Love the Boardwalk, but...

intertile

DIS Veteran
This is our first trip to BWV. Currently own at SSR(impulse buy due to pixie dust in eyes) and at VGF(our favorite resort). The BWV rooms are not as nicely adorned as VGF, but truthfully we spend very little time in the room that it really doesn't matter...and truthfully they are very nice. The location is amazing...we love the whole boardwalk vibe and walking to either DHS or Epcot. Which brings me to my conundrum. Resale prices are around $120/point I believe, but with only 23, i think, years left is it worth it? We were able to switch into this resort at 7 months for July 1st, but we normally travel to wdw on Thanksgiving break...how difficult is a 1 bedroom been to get at boardwalk at 7 months?
I really wish Disney had a clear plan as to how to handle the expiring resorts. Decisions, decisions...( first world problems I know)

It is very busy during Food and Wine and Christmas time. From what i've seen, a 1 bedroom tends to be easier to get then the studios. Many times of the year Boardwalk is difficult tog et at 7 months, like many of the resorts now. Not sure about Thanksgiving as I've never looked at that time frame.

At Thanksgiving, you have almost a 0% chance to get what you want at a non-home resort (Even SSR this year was slim pickings at 7 months out from Thanksgiving). It's not absolutely 0% because you could probably luck into it with some serious stalking, but it would be some great luck.

A lot of board members who have had vast experience with timeshares have made the point that most people don’t hold onto their timeshares for longer than 10 years. Even with the cult following and sustained value of DVC, most owners tire of the mouse, crowds, nickel and diming, in that time and bounce.

I did a chart with cost over time at one point and when I added in my wife’s and my age over the life of the contract, as well as my son’s age, it felt silly that I was worrying about x years vs y years. Who knows where we’ll be in 24 years? If you get 24 great trips to Boardwalk when you want it, that should be worth something. Plus, more likely than not, over those last 24 years, Disney will end up opening another resort that you’ll have to own at, and you’ll need to reset that clock to 50.

Because the studios at BWV book up so fast, people are booking 1BRs a bit more. For a lot of fall, the 1BR is gone at 7 months, not just the studios. It and BCV are outliers compared to other 1BRs in that regard.

This is our first trip to BWV. Currently own at SSR(impulse buy due to pixie dust in eyes) and at VGF(our favorite resort). The BWV rooms are not as nicely adorned as VGF, but truthfully we spend very little time in the room that it really doesn't matter...and truthfully they are very nice. The location is amazing...we love the whole boardwalk vibe and walking to either DHS or Epcot. Which brings me to my conundrum. Resale prices are around $120/point I believe, but with only 23, i think, years left is it worth it? We were able to switch into this resort at 7 months for July 1st, but we normally travel to wdw on Thanksgiving break...how difficult is a 1 bedroom been to get at boardwalk at 7 months?
I really wish Disney had a clear plan as to how to handle the expiring resorts. Decisions, decisions...( first world problems I know)

I couldn’t get a standard 1-bedroom for one day weeknight in October and had to do a bit of stalking to snag it. I had an alert and everything. I couldn’t put a WL on it because I already had 2 going. Long story short, it took a few months, and I got the one night. I haven’t seen it become available again since then. The P/G view 1-bedroom was available for a bit, but even that went away. Best to buy there if you’d like to stay there during busier times.

BWV is an older resort, and the rooms aren't as shiny and new as some of the more recently built DVC. But you cannot dispute the location. Especially with star wars opening up. I believe Disney didn't look into their Disney crystal ball when they set the point structure for this resort. Those standard view rooms are the best bargain on property. I have to think its killing them to wait out those 24 years of contract life left. It's not often this happens but...we win!

Last time we stayed in a Studio at BWV the room it self was just as nice as VGF. The bathroom however was in need of some upkeep.

I haven’t stayed in a 1br at VGF but the 1br at BWV are very nice.

BWV is an older resort, and the rooms aren't as shiny and new as some of the more recently built DVC. But you cannot dispute the location. Especially with star wars opening up. I believe Disney didn't look into their Disney crystal ball when they set the point structure for this resort. Those standard view rooms are the best bargain on property. I have to think its killing them to wait out those 24 years of contract life left. It's not often this happens but...we win!
Makes you wonder how much they will up the point requirements when those 24 years are up. You are right, I bet it is killing them now.

Makes you wonder how much they will up the point requirements when those 24 years are up. You are right, I bet it is killing them now.

So what happens after the next 24 years are up. Does everything go back to the beginning and DVC starts back up again there?

So what happens after the next 24 years are up. Does everything go back to the beginning and DVC starts back up again there?
There's a lot of speculation. A lot of owners think that DVD will renovate the villas and then sell them with an adjusted points chart that is more reflective of other near-park resorts. I doubt that DVD will offer any kind of extensions given the OKW debacle. Of course, if there is another recession as we near the end of those contracts, anything is possible.

Last time we stayed in a Studio at BWV the room it self was just as nice as VGF. The bathroom however was in need of some upkeep.

I haven’t stayed in a 1br at VGF but the 1br at BWV are very nice.
We bought in for the 1bedrooms, and always book them. The GF is nicer, but it really is nitpicking. The furniture, bathroom, and kitchens are better at gf, but ironically we found the mattress better at BWV.
I've already emailed dvcstore and am placing my SSR points up for sale. Also found a bwv contract that works for us so, we now start the switch. Hopefully I'll be alternating between GFV and BWV for the next 24 years.

Depending on the resort they may tear the building down and rebuild, increase the size, change the room configurations, bring the place up to current code with current HVAC and lighting.

:earsboy: Bill

I prefer the epcot 3 over the GF, due to location. It is just better walking to Epcot, boating to hollywood studios and having Jelly rolls. Also closer to disney springs. Not a fan of the Monorail hotels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter