookup campsites (paved). It is a bike ride or walk off the beach on the north side of the beach highway. It also has a pool. Go to www.alapark.com to find it and make a reservation (you reserve a specific site). The 2nd wave of Comfort Station refurbs is taking place so check the list of the one nearest your site (if you will need to use a CS). Lots of biking and walking trails and free parking for campers at the Beach Pavilion.

There are lots of RV places in the area (none within walking/biking distance of the beach). It's a 30-minute drive south of I-10 to get there. There is a Buc-ees at that exit. Use the Orange Beach (town next door) toll bridge over the Intercoastal Waterway or slide over to Hwy 59 and take its public bridge into GS.

Gulf is popular and books well in advance (up to a year for the more popular campsites like those along the lake). So use specific dates to see what's available. BTW that is hurricane season in our little corner of the world (and at WDW too).

Bama Ed

PS - check that. There is one RV spot within walking distance of the beach, shops, ice cream parlors, and restaurants. It's "Luxury RV Resort" across Hwy 59 from Papa Rocco's (home of warm beer and cold pizza). Stayed there 2 nights for the GS Marathon one year. Nothing special at all. It's sole selling point is its location. It's a concrete pad surrounded by sand and marsh (no shade). But it has location, location, location.

Last edited:

Oh, other places I have driven past in the area but I have no knowledge from ever staying there. There are also some Florida State Parks along the FL panhandle.

I also like little Meaher State Park just east of Mobile (have stayed there) on an island along Hwy 98 (that parallel's I-10 east of Mobile in the middle of Mobile Bay). Simple campground with some shaded sites and a nice view of I10 across the water (pretty at night). To be clear, not close to any gulf beaches (Dauphin Island is the closest). Good restaurants on Hwy 98 "The Causeway" right outside the gate. Near the USS Alabama, not far from Daupin Island, Fairhope, and slighly over an hour to the Gulf Shores (beach) area.

Last edited:
Gulf State Park. Best site conditions, plenty of room from neighboring sites. Great pool. TONS of biking and walking. Easy access to a public beach that few people go to because there is very little parking but easy bike ride for campground. Literally in middle of everything. I've been in several of the others. Poorly kept for a lot of them and right on top of neighboring sites.

Just my opinion.

Four or five years ago I tried to get in there on my way back north after spring break and they said they were full, the snow birds hadn't left yet. I'll try again for this hot time of the year, maybe they won't be there yet. Thanks for all the great info. I see a lot of other campgrounds in the area, but most only have about 50 sites so I don't expect much availability. On our way back north this year, other than tent sites, most camp grounds were 95-100% full.

I've been to a number of places along the Gulf coast, from Gulf State Park to Camping on the Gulf in Destin.

GSP is great, but it isn't on the beach or even on the beach side of the main drag.

Camping on the Gulf is literally "on the beach". We've stayed there 4 or 5 times. The beach front sites don't have sewer, but there is a pump out service. They are VERY tight. If you have slides on both sides, you don't have room to put out an awning. The next row back has a little more room, but not much.

Towards Destin, I like Topsail and Henderson State Parks. The campgrounds for neither are on the beach, but they are on the beach side of the main road (US 98). Both are hard to get reservations and don't have a lot of big sites.

For private places, there is Destin RV Park in Destin. It is on the north side of the "beach" road about a block back. It is walled in and feels a little like a concrete jungle, but the sites are nice.

Farther west on Okaloosa Island (Ft. Walton Beach) is Destin West RV Park. It is nice on the bay side, but is "water front".

Between Gulf Shores and Pensacola is Perdido Key RV Resort. It is on the bay side (intercoastal waterway) right at the bridge to the mainland west of Pensacola. I haven't stayed there but have driven through. I think Ed may have stayed there before.

Camping on the Gulf is something you should do at least once, if you love the beach. If Fort Wilderness prices bother you, don't look at the beach front sites. During the summer, those rates make a Premium Meadows site seem "reasonable".

j

Thanks for all the great information. I was able to use the online reservation system and get a site for 3 nights starting Sept 22. It was a little confusing, but I got through it. Thanks for everybody's help.

The Gulf State Parks site #78. I have no idea if it is good or bad, but the area appears to be a good place to relax before hitting the Fort for 10 days.

78 is a nice area on Sumac Rd. I have been on 72 and 69 or 71, about midway on that road. 78 is towards the end, closer to the pool. Nice sites.

Have a great time. I'll be at GSP in about 2 1/2 weeks, but way down the road on 429.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter