Losing points

Jaylie

DIS Veteran
I have 400 points right now but I am unable to use them this year (February Use Year). DVC is letting me bank 200 of them, but I don’t like the idea of losing the other 200. I have a cousin who would like to take a trip in July 2019, and I wondered if I can book that trip for him using the 200 points that are going to expire in February 2019? Thanks. For your help.

I have 400 points right now but I am unable to use them this year (February Use Year). DVC is letting me bank 200 of them, but I don’t like the idea of losing the other 200. I have a cousin who would like to take a trip in July 2019, and I wondered if I can book that trip for him using the 200 points that are going to expire in February 2019? Thanks. For your help.
Sorry no. It sounds like those were 2017 banked to 2018? so they will “pumpkin”. Based on availability you could try to rent them. Best of luck. Oh and if a February UY, they are useable through the end of January.

I have a cousin who would like to take a trip in July 2019, and I wondered if I can book that trip for him using the 200 points that are going to expire in February 2019?
Those points can only be used for a reservation with a check-out date on or before 2/1/2019.

Is it possible to deposit them in RCI? Not sure if the rule of 4 applies to RCI as well or if banked points can be deposited.
Not a great value but at least you can do something with them.

I do not believe the Rule of 4 applies to RCI. I looked it up in the past. But, there are other specific rules that do apply.

If they are DIRECT PURCHASE POINTS, then you can use them, right now, to stay at French Quarter, Caribbean Beach or Coronado Springs. The exchange rate there isn't too bad.

If I had 200 points, I would contact Davids Vacation Rentals AND the other companies, and try to rent them out. There are still a few days available at SSR, in blocks up to 4 days or so, and more isolated points, but very few Studios are left. There are also a few rooms still at Animal Kingdom, for January, but much less than SSR, and Aulani is available with multiple rooms. If I were you, I would go online immediately and book some of those potential rooms that are available. Then try to rent out the confirmed reservations. If David's or someone comes through with a different request, you can always cancel whatever you have reserved, to shift the points to them. I would also post them for rent by myself, on this board or similar boards.

You might need to discount a few dollars off the price but I don't know that, for sure. If they are discounted a few dollars, there are lots of people out there who would be glad to get a bargain.

Whatever you do, get cracking on it NOW. Otherwise, you can say goodbye to 200 points, and, by my estimate, that is worth $2000 to $3000, right now. I had 218 points that I received in AUGUST, with the same expiration date as you, and I was very very worried I wouldn't be able to place them before the end of January. Well, I made 5 different reservations, for anywhere from 1 day to 5 days, and I had them all placed by early October. But I worried. Your options are there, but they are limited.

If they are DIRECT PURCHASE POINTS, then you can use them, right now, to stay at French Quarter, Caribbean Beach or Coronado Springs. The exchange rate there isn't too bad.
Nope. Rule of Four applies in this case and they are already within the last 4 months of their UY.

Nope. Rule of Four applies in this case and they are already within the last 4 months of their UY.
Yep. I said it didn't apply to RCI, and then I forgot about it and didn't even think of it for the rest of my message

Is it possible to deposit them in RCI? Not sure if the rule of 4 applies to RCI as well or if banked points can be deposited.
Not a great value but at least you can do something with them.

There's been some comments recently about having to deposit to RCI at least 45 days prior to the end of the UY but OP is still within that.

OP - I'd consider trying to renting them out. Something might be found for January.

You can deposit at RCI, and then use it to trade into a condominium near Disney World. You would have to rent a car to get around from the condominium. I know that the Wyndham WorldMark Timeshare at Reunion is excellent and the WorldMark Kingston Reef timeshare there in Orlando is also very good.

The Reunion timeshare is top quality, and along with it you get free use of their water park. They normally charge $40 a day for their water park.

You can deposit at RCI, and then use it to trade into a condominium near Disney World. You would have to rent a car to get around from the condominium. I know that the Wyndham WorldMark Timeshare at Reunion is excellent and the WorldMark Kingston Reef timeshare there in Orlando is also very good.

The Reunion timeshare is top quality, and along with it you get free use of their water park. They normally charge $40 a day for their water park.

Isn't there a restriction on Orlando for DVC deposits? Or maybe that was back with II.

So could someone who has a January reservation that was made under 7 months take the points in transfer and then have member services reallocate to use these points instead of there own?????

So could someone who has a January reservation that was made under 7 months take the points in transfer and then have member services reallocate to use these points instead of there own?????
I think so. Certainly they could switch the points, if the points were in their account.

If you Transfer them, the person receiving them MIGHT still be able to Bank them. Look at the following info:

“b)The recipient of Transferred Points has the ability to Bank those points. Technically, they are supposed to retain the original Use Year of the Transferring Club Member, however in practice, this does not seem to always be the case.”
http://www.***********.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125136

There is also this:
ellie;236140 said:
Micah had written here

http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showthread.php?17691-Purchasing-DVC

Also...
It is a little-known secret that you can actually bank transferred points even if they are after the banking deadline. Both of the transfers I did I got for really good deals, because the original owner forgot to bank them, so they sold them very cheap since they were about to expire and be worthless to them. I got one of them for only $6 a point about a week before the points expired, but then I immediately banked them so I was able to have a full year to use them. Shh... don't tell anyone.

and he wrote on *********** here

http://www.***********.com/forums/showthread.php?p=955925#post955925

Two different times I have personally banked points after transferring them, and both times they were past the normal banking window for those points. They were only a few days away from expiring in one case, and was able to bank them since they had just been transferred.

Micah008;236141 said:
Yes, I have done it twice. So has Strangeite.

I was able to get really good deals ($4-$6 a point) on points that were about to expire, and then bank them so I had ~13 months to use them rather than just 1.

I have never seen this as a written policy anywhere, but Member Services has always done it immediately. They did have to put me on hold and get a supervisor each time, but never pushed back or complained about it.

DO be aware that Disney EXPRESSLY FORBIDS YOU TO RECEIVE MONEY FOR TRANSFERED POINTS. However, you then have the option that is listed below:
From above:

"9. Club Members are expressly prohibited from receiving compensation for engaging in any Transfer activity."

"However, regarding item nine, it looks like transferring points for financial consideration is expressly forbidden. "

You need to wade through the legalese to truly understand number 9:

1. It does not prohibit renting when there is no physical transfer of points from one account to another, i.e., you can use your points to make a ressie in another's name.

2. Points are legally deemed to have no intrinsic value but merely represent your actual ownership interest in the the property. Thus, legally you cannot actually give a dollar value to the points.

3. Nevertheless, you can still do a rental via a transfer. All you need to do is agree to rent the property interest represented by the points and then simply agree to complete that rental transcation by transfering points. Thus, legally you have not officially given the points a dollar value but instead the compensation applies to the rental of the property interest. A purpose of the clause is to assure Disney, who actually carries out the transfer of points, cannot be sued for any money based on the value of points transfered if something goes wrong with the rental.

4. Clause 9 and all its predecessors from the beginning of DVC is carefully worded to prohibit compensation for "engaging in any transfer activity." It is designed mainly to prevent someone from setting up a profit making business as a broker for the transfer of points who would be "engaging in transfer activity" for compensation.

Last edited:

I think so. Certainly they could switch the points, if the points were in their account.

If you Transfer them, the person receiving them MIGHT still be able to Bank them. Look at the following info:

“b)The recipient of Transferred Points has the ability to Bank those points. Technically, they are supposed to retain the original Use Year of the Transferring Club Member, however in practice, this does not seem to always be the case.”
http://www.***********.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125136

There is also this:

DO be aware that Disney EXPRESSLY FORBIDS YOU TO RECEIVE MONEY FOR TRANSFERED POINTS. However, you then have the option that is listed below:

It's been years since they didn't retain their UY. However, banked points can't be transferred anyway so it wouldn't be possible to do that.

True. The points apparently have already been Banked once.

And, are you saying that if they WERE eligible for transfer that the recipient could not be able to bank them? If they were banked once, then this is true. They can’t be banked again and they can’t be transferred.

Last edited:
True. Things have already been Banked once.

And, are you saying that if they WERE eligible for transfer that the recipient could not think of them?
They can only be banked one time. That glitch for transferred points would be for points past the banking time. Plus you cannot transfer banked points. You can use them for RCI, make a reservation up to their expiration date or lose them.

If they cancel their current reservation and someone has a waitlist they get it before they rebook with your points. So it's a little tricky. I only know this as I made reservations with my 11mo advance using one of my contracts and at the 7 mo window wanted to change it to my other contract that was going to have points expiring and was told the above info. Renting points might be an option as you may still have some time. Good luck

Isn't there a restriction on Orlando for DVC deposits? Or maybe that was back with II.
Yes, 30 mile radius. Can't trade to Orlando or back to DVC.

I'd try to reserve and rent out short notice, should be able to cover the dues. Then plan what to do with the points this next year so this doesn't happen again ? rental or use personally.

I would talk to Davids IMMEDIATELY. They will try and get you some money for the points. Probably not a ton but at least something.

Looks like there's still some SSR availability Jan 21-25. Between that and single days, here's hoping David's (or wherever) is able to rent them out for you!

Give someone a stay at a bungalow on the cheap...I see some days available

Also there's some one and two bedroom ssr availability in January

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!