Lots of Questions

Dec38

Earning My Ears
I am beginning to sketch out our basic itinerary for our trip to Disney and Universal likely in mid-late August 2019. I’m currently considering a 10 day, 9 night trip. The plan would be to arrive on a Friday evening 8/16, do Universal Saturday and Sunday, then Disney the rest of the week, leaving the following Sunday. I am considering a 1 night stay at Pop Century or other value on Friday 8/16, in order to get the benefit of the Magical Express from the airport, and to start our Fast Pass window, then a 1 night stay at a Universal Resort on Saturday Night, then returning and staying at a Disney resort for the rest of the week (likely Port Orleans French Quarter, unless I can get a really good deal somewhere else). I believe the following is true, but would love some confirmation from those more experienced!

--If I get a 7 day value ticket (good for any 7 days within 10 day period) with a start date of Friday, 8/16, that ticket will be valid for any 7 days to and including Sunday, 8/25?

--If we stay at Pop Century on 8/16, and we have a 7 day value ticket, our FP+ window will open on 8/16 and will last for 10 days, allowing us to book 7 days of fast passes from 8/19 through 8/25?

--If we stay at a Universal resort like Hard Rock on 8/17, we will have express passes for both check in and check out days (8/17 and 8/18)?

Other questions:

--We are going to try to keep costs down on this trip. Below are the splurges (meals, etc.) I’m considering. Do you think these splurges make sense, any you would cut, or are there others you think we should substitute in as more worthwhile for the cost? If you had $1000 to spend on any combination of table service meals/ticketed or special events/dining packages) for 2 adults and 2 kids, what would you choose? (counter service meals/snacks accounted for separately and not included in that $1000). It seems there are a ton of new ticketed events these days, that I’m largely planning to avoid, but some are tempting!

--Hoop De Doo Revue (we all loved this show when we were there 3 years ago)
--Early Morning Magic (Hollywood Studios)
--Garden Grill Breakfast (PPO)
--Be Our Guest Breakfast (PPO)
--Fantasmic dining package
(I’m most on the fence about the last two, and would consider cutting them and instead doing EMM at the Magic Kingdom one day -- thoughts?)

--Would folks recommend we take more advantage of EMH rather than use PPO breakfasts or the paid EMM? (My thinking was I’d rather be in an air conditioned restaurant having a relaxing breakfast during the hour before park opening rather than arriving one hour before rope drop (to be able to best take advantage of rope drop) and waiting in line in the hot August sun. But we’ve never done EMH so I’d love to be convinced otherwise, as it would save us a lot of money!

--Since we are going in August when it will be hotter than the sun, we expect to take afternoon breaks to nap and/or swim. (kids are 9 & 7) Does the following schedule look reasonable? Would you allocate days differently? (note that I’ve intentionally tried to avoid EMH other than on our Animal Kingdom day, everything would change if we decided to do EMH)

8/16: arrive in evening
8/17: Uber to Universal in am, drop bags at Universal Hard Rock, walk to Universal; return to swim and check in in the afternoon; back to park for the evening.
8/18: Early access to Harry Potter, Universal until after dinner; then Uber to Port Orleans French Quarter
8/19: MK, BOG PPO breakfast, plan on long afternoon break at hotel and return for HEA (late night)
8/20: Rest Day, Hoop De Doo 4 or 6:15 pm show. (might go to a park (Epcot? Animal Kingdom?) just to use 3 fast passes) (early to bed)
8/21: Hollywood Studios, Early Morning Magic; return for Fantasmic (late night)
8/22: rope drop MK; (earlier night)
8/23: Epcot; Garden Grill PPO breakfast; (earlier night)
8/24: Animal Kingdom, morning EMH (goal will be FOP and Navi during EMH hours, and to also have a fast pass for FOP later)
8/25: Half day at park of kids choosing; return home PM

Universal Hard Rock Hotel - yes, you get Universal Express and early admission for all days on your reservation, assuming you also have tickets for those days. It will all be linked to your room key.

I always recommend staying on-site at Disney and Universal if at all possible. The perks and convenience are game changers.

1) Yes
2) You can book FP's any 7 days between 8/16-8/25. You can actually book FP's for all 10 days and decide which 7 days to go later.

I think BF at BOG is way overpriced but that’s me. Josh at easywdw has great reviews for the paid early morning hours paid events. If time is a commodity it might be worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!