Looking into options for Mom/Grandma for possibility of ECV for next trip

Here are top 5 Reasons that people think they shouldn't get an ECV when they should.

I can't drive one. Go to your local Costco/Walmart/Target or other large store. They probably have an electric cart type thing that you could use while shopping. Try it out. I bet you can drive it.

People might think I don't really need it because I can walk. Are these people going to share the pain with you at the end of the day? Do you care what they think? Save your walking energy between rides and use it for lines or getting on the rides. Enjoy your family and your vacation.

It will slow my family down. No, actually it will speed your family up. No more rests because mom is tired. No more going back to the hotel because grandpa is in pain. No more cranky mommy because she tried to walk miles and miles in Disney instead of renting an ECV. You are completely mobile on your own (nobody pushing you in a wheelchair). What's the slow down here?

It's expensive. Um, how much are you spending on this vacation? Don't you want to enjoy it? If money is that tight, take a day off of your trip and spend that money on the ECV so you can enjoy it!

I don't want my kids/family to think I am disabled. You are either temporarily or permanently disabled in some way if you are even asking about this issue...once again, why not make it a better vacation by saving yourself from pain? Nobody is saying you have to confine yourself to a wheelchair permanently or you should not stop trying to get better. If somebody told you to go walk 4 miles, you would think they are crazy. But you are paying for the privilege when you go to Disney to do just that...why not use an ECV to make your family's vacation better?

This has been a great thread for me. I've been to WDW multiple times in the past (including the year it was built), but never rented a scooter. This year will be my first. While I've never been able to stand for long periods, walking wasn't an issue till more recently. We are spending five days to celebrate our anniversary and this will be our first without grandkids (other than a one day event several years back). So the rides are for us and we can start early or late and stay as late as we want. LOL!

I wondered about being able to bring the scooter in, park it and do some walking, then come back to get it when I start to tire (or know I'm going to a ride with a longer wait time). Glad to see that is doable. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread!

Getting scooters on and off the buses are the worse. It will be less stressful for her if one of you do it instead. Hopefully, she can manage getting in and out on the bus on her own accord.

Soarin' is a challenge to get to. You need to use an elevator to get on the same level as the ride. Again, it would be great if someone else took over the scooter to get the scooter in and out of the elevator.

Not automatically. There is no indication at this point that the mom will have ANY problem getting on;off buses, monorails, etc. None.

I am in the same boat with RA, back and knee issues. I started using a scooter and the first trip with a scooter was FANTASTIC! I felt so much better at the end of the day and actually enjoyed my vacation!

Here are top 5 Reasons that people think they shouldn't get an ECV when they should.

I can't drive one. Go to your local Costco/Walmart/Target or other large store. They probably have an electric cart type thing that you could use while shopping. Try it out. I bet you can drive it.

I'm somewhat confused by this. I'm wondering if it's only in our area, but NONE of the ECVs at the stores have a speed control option. It's just on/off. Practically all of the ECV accidents I've seen at WDW are from people driving too fast, either getting on/off a bus, around corners, etc. So although I'd done a lot of driving at stores, I had no experience controlling speed, so it took me some time at WDW with the scooters there before I was ready to go into "traffic".

I'm somewhat confused by this. I'm wondering if it's only in our area, but NONE of the ECVs at the stores have a speed control option. It's just on/off. Practically all of the ECV accidents I've seen at WDW are from people driving too fast, either getting on/off a bus, around corners, etc. So although I'd done a lot of driving at stores, I had no experience controlling speed, so it took me some time at WDW with the scooters there before I was ready to go into "traffic".

Most of the "shopper carts" at our local big box/grocery stores have speed control - but it's only by how much you pull/squeeze the lever, or push the throttle with your thumb (depends on the style).

The biggest (overall) danger at WDW that I see is with departing the bus - if you come down the ramp, and then turn too early, you are almost guaranteed to tump over. The back wheels will get caught on the "lip" that is on either side of the ramp, and it can easily turn over an ECV. That's why you may see drivers at the bottom of the ramp when ECVs or other personal mobility devices are coming off the bus; they don't want you to try and turn too early, especially when the ramp has "bridged" a gap between the bus and a sidewalk/curb.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter