Looking to buy at SSR; would existing owners buy there again?

We definitely would buy there again. We have two contracts. We have owned for 15 years buying in at $87/pp. We have stayed everywhere we want on our cheap points. The only time we have had trouble getting into other resorts was about 10 years ago, and RIV last year. We must be lucky with our timeframe and wanting 2 bd units. We usually stay at VGF or OKW, but will be trying SSR out again because the rehab looks great.

Our son stayed there for spring break and wants to go back with his Air Force buddies next year. And now with the extra murphy bed it will help with sleeping arrangements. Being able to walk back from DS is the draw for them.

We like to rent a car, so being able to park right in front of the building is very convenient. I like outside hallways, you open the door and you're in the Florida warmth.

Before you buy, I would suggest checking out the other resorts to be sure you like the vibe. They are all so different.

Currently own Poly, but we're looking to stretch our investment and get more points for more frequent trips. For those who already own at SSR, would you buy here again if you could do it all over? We understand it's proximity to the parks and that the only transportation option is bus, which we're fine with. Our kids are getting older, with 2 of the 3 now out of HS. We discussed this purchase with them as well, since they still plan on going on future trips, and one day they can take their own families. My wife and I do like "adult only" trips as well, not every vacation at Disney involves taking the whole family. I've read through some other SSR related threads here, and the consensus seems to indicate it's very laid back and quiet, again we're good with that.

So honestly, before we sign the paperwork and buy, what's everyone's opinions? Thanks for your input.
100% added on while there in February never stayed anywhere else since 2004 at least 2trips from UK each year

While I don't mind staying at SSR, I prefer resorts that I can walk to a park from. I bought SSR because of the price and back then it was much easier to move around at 7 months. If I was buying today, I would make sure I first owned at resorts that I really wanted to stay at and could book at 11 months.

As we are currently looking to add on another resale contract at the end of this year, I can say we are happy we bought at SSR but will likely add on to our AKV contract. I love the grounds, love the rooms (especially the newest refurbished rooms). However we really dislike the shopping and quickservice/sitdown options. We also like to travel with family or friends and don't find SSR has a "wow" factor to it and is more underwhelming. For some people this is probably the charm of the quiet resort.

We wouldn’t. We purchased a contract at SSR in 2007, along with contracts at BWV and BCV. We still own the BWV and BCV - we sold the SSR contract within 2 years. SSR just wasn’t for us. If we are at Disney, we want to be able to walk or boat to a park. We despise riding the buses.

We wouldn’t. We purchased a contract at SSR in 2007, along with contracts at BWV and BCV. We still own the BWV and BCV - we sold the SSR contract within 2 years. SSR just wasn’t for us. If we are at Disney, we want to be able to walk or boat to a park. We despise riding the buses. For people who shop, Disney Springs is by far better than all parks and resorts combined. You can only walk or boat there from 2 DVC resorts, OKW and SSR. SSR is what it is, the largest, by far, DVC resort. The refurbished rooms look amazing.
How do you go to the MK and AK? Take an Uber, mini van? There is no one resort that you can walk, boat or float through the air to get to all theme parks. That leaves buses. Yes at BWV and BCV you can walk, boat or fly through the air to get to 2 parks. There are only as of right now 3 DVC resorts that can walk to a theme park. Once the GF walkway is finished that will add 2 more to the list. 6 that can boat to at least one theme park. Epcot is really close and HS is not that much further away. MK ride isn’t to bad. The longest is AK. I’ll gladly stay at SSR over certain room locations at other resorts, like the dumpster views at VWL, or the sidewalk view right outside the side entrance at VGF.

Yes.

We own at SSR absolutely love it, but in this phase of life with small kids (3 & 5) we prefer to stay closer to a park when possible and usually switch at 7 months. In a few years when they’re a little older, we will start staying at SSR regularly again.

I love the ambience, how relaxed and serene it is but close to the action at Disney Springs.

SSR is one of our favorite resorts!!! We would much prefer staying there (or BWV) than any of the other resorts, including BCV which we also own at.

The thing about SSR is you don't need to own SSR points to stay there, unless it's really important to you to get one of the preferred/near DS rooms or a Treehouse during a peak time. Whereas if you want AKV value, BLT standard, or BCV almost any time of the year, you need to own there so you can book early. (especially if you want a studio) If the points are cheaper, you aren't going at peak times, and/or you don't have your heart set on staying near Epcot or MK then by all means SSR is a great place to own. It's just that owning points there doesn't get you an advantage for any hard-to-get resorts.

(we own 150 points at SSR and did build up points for a New Years stay in a Treehouse a couple years ago)

Bruce

Again you don’t need to own BCV to stay there in 1 beds, in 1 beds it’s normally available. AKV Value is also often available in 1 beds. BLT standard is a toughie, I’ll give you that one.

We wouldn’t. We purchased a contract at SSR in 2007, along with contracts at BWV and BCV. We still own the BWV and BCV - we sold the SSR contract within 2 years. SSR just wasn’t for us. If we are at Disney, we want to be able to walk or boat to a park. We despise riding the buses.
Ironically the worst bus service I have had is BWV to MK, took a long time calling at Dolphin. BWV is my favourite resort though, but I can always get my 1 beds, often standard, at 7 months with my SSR points. Staying standard BWV just before Xmas.

I also own Poly and added on SSR. I've never even been to SSR.

I bought a very large SSR contract intended as sleep around points. My goal is what everyone else considers being stuck with, the more expensive availability at 7 month. I don't travel at spring break or Christmas, so there's always something available.

If you're trying to stretch your points, relying on 7 month availability can burn you. You know how tough studios can be to book. But if you are OK with SSR, then SSR is the way to go. Maybe not the next year or two, but long term.

I also think there's a good argument that Poly is the best way to stretch points. All studios, easy availability for 11 mo, high rental demand. Poly contracts are really feeling the heat right now, and have so much more time left on the deed. Poly is the current winner on that other site's "Best Economical DVC" rating right now.

We enjoy SSR. It was our first contract, and within a year, we added more points. The resort is beautiful. The short walk to Disney Springs is a plus for us - love the shopping, restaurants, and entertainment.

We bought SSR resale strictly for point value/maintenance fees in 2013. We have never stayed there, preferring other resorts which we have had no problem booking at 7 months by stalking and waitlist. We have come to realize that our heart belongs to BCV which is increasingly difficult to book at 7 months, so we bought there in 2018 to be able to book at 11 months. We will keep SSR for the Blue DVC membership card; the excess points come in handy when friends and family want to stay on property for their vacation.

Thank you all for the input. If anyone else has comments or stories to share, we'd love to hear them. I don't ever get tired of talking about WDW. :)

Absolutely.. we own 3 contracts there. We can't beat it... as we have gotten older and the kids have too, we find less time in parks, more spent in spas, golfing, and disney springs area. we have also never had an issue getting GF, Bay Lake, AK Villas when needed/wanted. Even gotten several rooms at BRV during Christmas.

Based on the feedback and conversations between my wife and kids, we decided to pull the trigger and buy SSR. We found a contract we were comfortable with, made an offer and it was accepted. We're going through the purchase process now. Again, thanks to all for their comments and stories, good and bad. Keep them coming if you want to share; I'm listening.

If anyone in your party is a golfer, SSR is great because it's right on the golf course. I enjoy staying at SSR for a couple of days, but not the entire trip due to having to take buses to all of the parks (we own at BWV and BLT, so we are spoiled with walking to parks). SSR is so relaxing and I love the close proximity to DS. I really like the variety of the dining options at DS. The current refurb looks really nice to, so that will be a nice bonus. :)

Congrats on the purchase!

Based on the feedback and conversations between my wife and kids, we decided to pull the trigger and buy SSR. We found a contract we were comfortable with, made an offer and it was accepted. We're going through the purchase process now. Again, thanks to all for their comments and stories, good and bad. Keep them coming if you want to share; I'm listening.
Congrats neighbor! Hope the ROFR goes smoothly!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter