LOS ANGELES

Martin Holder

Earning My Ears
I know its not a Disney thread but we looking to book a hotel for Los Angeles. Not being used to this area we would like to spend a day at Universal, travel to Venice Beach and see the Hollywood sign. We then fly back to the UK. Can anyone recommend where to stay in LA?
thanks.

Im Irish and for us Europeans, LA is huge and what your asking is like someone saying Im coming to London, I want to see Harry Potter Studios, Big Ben and Chessington Theme Park, and then fly from Heathrow lol.

Universal Studios is in North LA, Burbank area, about 1 hours drive from Hollywood. Hollywood is what most European people associate as being LA. Thats where the Walk of Fame is. The Hollywood sign is way up in the mountains but it is visible from many places along Hollywood Boulevard.

Venice Beach is about an hours drive from Hollywood near LAX airport.

It depends on how long you will be in LA. Most people stay in a hotel near Universal to do the theme park. Compared to UK themeparks theres alot more to see and do. Its really a 2 day park but if you plan and know about single rider lines etc you can do it in 1 day. The new Harry Potter Land seems to bringing in higher crowds especially in the morning.

People usually stay near Hollywood to do central LA tourist stuff like Walk of Fame, Madame Tousards, Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive, Melrose Avenue, tours of the movie stars homes etc.

Santa Monica and Venice Beach areas are again a different area.

How long have you got in the LA area? Do you want to stay near the beach and drive almost 2 hours to Universal or do you want to stay in Hollywood area and pay higher hotel rates?

Will you have a car?

BadPinktink is correct that Venice (and Santa Monica, which borders Venice to the North) are a relatively good distance away from Universal. Because much of it is "overland" driving through city streets, it's Google estimates its an hour drive to Venice Beach from Universal. We have a saying in L.A., "it can take 20 minutes or 2 hours, depending on traffic." I've met people who lived in Santa Monica for decades and never once went to Hollywood or Downtown L.A. despite it only being a distance of roughly 15-20 miles. However, you come very close to Venice on the way from Universal City to LAX airport. South of Venice is Marina Del Rey, Playa Del Rey and then LAX/Westchester. If you plan accordingly you can spend time at Venice then proceed to the airport.

BadPinktink is NOT (necessarily) correct that Universal is an hour from Hollywood, Universal City is the next stop up "the 101" (Hollywood Freeway), on the other wide of the Hollywood Hills, maybe 10 minutes from "downtown" Hollywood (caveat: not accounting for traffic, which could make it an hour...or more). This is where the San Fernando Valley starts.

The Hollywood sign can be seen from much of the city south of the Hollywood Hills (most of the city is a flat basin, so the sign lords over a lot of it), you'll most certainly see if it driving or riding to Venice. If you want a better look, there are several good views closer to the hills. You probably can't travel to Universal without spotting it as well. It's possible, and legal, but a hassle to hike to the sign, the locals don't like it since you have to cut through their neighborhoods. The restrictions are always changing.

As to the actual question of hotel, the Hilton and Sheraton are the most popular hotels in the Universal Studios Hollywood area.

@maltdizzy thanks for adding a local point of view :) The distances involved in LA and the driving time is something most Europeans just dont understand until we get there. Ive been visiting LA for 7 years now, and Im just getting used to planning driving and transport times. We usually allow for about an hour driving time between points during the day, ie when we stayed in Santa Monica 1 hour to get get to the Hollywood and Highland parking structure etc etc.

There is a Lowe's hotel on Highland in Hollywood that is right next door to the Hollywood & Highland shopping center (Dolby Theatre -- home of the Oscar ceremony, photo op of the Hollywood sign -- upper level, restaurants, Walk of Fame right out front, Chinese Theatre next door, Disney's El Capitan across the street, etc.). Hop On/Hop Off tour buses leave from right out front (I think one of the tours stops at Santa Monica beach, if that interests you). Universal Studios Hollywood is about 10-15 miinutes away by car or one stop away on the Red Line (from H&H to USH). If you don't stay at the Lowe's, you could stay at the Sheraton Universal or the Universal Hilton right by USH, then use the Red Line to get to H&H. Getting to Venice would require a car, either rental or Uber.

Last edited:
Is this a 1 night hotel before flying? I'd get as close to Universal as you can and start there in the morning. Universal Hilton or Sheraton are closest. Then The Garland, which has a free shuttle or Sportsmen's Lodge, which is a little further, but also has a free shuttle. From the red line station at Universal you could easily get to somewhere that you can see the Hollywood sign if you don't see it driving in. This activity could be done in an hour or 2. For Venice, I'd make that a stop on the way to the airport, unless you actually want to go to the beach, in which case I'd recommend 2 days.

How about the Hilton hotel right across the street from Universal Studios? Central location.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter