Love it, Like it, or Thumbs down to HARD Shell Luggage

I love hard shell. Clothes and things are better organised in the compartments and better protected by the shell.

Downside is the outer shell isn't as durable but I'd never go back to soft shell now.

I've had 2 wheeled bags for years. The wheels are typically somewhat recessed and 'protected'. With the 4 wheel spinner bags, the wheels look so exposed and subject to damage and/or getting caught up in the overhead with a carry-on. Any thoughts on those concerns?

I've had 2 wheeled bags for years. The wheels are typically somewhat recessed and 'protected'. With the 4 wheel spinner bags, the wheels look so exposed and subject to damage and/or getting caught up in the overhead with a carry-on. Any thoughts on those concerns?
I use the spinners and as I said in my past post, that is more important to me then the cloth or hard sided. Being able to move them with a couple of fingers is invaluable. Kids can even move them easily. Never had an issue with the wheels breaking. I only have big bags that I check, my carry on is a backpack.

We've had wheels break on spinners. Others spinners have held up fine (numerous trips, used on cobblestones/brick, etc). Not all suitcases have the same wheel design, so some are better than others.

I haven't bought a suitcase in... wait a minute. I've never bought one. My bags used to be my parents. Mine are soft side and lasted quite a long time. The drawback is they have those dinky wheels on them so they may as well not be wheeled at all.

I've had a 4 wheel spinner set for over 7 years and it has been used heavily. The wheels are fine. Kenneth Cole brand.

I use the spinners and as I said in my past post, that is more important to me then the cloth or hard sided. Being able to move them with a couple of fingers is invaluable. Kids can even move them easily. Never had an issue with the wheels breaking. I only have big bags that I check, my carry on is a backpack.
We've had wheels break on spinners. Others spinners have held up fine (numerous trips, used on cobblestones/brick, etc). Not all suitcases have the same wheel design, so some are better than others.
I've had a 4 wheel spinner set for over 7 years and it has been used heavily. The wheels are fine. Kenneth Cole brand.
Thank you for your thoughts and feedback, much appreciated. Any others?

The durability of wheels is a quality issue; some brands will have strong wheel mounts, and some won't.

... And on that note, here is some information about what to do if you pick up a checked bag and discover it is damaged.

CHECK FOR DAMAGE BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE AIRPORT!!
You should report the damage and file your claim before you leave the airport. Airlines are notorious for dodging damage claims if there is any possibility that the damage might have been caused after the piece left their hands. Don't give them an opening.

Here is an article that explains the claim process: https://www.tripsavvy.com/air-travel-and-damaged-baggage-2972583

I'm looking to get some hard side from kohl's - 50% off sale going on right now on luggage with 30% off coupon with kohl's card. Wondered if anyone has bought a hard side from kohl's and what brand did you buy? Is the luggage at kohl's not real - just made for kohl's or is it authentic? I looked up the kohl's samsonite and american tourister ones on samsonite/AT website and they weren't found on there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!