Lunatic Mid-Life Ravings of a Potential Disney Addict

piperdown

Mouseketeer
Thought I’d give this PTR thing a try.

I'm new to the boards, and new to Disney. This trip is 20 years in the making. I desperately wanted to go to Disney for my honeymoon (17 years ago), but alas, DH and I were poor college kids.

This will be my third trip to WDW, but the first trip for DH and DD. Back in '84 I had the opportunity to visit both WDW and DL in the same summer. Our family drove from Texas to California, back to Texas long enough to wash clothes and re-pack, and off to Florida we went.

My second trip was my junior year in high school. Our high school band marched in the Electrical Light Parade. It was a blast!!

Here we are 20+ years later, and I'm finally going on my dream trip.

When:
Jul 26 - Aug 3
9-day tickets w/ park hopper and WPF&M

Where:
Wilderness Lodge

Who:
DSCF0552.jpg

Me - A bean counter for a state university in the great state of Texas
DH - A long-haired hippie and middle school science teacher

DSCF0019.jpg

DD, age 12 - Full of drama and humor; there isn't enough time or space to list all her wonderful attributes.

We're making the cross-country road trip with nightly pit stops in New Orleans and Jacksonville. Looking forward to introducing DD to beignets at Cafe du Monde. Jacksonville is not on the direct route, but not knowing when we'll make it back to FL, we're taking the scenic route via the Florida A1A.

A little background on this trip...
Very high on DH's bucket list is to see a shuttle launch. It's probably #1 on the list. There was a shuttle launch scheduled in March that timed perfectly with spring break. AWESOME, we'll go see the launch, and maybe spend a few days at Disney. But NOOOOOO, NASA delayed the launch until April, so that plan was shot. But wait....there is another launch scheduled for late July...w00t!! The planning begins, and long dormant desires came to the surface. One of the major reasons I've delayed the trek to Disney is that I always wanted to do it the "right way". Both times I've been before, we stayed off-site. Nothing wrong with that, but I wanted the MAGIC!! I wanted total immersion. Every few years, I would price my dream vacation, but it was always out of our financial reach. I put Disney on the back burner. It became a "one of these days" event. Back to the shuttle launch and the initial planning. My plans began small; we'll drive out to Florida, stay at a cheap hotel, watch the launch, explore the surrounding area, and spend a few days at Disney. But a few days at Disney isn't enough time to really enjoy anything...you need at least 2 days each at MK and Epcot, and then there's AK and HS. So a couple of day became 6 days. Well, even with 6 days, you're going to have to rush, rush, rush, so maybe a few more days. DH says, "Wait, I thought this trip was about the shuttle launch?" "It is, it is" I reassure him, but my mind has already started down the thought track of "maybe this could be my long awaited dream trip to Disney?"

To be continued....
:rolleyes:

Love, Love, LOOOOOVE the Wilderness Lodge! DH and I stayed there for our honeymoon. These days our budget allows us a stay at the Pop Century, but I'm not complaining!

I'm thinking about starting a PTR too! I'll also try to keep track of yours. SO EXCITING for you to be heading to WDW w/ DH and DD! I hope you have a super fabulous time! :cheer2:

Background continued...

Could we actually pull off the Disney vacation I've always wanted to take? I started exploring the Disney World website, and quickly discovered the Special Offers page. What?!?...40% off hotel? Hmmmm...I started playing around with different scenarios. I looked at the variety of resorts, and I kept coming back to the Wilderness Lodge. There are "beach and ocean" people and there are "mountain and lake" people. We are most definitely the latter. The only drawback was that it wasn't on the monorail, which was always part of the dream. But the monorail resorts didn't appeal to me like WL, and the family was in complete agreement. So, I plugged the trip parameters into the website...8 nights at WL and 9 day tickets w/ park hopper and WPF&M. Out came a very workable number. We weren't quite ready to book the room and make a deposit, so I continued to explore options.

I then discovered the DDP. This took some convincing of DH. As the bean counter I am, I quickly whipped out a spreadsheet breaking out the various expenses. I'm not sure if the spreadsheet convinced him or the fact we wouldn't have to constantly monitor our food budget while at WDW.

I was so nervous booking that vacation package. Were we making the right choices? What if we hated WL? Was 9 days enough or too much? Is the DDP a good choice for us? I kept telling myself, "it's only a deposit, if it doesn't work out, we're only out the $200." On March 24th, I officially booked our first family trip to WDW!!

Wait, didn't this start out as a trip to see a shuttle launch? More on that later...

Here are our ADRs as of now. I've already done a lot of tweaking, and I don't think I'll be making any more changes. All are dinner ADRs, with the exception of Mama Melrose's and Chef Mickey's.

Mon, Jul 26 - Whispering Canyon Cafe
Tue, Jul 27 - Biergarten Restaurant (this is for DH...he loved the Hofbrauhaus in Munich)
Wed, Jul 28 - 50's Prime Time Cafe
Thu, Jul 29 - Les Chef de France
Fri, Jul 30 - Crystal Palace
Sat, Jul 31 - Raglan Road Irish Pub
Sun, Aug 1 - Mama Melrose's (Fantasmic! dinner package)
Mon, Aug 2 - Tusker House
Tue, Aug 3 - Chef Mickey's (farewell breakfast)

Cute sidenote:
When the family sat down to discuss various cuisine options, DD (12 y/o) quickly informed me that she was well beyond her "princess phase" and there was no need to schedule any character meals. We're a gastronomically adventurous group (no hot dogs & chicken nuggets for us), and I started planning with that in mind. A few days later, as I was going over the preliminary plans with the family, DD quietly said "Mom?" "Yes?" "Ummm, would it be okay if we did go to one of charcter meals? I decided I really do want to see Mickey, and maybe some of the others." W00T!!! She's still my little girl :hug:

You are soooo right...you need lots of time at WDW to get the whole experience! Can't wait to read more!!

Kammie :wizard:

Thought I'd take a break from describing the past and give a current update. 3 weeks from today, we will be arriving at the Wilderness Lodge to start our awesome Disney experience. Several times this past weekend, DD and I played the following game:

Time: Sat, approx 9am
DD: "Mom, what will we be doing exactly 3 weeks from now?"
Me: "We'll be driving away, with me worrying that we forgot something." :scared:

Time: Sat, approx 7pm
Me: "We'll checking into our hotel in New Orleans, and then heading out to find a good crawfish boil."

Time: Sun, approx 12pm
Me: "We'll be stopping for lunch in the town of De Funiak Springs, FL." (She cracks up everytime I say the name of the town.)

I have no doubt this will continue over the next 3 weeks. DH just shakes his head.

On another positive note, I met a pre-trip goal today. I'm overweight....very overweight. I've found by reading board posts that this is called "pooh-sized". I've worried about my stamina, and whether I would be able to keep up with DH and DD. I started walking about a month ago. My goal was to walk continuously at a steady/fairly quick pace for 15 minutes. I met that goal today!!! :banana: Not only that, but was not out of breath or in pain at the end. Last week I started including some stairs, and I think that helped. Currently, I've been doing my walking during breaks at work (i.e. in the air conditioning). I'm now going to move the walking outside. Texas heat (at least where we are) is fairly similar to Florida heat....a little less humidity.

Also, with the walking I starting tracking my calorie intake, and by just paying attention, which encourages moderation, I've dropped a pant size. W00T!!!! :cool1::woohoo::cool1::woohoo::cool1:

I forgot something with my last post....THANK YOU to those who posted replys to my first 2 posts. :worship: I'm really surprised that anyone bothered to read my ravings. I started this as a way to document my thoughts and feelings, but the support feels good!

Way to go with the walking! Should be good practice for Disney!

What will you be doing 3 weeks from right now? :)

Hi! Followed you over from my PTR! :goodvibes Your ADR's look great and I'm jealous that you can drive to Disney in two days. If one stop was all it took for us to get to Disney, I'd drive in a heartbeat. But CT is a little too far!

So happy for you that you're getting the trip of your dreams. While I would never be silly enough to argue that Disney is cheap, it isn't as expensive as one might think, particularly when you do your homework.

Have you worked out any kind of touring plans? I have a subscription at TouringPlans.com, which lots of people on the boards don't think is very accurate. Several people have suggested I check out Ridemax, which I think I might. My husband and I are not big on supre scheduled vacations (although you'd never know it from my PTR), but one thing we did find is that getting to the parks for rope drop is huge. We were able to walk onto Soarin' in Epcot, for example.

Also, evening EMH's at MK are absolutely worth staying awake for. If you're there for a Sunday evening, go back to the resort in the afternoon, nap, and then enjoy MK all night. We were there until 3 and walked onto rides for the last three hours! In fact, getting up for rope drop, stopping around lunch, heading back to our resort for downtime, and then going back to a park for the evening worked really well for us.

Enjoy and savor these last few weeks before your trip! I think that might be the best part! Anticipation and all that. :banana:

Hi! Followed you over from my PTR! :goodvibes Your ADR's look great and I'm jealous that you can drive to Disney in two days. If one stop was all it took for us to get to Disney, I'd drive in a heartbeat. But CT is a little too far!

So happy for you that you're getting the trip of your dreams. While I would never be silly enough to argue that Disney is cheap, it isn't as expensive as one might think, particularly when you do your homework.

Have you worked out any kind of touring plans? I have a subscription at TouringPlans.com, which lots of people on the boards don't think is very accurate. Several people have suggested I check out Ridemax, which I think I might. My husband and I are not big on supre scheduled vacations (although you'd never know it from my PTR), but one thing we did find is that getting to the parks for rope drop is huge. We were able to walk onto Soarin' in Epcot, for example.

Also, evening EMH's at MK are absolutely worth staying awake for. If you're there for a Sunday evening, go back to the resort in the afternoon, nap, and then enjoy MK all night. We were there until 3 and walked onto rides for the last three hours! In fact, getting up for rope drop, stopping around lunch, heading back to our resort for downtime, and then going back to a park for the evening worked really well for us.

Enjoy and savor these last few weeks before your trip! I think that might be the best part! Anticipation and all that. :banana:

We COULD make the drive in 2 days, but we stretched it out to 2.5 days. According to Google, it's 18.5 hours (1,125 miles), but that's without stops. DH and I agreed that our limit is 8 to 9 hours per day in the car. We once did a straight shot from southern Colorado to home (14 hrs), and it about killed us. I found a good deal on JetBlue (non stop Austin to Orlando), but DH really wants the road trip.

Touring plans? Oh yes...I signed up with touringplans.com and RideMax. Wasn't thrilled with the actual touring plans on touringplans.com, but I like the crowd calendar, and the various tips and strategies. I love RideMax (at least so far since I haven't actually put it to the test). I've done SEVERAL scenarios.

Our plan is to the hit the parks at RD, stay until 1pm or so, head back to resort (or waterpark) and chill, hit our dinner ADR, and head back out to the parks. I've read many pros and cons about EMHs. I made our ADRs prior to reading about most of the cons, and since I won't be able to get good times this late in the game, we're gonna roll with it. I'm thinking of avoiding the early EMHs and focus on the late. I don't think the family can handle staying out til 2am and then trying to make a 8am opening.

Hi!

Just had to pipe in -- we think our touring plans (at touringplans.com) are as accurate as we really can get them. We test them extensively throughout the year. Happy to answer any questions about our accuracy -- just email us on the site!

Wow, I'm so excited for you! When we were at Disney last August we got to see a shuttle launch on our last day, even though it had been delayed for two days before that. It's a truly awesome sight. I'm glad we didn't make the drive out to the Cape because we would have been so tired, having to make the drive at 12am three times. A great idea would be to try and be in the Flights of Adventure balloon ( or whatever it's name is) when the shuttle launches- we saw people doing this, and we're bummed that we hadn't thought of it.

We are now 10 days away from leaving on our vacation. All the major issues have been tackled, and I feel unsettled. I've made hotel reservations (for the road trip), confirmed pet sitters, made packing lists and touring plans. Now I just don't know what to do with myself. A couple of days ago I created a trip notebook. DD designed the cover, and it contains all our maps and hotel confirmations.

DD and I are going to attempt to our first tie-dye Mickey shirts this weekend. I've got the supplies and one t-shirt has been banded. DD is visiting her grandparents this week, and she'll be disappointed if I finish without her.

I've learned so much in the last 5 months of planning this trip. Before February I didn't know terms like ADR or EMH. I'm hoping I can just remember to use half of it.

Like I said...I feel unsettled, and a little restless. I can't seem to focus, so I'll just post our basic itinerary. Feedback is encouraged.

Sat, Jul 24
- Drive away approx 8am (hopefully wasn't up until 3am packing)
- Lunch somewhere around Beaumont, TX
- Arrive in New Orleans around 7pm, and check into Country Inn & Suites on Magazine St.
- Dinner at Coop's Place http://www.coopsplace.net/ (we like local dives, and this one looks like the place for us)

Sun, Jul 25
- Early breakfast of beignets and coffee at Cafe du Monde http://www.cafedumonde.com/
- Back on the road by 8:30am
- Lunch at McClain Family Steakhouse in De Funiak Springs (DD laughs everytime I say the name of the town)
- Arrive in Jacksonville around 7pm, and check into Wingate
- Dinner at Clark's Fish Camp

Mon, Jul 26
- Breakfast at Metro Diner http://www.metrodinerjax.com/
- Take the scenic route down Florida A1A to Daytona Beach, then onto Orlando
- Make a supply run at Publix Supermarket in Orlando before heading to WDW
- Check in at Wilderness Lodge around 1pm
- Explore resort and enjoy pool
- Dinner ADR at Whispering Canyon Cafe
- Watch Electric Water Parade and then turn in for the night

Tue, Jul 27
- RD at Epcot, primary goals are Test Track, Mission: Space, Spaceship Earth, Maelstrom & Gran Fiesta Tour
- Lunch somewhere in World Showcase, possibly Yakitori House or Tangierine Cafe
- Back to resort for pool and relaxation
- Dinner ADR at Biergarten in Epcot
- IllumiNations and EMH, explore World Showcase

Wed, Jul 28
- RD at Magic Kingdom, goals are Fantasyland and Tomorrowland
- Lunch at Cosmic Ray's
- Back to resort for pool and relaxation or TL/BB
- Dinner ADR at 50s Prime Time Cafe at DHS
- EMH at DHS, hoping to ride one of the big 3, ToT, RnR, or TSM

Thu, Jul 29
- RD at Epcot, primary goals are Soarin', Captain EO & Living with the Land
- CS lunch at Epcot
- Back to resort for pool and relaxation
- Dinner ADR at Chefs de France
- EMH, depending on crowds and energy level

Fri, Jul 30
- Early morning Atlas 5 Rocket Lauch at Cape Canaveral
- Late morning, Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach (I'll probably stay at resort and do laundry/relax)
- Dinner ADR at Crystal Palace
- Main St Electrical Parade and Fireworks
- EMH, depending on crowds and energy level

Sat, Jul 31
- RD at Magic Kingdom, goals are Frontierland & Adventureland
- Lunch at either Pecos Bill's or Pinocchio Village Haus
- Back to resorts for pool and relaxation
- Dinner ADR at Raglan Road Irish Pub
- Cirque du Soleil, La Nouba, 9pm show

Sun, Aug 1
- RD at Hollywood Studios
- Early dinner ADR at Mama Melrose's (Fantasmic Dinner Package)
- Fantasmic!, 9pm show

Mon, Aug 2
- RD at Animal Kingdom
- Lunch at Flame Tree BBQ
- Dinner ADR at Tusker House

Tue, Aug 3
- Check out of Wilderness Lodge
- Late breakfast ADR at Chef Mickey's
- Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach
- Late afternoon check in at Pop Century

Wed, Aug 4
- Check out at Pop Century
- Free Time - whichever park we want to re-visit, or just shop
- Late afternoon drive to Ocala, FL
- Check in at La Quinta Inn

Thu, Aug 5
- Drive to Abita Springs, LA
- Dinner at the Abita Brew Pub
- Check in at Courtyard in Covington, LA

Fri, Aug 6
- Drive home :sad: :sad: :sad:

How quickly things change!!! No sooner did I post the previous update, I found out that a significant part of our itinerary had been altered by powers well beyond our control.

Let me backtrack a little...

This origin of this trip was centered around DH fulfilling a life-long dream. He wanted to see a space shuttle launch. The one we originally planned to see over spring break was delayed until April. However, there was another one scheduled for late July. That launch was impetus of this trip.

However, not long after I officially booked our Disney vacation package in March, we found out the the shuttle launch was being delayed until November. DH was crestfallen. :sad2::sad::sad1:

But wait, he discovered there was an Atlas 5 rocket launch scheduled for July 30. It's not a shuttle launch, but hey, he gets to see something shot into space. :yay:

Fast forward to yesterday evening. DH monitors the status of the launch almost daily, while I check once every couple of weeks. Well, I happened to check, and I don't see the launch listed. :eek: Oh crap...the rocket launch has be delayed until August 10 due to a "payload fairing issue". I have to give DH the bad news, and he is NOT a happy camper. :furious::furious::furious: In his frustration he says, "well, we don't NEED the car now, so we should just fly."

Back when we were first planning the trip, I did research flight costs. The cheapest I found was JetBlue for about $300 round trip. I created another handy dandy spreadsheet to compare driving vs. flying. Driving was a tad more expensive, but because we needed a car to drive from WDW to Cape Canaveral to see the launch, driving was the better option. I wasn't looking forward to the 18 hour drive, but I was looking forward to visiting/eating in New Orleans and Jacksonville. Also, DD has never seen the parts of the country we would be traveling through. The road trip idea grew on me. :scratchin

Out of curiosity, I took a look at flight possibilities after the bad news about the launch delay. JetBlue was definitely more expensive now, so I then looked at Southwest. I couldn't believe what I found....round trip, nonstop, to/from Orlando....$229 per person. Was this the silver lining...or maybe some pixie dust?!? pixiedust:

So, the road trip is off and flights have been booked. I had to cancel all the hotel reservations I had made for the road trip, but that was no biggie. I did convince DH that we should fly in the day before (Sunday). Maybe I'm a little over-cautious, but I really don't want to miss any of our vacation time due to airport mishaps. Since we're saving about $250, I used some of those savings to book Sunday night at All-Star Movies.

We're also gaining another morning in the parks, since Friday morning was originally set aside for the launch. I'll need to revamp my touring plans. Looks like I do have stuff to do in the next week after all. :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter