Looking to buy at SSR; would existing owners buy there again?

bower007

Earning My Ears
Currently own Poly, but we're looking to stretch our investment and get more points for more frequent trips. For those who already own at SSR, would you buy here again if you could do it all over? We understand it's proximity to the parks and that the only transportation option is bus, which we're fine with. Our kids are getting older, with 2 of the 3 now out of HS. We discussed this purchase with them as well, since they still plan on going on future trips, and one day they can take their own families. My wife and I do like "adult only" trips as well, not every vacation at Disney involves taking the whole family. I've read through some other SSR related threads here, and the consensus seems to indicate it's very laid back and quiet, again we're good with that.

So honestly, before we sign the paperwork and buy, what's everyone's opinions? Thanks for your input.

We love SSR and would definitely buy there again. The resort itself is laid back and beautiful but just a short walk or boat ride from Disney Springs - a big plus for us. Enjoy sitting on the balcony and watching the boats / amphicars sail by when we stay in Congress Park! Can't comment on bus service as we come by car-parking has never been an issue.

If I had a do over, I wouldn't buy there again. After staying other resorts. I really like the inside hallways, walking to parks (I realized that's only a few resorts) , and seeing fireworks from resort. When we bought in, Disney springs was totally different. A year later , it went to all shopping. Shopping is not a big draw to us. Also we don't drive at disney, so that is a big issue too.

When we saw it, we were used to staying at value resorts. So SSR seemed wonderful. Now, we are old and spoiled.

Right now, outside hallways sound like a better idea than sharing recirculated inside air with others.
So far, I don’t regret my SSR points, we like variety and have been able to stay everywhere. With the above average dues increases the past few years, they aren’t the big bargain they used to be.

Absolutely, we own at SSR and BWV and we just signed a contract for another 90 points at SSR the other day that just went to rofr. We love it there even if a lot of others don't. We love BWV and SSR for different reasons. We love Saratoga for its peacefulness and closeness to Disney Springs and also because it is a beautiful resort. That's our thoughts anyway😊 Good luck on your decision!

I enjoy staying at SSR, but I have never used the 11 month window to book there. So, we have the points as extra points, sleep around points they are referred to here. Sure, I would buy there again.

My wife and I “own” SSR, BWV and BLT. When we take our children and grandchildren we generally stay at BLT. When my wife and I want to have a couples only vacation SSR is our resort of choice. Great resort to walk around and the close proximity to is a huge plus.

I bought 500 SSR points in 2017 to capitalize on the cost and to use at 7 months to trade out if I could.

I do not regret it at all, We have stayed a few times and enjoyed those. As you mention, buses are a drawback, so we simply used Uber to take us to the parks in the morning. It was worth the extra $10 a day to do that.

I love the relaxed feeling, the spa, and the easy walk to DS for drinks and meals. Great for adult onlys!

100% with the refurb. But I also bought lots of cheap points there for 1 beds and generally can stay all over. We like Boardwalk- just got a Standard view 1 bed for just before Xmas.
We are big walkers and runners and SSR is ideal for that with the canal as well as the grounds and Springs.
The only thing I didn’t like were the rooms (sorted with refurb) and it could do with Turf Club and the bar there (hole in wall) totally refurbishing into a destination bar and restaurant.

Valid point but I find it's harder and harder to trade at 7 months.

I have been fortunate that the times I wanted to trade out, I have been able to do so. It did take waitlists and some stalking but I have had great luck,

Of course, I have RIV for Food and Wine/Flower and Garden , and will have BLT For December and May..once I finish the sale of BWV and close on that..for other trips. So, my SSR is really for winter and August!

I have been fortunate that the times I wanted to trade out, I have been able to do so. It did take waitlists and some stalking but I have had great luck,

Of course, I have RIV for Food and Wine/Flower and Garden , and will have BLT For December and May..once I finish the sale of BWV and close on that..for other trips. So, my SSR is really for winter and August!

Well it sounds like you have a few more points than we....100 at BLT, 200 at SSR. On the other hand, our bill for the dues is high enough. Don't envy you on that.

Valid point but I find it's harder and harder to trade at 7 months.

You are talking studios, no issues with one beds. Even just before Xmas this year with all the cancelled bookings I could have booked a week (or number of consecutive days in brackets if less than a week) when I booked yesterday 7 months out:

BCV
BWV including standard.
AKV including 5 nights in value.
OKW
BLT (4 nights)
BRV
CCV (6 nights)
VGF (3 nights)
RIV incl standard

And this is busier than usual.

I normally book where I want at 7 months.

You are talking studios, no issues with one beds. Even just before Xmas this year with all the cancelled bookings I could have booked a week (or number of consecutive days in brackets if less than a week) when I booked yesterday 7 months out:

BCV
BWV including standard.
AKV including 5 nights in value.
OKW
BLT (4 nights)
BRV
CCV (6 nights)
VGF (3 nights)
RIV incl standard

And this is busier than usual.

I normally book where I want at 7 months.

Yes, another valid point. I am talking studios for the most part. With the family, we do the bigger villas of course, but we also needed to rent some points . Just for us, we always did studios. The trip we had to cancelled, we were splurging big time with one bedroom club at AKL.

Absolutely, we own at SSR and BWV and we just signed a contract for another 90 points at SSR the other day that just went to rofr. We love it there even if a lot of others don't. We love BWV and SSR for different reasons. We love Saratoga for its peacefulness and closeness to Disney Springs and also because it is a beautiful resort. That's our thoughts anyway😊 Good luck on your decision!
We are almost a total ditto on this! Our first purchase was BWV and we added on a couple smaller SSR contracts a few years later. As a family, we are actually enjoying SSR more in the last few years than BWV. And we are even thinking about adding a few more points for SSR!

Yes, I'd definitely buy there again. We bought there, AKL, and BWV. Of the three, it's my least favorite, but I enjoy it more than some other resorts we have stayed at (BLT and OKW). It's not everyone's cup of tea, but we enjoy it a lot and the value can't be beat. And, as you said, you can typically use those points elsewhere if you are willing to be flexible on dates and split stays.

The thing about SSR is you don't need to own SSR points to stay there, unless it's really important to you to get one of the preferred/near DS rooms or a Treehouse during a peak time. Whereas if you want AKV value, BLT standard, or BCV almost any time of the year, you need to own there so you can book early. (especially if you want a studio) If the points are cheaper, you aren't going at peak times, and/or you don't have your heart set on staying near Epcot or MK then by all means SSR is a great place to own. It's just that owning points there doesn't get you an advantage for any hard-to-get resorts.

(we own 150 points at SSR and did build up points for a New Years stay in a Treehouse a couple years ago)

Bruce

We definitely would. Proximity to DS and golf is great. While it's true that you don't need to own there to stay there at almost any time, the per point value for resale can't be beat IMHO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts