Los Angeles hotels

disny_luvr

DIS Veteran
Hi! I’m getting things in order for our trip to CA next summer. I have our hotels figured out in SF, SD, and Disneyland, but I’m stuck with figuring out where to stay in LA. I kind of have it narrowed down to these:

The Garland
InterContinental
Loew’s Hollywood
Le Parc at Melrose
Montrose

I think I want to stay in West Hollywood, but I like the InterContinental and Loew’s hotels more. What worries me about these two hotels though are the reports I keep reading about the homelessness and how downtown LA is not a nice area to be in. I like the Garland, too, and it’s the cheapest price, but I feel like I’m too away from things staying there. Being that I’ve never been to LA I just don’t know. I’ve put each of these hotel addresses into Google Maps and then typed in the places we want to visit to try to figure out time and distance from these hotels to different places. For reference we liked to see/do:

Chinese Theater
Walk of Fame
Hollywood sign
Griffith Observatory
The Grove/Farmer’s Market
Santa Monica Pier
Dodgers game
WB Studio Tour (we are still undecided on this)

I guess I’m looking for any insight or thoughts about any of these hotels. Do any make more sense than others with what we want to do? Any first hand experience you can share on any of these hotels? I hate to ask it because I’ve spent so much time researching, but are there hotels I’m overlooking?

For reference we will have a car, but aren’t opposed to using public transportation.

If you’re still reading my long post, thank you for any help.

I'd map the spots that interest you and then stay as close to the center of that area as possible.

From your spots, it looks like Hollywood is most central; Santa Monica and Downtown (Dodger Stadium) are pretty far from that area, so I wouldn't consider staying near those spots.

I'd recommend the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel. It's classic Hollywood and drips with history. It's the hotel that the Hollywood Tower [of Terror] Hotel is based on, so there's that too.

We stayed at the Garland a few weeks ago and loved it. It was clean, reasonably priced, and centrally located to what we wanted to do. The staff was super friendly and helpful. I would stay there again.

We also had a car and used it to hit the Griffith (super close) and to drive through Hollywood just to see the sights without getting out. lol. We used the hotel shuttle to get to Universal. It ran like clockwork. The Garland had an on-site restaurant that was also reasonably priced, and we loved that we could order and eat by the pool. There’s also a shopping center in walking distance with a starbucks and supermarket.

I'd map the spots that interest you and then stay as close to the center of that area as possible.

From your spots, it looks like Hollywood is most central; Santa Monica and Downtown (Dodger Stadium) are pretty far from that area, so I wouldn't consider staying near those spots.

I'd recommend the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel. It's classic Hollywood and drips with history. It's the hotel that the Hollywood Tower [of Terror] Hotel is based on, so there's that too.

Thank you for the suggestion. I just looked and the Roosevelt Hotel hasn’t released dates for next summer yet, so I will keep checking. It looks like a really nice hotel.

We stayed at the Garland a few weeks ago and loved it. It was clean, reasonably priced, and centrally located to what we wanted to do. The staff was super friendly and helpful. I would stay there again.

We also had a car and used it to hit the Griffith (super close) and to drive through Hollywood just to see the sights without getting out. lol. We used the hotel shuttle to get to Universal. It ran like clockwork. The Garland had an on-site restaurant that was also reasonably priced, and we loved that we could order and eat by the pool. There’s also a shopping center in walking distance with a starbucks and supermarket.

I think the Garland looks so cute and you really can’t beat the price, I’m just worried about the location. Do you remember how much it was to park a car? I can’t find it anywhere on the website.

From that list, Loews would be my pick. Many love the Garland but tend to be doing Universal and/or Hollywood only, it’s not a good base to explore the rest of LA from. Scrap downtown (Intercontinental) as it’s a pretty dull area for a tourist and the 2 in West Hollywood are good if you like a bit of nightlife and are a bit more central.
Also consider the Beverly Grove area, it’s about as central as it’s possible to get in LA. Sofitel, Beverly Laurel Motor Hotel, Short Stories and Palihouse are all excellent options. Close to the farmers market, shopping, La Brea Tarpits and some great dining options along W 3rd St. Nice walkable area as well. Hollywood can get a bit gritty at night although it’s usually busy so quite safe.

I think the Garland looks so cute and you really can’t beat the price, I’m just worried about the location. Do you remember how much it was to park a car? I can’t find it anywhere on the website.

It was $30 per day. In terms of location, it was 5-10 min from Universal and 10-15 minutes from where people start to drive up the hill to the observatory and accompanying trails. Side note for the Griffith Observatory, if you can swing it, go early and not on a weekend. The crowds were insane. We went on a Sunday while taking an midday break from Universal. We were originally planning to go on a Monday but then discovered it's closed on Mondays.

Did you by any chance do early access for SNW at Universal and, if so, did the shuttle start running in enough time to get there?

Did you by any chance do early access for SNW at Universal and, if so, did the shuttle start running in enough time to get there?
We did do early access. It’s a must-do in my opinion. The Garland shuttle didn’t start running until until 7, which is when early access also started on the day we were there, so we took a lyft from the garland at 6. It was less than $10.

If you’re doing early access you’ll want to arrive 45 min to an hour before it even starts. They started walking us down to the escalators around 6:40 and we were on the Mario Kart ride before 7:00. This was on a Sunday in the summer, so your mileage may vary. We used the Garland shuttle back to the hotel and then to and from Universal later than afternoon/evening. Again, it ran like clockwork and the drivers were very friendly.

We did do early access. It’s a must-do in my opinion. The Garland shuttle didn’t start running until until 7, which is when early access also started on the day we were there, so we took a lyft from the garland at 6. It was less than $10.

If you’re doing early access you’ll want to arrive 45 min to an hour before it even starts. They started walking us down to the escalators around 6:40 and we were on the Mario Kart ride before 7:00. This was on a Sunday in the summer, so your mileage may vary. We used the Garland shuttle back to the hotel and then to and from Universal later than afternoon/evening. Again, it ran like clockwork and the drivers were very friendly.
Thank you! This is super helpful info!

Have you looked into staying in Pasadena? That is MUCH nicer and you can take the Gold Line in to a lot of the things on your list. The Metro trains in LA have had some issues especially lately. The Gold Line and the Red Line are still pretty good. I would not consider taking the Green Line or Blue line outside of regular business hours, and even then it would be an adventure.

Have you looked into staying in Pasadena? That is MUCH nicer and you can take the Gold Line in to a lot of the things on your list. The Metro trains in LA have had some issues especially lately. The Gold Line and the Red Line are still pretty good. I would not consider taking the Green Line or Blue line outside of regular business hours, and even then it would be an adventure.
I did not. How far away is Pasadena from the things we want to do?

Far. I think it'd be a pain to commute back and forth.

Pasadena is beautiful, but it's not where you want to be.
I live in Pasadena and went to the Universal area last night for dinner. It took us 20 minutes to get there!

I live in Pasadena and went to the Universal area last night for dinner. It took us 20 minutes to get there!
I'm sure you did. But why stay in Pasadena if you're not doing anything in Pasadena?

I agree with the others, do not stay downtown. Too far from the things you want to do. LA traffic isn’t a joke and it can fluctuate widely from day to day.

I’ve stayed at LeParc and it’s a lovely all-suites hotel but WeHo may also not be that convenient. Freeway access is not as close as it is in other neighborhoods so you are at the mercy of street traffic (which can be faster but also can be very congested, especially Santa Monica Blvd and Sunset Blvd through WeHo). It’s the most convenient for the Grove/Farmers Market.

I’m also going to caution against staying in Hollywood and especially staying on Hollywood Blvd. It’s loud, very congested, and while I have no qualms walking around especially with companions, it can trend unsavory with a lot of shills for tour companies and people in off brand costumes wanting money for photos trying to get your attention. Also, if you are there during the summer blockbuster film season, the boulevard can be closed down for premieres. A fun place to experience, but I wouldn’t want to stay in the thick of it. The one benefit is you aren’t far from the 101 and it’s an easy-ish hop to Universal and Warner Bros. It’s also not far to Griffith Park. There isn’t really a Hollywood sign tourist attraction; you can easily see it from the 10 freeway and side streets, and also from the Observatory. If you do try to follow instructions to the sign, please be mindful you can’t drive to the sign and it requires a moderately rigorous hike to get somewhat close, and you are in a residential neighborhood that can have narrow winding streets and parking is generally restricted (I used to live nearby!).

The Garland is more suburban with not a lot around it but it has a good restaurant that locals frequent as well as guests and it is very freeway convenient; it‘s easy (well, depending on traffic!) to get where you want to go. Ventura Blvd is a quick drive for restaurants and shops. If you are planning on using your hotel just to sleep, it might be your best choice. If you want restaurants and shops within walking distance, I’d chose WeHo over Hollywood and definitely over downtown.

Last edited:
I agree with the others, do not stay downtown. Too far from the things you want to do. LA traffic isn’t a joke and it can fluctuate widely from day to day.

I’ve stayed at LeParc and it’s a lovely all-suites hotel but WeHo may also not be that convenient. Freeway access is not as close as it is in other neighborhoods so you are at the mercy of street traffic (which can be faster but also can be very congested, especially Santa Monica Blvd and Sunset Blvd through WeHo). It’s the most convenient for the Grove/Farmers Market.

I’m also going to caution against staying in Hollywood and especially staying on Hollywood Blvd. It’s loud, very congested, and while I have no qualms walking around especially with companions, it can trend unsavory with a lot of shills for tour companies and people in off brand costumes wanting money for photos trying to get your attention. Also, if you are there during the summer blockbuster film season, the boulevard can be closed down for premieres. A fun place to experience, but I wouldn’t want to stay in the thick of it. The one benefit is you aren’t far from the 101 and it’s an easy-ish hop to Universal and Warner Bros. It’s also not far to Griffith Park. There isn’t really a Hollywood sign tourist attraction; you can easily see it from the 10 freeway and side streets, and also from the Observatory. If you do try to follow instructions to the sign, please be mindful you can’t drive to the sign and it requires a moderately rigorous hike to get somewhat close, and you are in a residential neighborhood that can have narrow winding streets and parking is generally restricted (I used to live nearby!).

The Garland is more suburban with not a lot around it but it has a good restaurant that locals frequent as well as guests and it is very freeway convenient; it‘s easy (well, depending on traffic!) to get where you want to go. Ventura Blvd is a quick drive for restaurants and shops. If you are planning on using your hotel just to sleep, it might be your best choice. If you want restaurants and shops within walking distance, I’d chose WeHo over Hollywood and definitely over downtown.
I've been playing around on Apple Maps with the locations where we are thinking of staying and the places we want to visit just to get an idea of time and distance from one place to another. Nothing seems to be that far away and we are okay with driving. Le Parc gets really good reviews so I'm leaning towards that hotel or the Garland. Either hotel is going to have us driving, but honestly we are going to be driving from anywhere we stay. Since it sounds like you are very familiar with the area, do you have any other recommendations?

I've been playing around on Apple Maps with the locations where we are thinking of staying and the places we want to visit just to get an idea of time and distance from one place to another. Nothing seems to be that far away and we are okay with driving. Le Parc gets really good reviews so I'm leaning towards that hotel or the Garland. Either hotel is going to have us driving, but honestly we are going to be driving from anywhere we stay. Since it sounds like you are very familiar with the area, do you have any other recommendations?
I think you’ve made some great choices based on what you want to do. I personally would chose Le Parc over the Garland, as long as you’re okay with driving and don’t mind street traffic. The Garland is perfectly wonderful, don’t get me wrong, but Le Parc is more ”LA.” Also, WeHo is on the cooler side of “the hill” or the hilly range that divides LA from the San Fernando Valley, which will be appreciated in summer; it’s also further west than the other areas you’re looking at and the closer to the ocean, the more temperate the temperature.

Santa Monica is the other area I might recommend, since you said you were okay with driving and you want to see the Pier, and you‘re visiting in the summer when ocean breezes might be welcome. There are terrific restaurants and shops plus many great hotels - the Loews Santa Monica is quite nice. But the closer you get to the water the more the prices tend to go up, and Santa Monica is great when you are there but driving in and and out of Santa Monica is not great (in LA, it’s not the distance so much as it is the congestion; when you play with map apps, put in the day of the week and the approximate time you think you might be on the road to see driving time estimates).

Last edited:
The Loews Hollywood and Roosevelt Hotels are right near the TCL Theater and Walk of Fame, which while they are two of the sites you mentioned, the area is kind of like Times Square with tourist shops and people giving you their mixtapes. Not a bad second choice.

Le Parc and Montrose are in higher end areas with better food options, and are a bit closer to the Grove/Farmer’s Market and Santa Monica Pier. This is where I would stay if prices were all similar.

I would avoid staying downtown. The Intercontinental looks nice, but there isn't much else to do there.

Since the Garland is north of the hills, it will feel quieter and a bit isolated from the rest of Hollywood. This could be good or bad for you.

I think you’ve made some great choices based on what you want to do. I personally would chose Le Parc over the Garland, as long as you’re okay with driving and don’t mind street traffic. The Garland is perfectly wonderful, don’t get me wrong, but Le Parc is more ”LA.” Also, WeHo is on the cooler side of “the hill” or the hilly range that divides LA from the San Fernando Valley, which will be appreciated in summer; it’s also further west than the other areas you’re looking at and the closer to the ocean, the more temperate the temperature.

Santa Monica is the other area I might recommend, since you said you were okay with driving and you want to see the Pier, and you‘re visiting in the summer when ocean breezes might be welcome. There are terrific restaurants and shops plus many great hotels - the Loews Santa Monica is quite nice. But the closer you get to the water the more the prices tend to go up, and Santa Monica is great when you are there but driving in and and out of Santa Monica is not great (in LA, it’s not the distance so much as it is the congestion; when you play with map apps, put in the day of the week and the approximate time you think you might be on the road to see driving time estimates).

I went ahead and booked the Garland today. The only reason is the price. It is about $300 cheaper than Le Parc and the parking is cheaper, too. That said, I'm going to keep my eye on the price for Le Parc. I'm sure it will fluctuate between now and next summer. I can always cancel the Garland if the price drops at Le Parc. If not, I know we'll be happy at the Garland, too. I do agree that Le Parc seems more "LA", but we'll be spending a lot of time in LA with all the places we want to visit, so maybe the Garland will be a nice respite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter