Lyft safety?

mthds

Mouseketeer
Need to get from All Star Sports to Yacht club for a 7:30 breakfast at Ale and compass. Lyft seems to be best option. I Will be alone. (Female, middle age). Anyway I have never used Lyft or Uber.

My husband and son are concerned for my safety. If I check the car tag, have driver tell me who they are picking up and destination, and all the other “safety “ suggestions is Lyft at Disney a safe option for a solo traveler?

Are there designated pick up spots?

Only other option would be to take early bus to studios and either walk or take skyliner if running that early. Not against walking the distance or so but it will be my last day and I’m sure my feet might not be so happy 😀.

does anyone know of another way to get from one resort to another other than Lyft?

I was in my early 30s in Chicago for 2 weeks visiting my brother. He had to work during the week, so I was on my own. I took the train and Uber and Lyft everyday by myself. I survived the ‘murder capital’ of the US. I think it’ll be ok at Disney ☺️
I don’t mean to make lite of your situation. I get being nervous, but I never felt unsafe once. Just be smart about it and when they pick you up, they should call you by your name

Yep perfectly safe. As safe as anything
They are designated drop off spots
They can pick you up wherever you can drive to at the resort

When a Lyft or Uber driver accepts your trip, you will see a name, small photo and a vehicle description/photo. You will know you are getting into the right car. Additionally you can share your location real time with contacts.
https://www.ridesharingdriver.com/lyft-share-location-safety-911/
A third option is Disney Minnievan via the Lyft app. More expensive but perhaps less disconcerting for you.

Thanks for the info. We live in a town with a University. Last spring a student got into the wrong car by mistake thinking it was her Uber/Lyft ride. She was killed. So that is what is on our minds. But looking at security cameras she didnt' check tag or anything, just got in car. Not blaming her at all. I just think if you take all the main security checklist then it is as safe as anything.

I have used UBER quite a few times solo. I am a female in my early 40s and have not given it a second thought. I just make sure to look at the license plate to ensure that I am getting in the right one and make sure the picture matches. I do usually make sure someone knows I am using UBER (tell my friends I meet up with at Disney or text my Mom) in case there was an issue. And I have always felt safe. Especially at Disney, the drivers are often chatty and want to hear about the parks and where you have been.

If you (or your family) are really worried, spend the extra and use a MinnieVan. You order them via the Lyft app, and it’s a Disney CM that’s driving you. Works just like a Lyft, and it’s approx. double the price, but that might give all of you more peace of mind.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. We live in a town with a University. Last spring a student got into the wrong car by mistake thinking it was her Uber/Lyft ride. She was killed. So that is what is on our minds. But looking at security cameras she didnt' check tag or anything, just got in car. Not blaming her at all. I just think if you take all the main security checklist then it is as safe as anything.
Yep, and no, you hate to blame the victim for things like that but she did not do it right. So not her fault she was killed by getting in the wrong car but totally her fault for not following safety precautions. You have to take personal responsibility for things within your control. Knowing what vehicle you are supposed to get in is within your control.

We were just in Orlando and took Uber the whole time. My husband was laughing but I legit walked to the rear of every car and checked the license plate number. Best way to guarantee you are in the correct car. He walked up once and goes getting Lauren? I was so mad, that’s the another rule always make them say your name name.
I take Uber regularly alone, I will say drivers in Orlando are some of the worst, we have ever had. More because I think lots of people are moving there to drive Uber/Lyft. This is coming from our drivers last week, lots of opportunities for them down there.
I wish the had front plates in Florida would make it easier.

My daughter has visited us twice which we were on vacation at WDW. She stays for a few days and travels by herself. She is 30ish and beautiful. She was concerned too, and felt more comfortable with a limo service to and from the air port. That has worked out well for her, being alone and concerned. I know that doesn't help with your in resort trip, but just throwing it out there as her experience getting to and from the AP.

Need to get from All Star Sports to Yacht club for a 7:30 breakfast at Ale and compass. Lyft seems to be best option. I Will be alone. (Female, middle age). Anyway I have never used Lyft or Uber.

My husband and son are concerned for my safety. If I check the car tag, have driver tell me who they are picking up and destination, and all the other “safety “ suggestions is Lyft at Disney a safe option for a solo traveler?

Are there designated pick up spots?

Only other option would be to take early bus to studios and either walk or take skyliner if running that early. Not against walking the distance or so but it will be my last day and I’m sure my feet might not be so happy 😀.

does anyone know of another way to get from one resort to another other than Lyft?
First of all, if you follow a few basic safety rules, you'll be perfectly safe. The word "Uber" in a headline is instant clicks on the Internet, so anything like that will attract much more attention than it really warrants. Just use the following. If you do just the top two, you're good.
  • Checking the vehicle description (make, color) and tag is the first step.
  • You will also have a photo of the driver on your app. That is actually your best protection, because if the face on your app matches the face behind the wheel matches, you know it's an approved driver who has passed a very stringent background check.
    • Photos are one place where Uber is better safety-wise than Lyft. Uber frequently requires drivers to take a selfie to verify their identity by facial recognition; Lyft doesn't. So I've been driving for both companies for 3 years -- my Uber picture is from last week; Lyft pic is 3 years old.
  • Some drivers will give you their name; others will ask for your name., or will ask, "Are you _____?" Either one works, and either one can fail depending on whether people are paying attention. This is the most common check used, but not my fave because it's so easy to mess up.
Second, you can have trusted friends/family follow your trip in real time through the app with either company. That is both a good safety feature, and a stress-reliever for family members.

Uber has a much more robust safety suite in their rider app, but you'll be fine with either company. The vast majority of drivers drive for both companies, so most of us have had double background checks.

If you have any other questions, fire away.

Not sure if you would feel more comfortable in a cab than lyft, but usually the resorts have a few hanging around to transport, especially early morning.

I've used Lyft all over Disney as a solo traveler and a few times late at night and have always felt safe. When I approach their car they pretty much always say my name as a question. I've never asked them the destination, I'm not sure they know it until they click that you're in the car so they can't be picky about which trips to accept, though I could be wrong about this. I check the make and model of the car and the plates. As long as you're careful, I wouldn't worry.

My sister had to fly home alone for one day of work in the middle of our last trip and took Uber to and from the airport (since she couldn't do DME). No issues, both were evening/night.

I used Uber for the first time last month when in Louisville. No real issues. One car's license plate didn't match what the app said and I mentally freaked out a bit the whole way to the airport. The driver did know my name and destination without prompting and he and the car make matched what the app said.

I second this. If you want an added level of comfort go with a Minnievan Lyft instead. These employees have been vetted by Disney.
This is a good option, but there is significant cost involved. MV fares are $15 + $2.75 per mile. AS Sports to Yacht Club is 3.7 miles, so the fare would be a little over $25 (each way).

According to RideGuru, Uber or Lyft would be about $10 and a taxi would be $17.

I used Uber for the first time last month when in Louisville. No real issues. One car's license plate didn't match what the app said and I mentally freaked out a bit the whole way to the airport. The driver did know my name and destination without prompting and he and the car make matched what the app said.
You should NOT have gotten in that car.

Last edited:
This is a good option, but there is significant cost involved. MV fares are $15 + $2.75 per mile. AS Sports to Yacht Club is 3.7 miles, so the fare would be a little over $25 (each way).

According to RideGuru, Uber or Lyft would be about $10 and a taxi would be $17.

No doubt. Minnie Vans are very costly.

I have never once gotten into a traditional taxi, looked at the driver and thought “now this a guy I can really trust.”

I personally don’t understand why people think taxis are somehow anymore safe than ride share. No, I don’t trust that “extensive” background check.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!