Lyft safety?

We were just in Orlando and took Uber the whole time. My husband was laughing but I legit walked to the rear of every car and checked the license plate number. Best way to guarantee you are in the correct car. He walked up once and goes getting Lauren? I was so mad, that’s the another rule always make them say your name name.
I take Uber regularly alone, I will say drivers in Orlando are some of the worst, we have ever had. More because I think lots of people are moving there to drive Uber/Lyft. This is coming from our drivers last week, lots of opportunities for them down there.
I wish the had front plates in Florida would make it easier.

I completely agree about wishing they had front license plates too. I also walk around to the back of the car to ensure I am getting in the one that I was sent in the app!

I have never once gotten into a traditional taxi, looked at the driver and thought “now this a guy I can really trust.”

I personally don’t understand why people think taxis are somehow anymore safe than ride share. No, I don’t trust that “extensive” background check.
LOL, me neither!

However, the real problem with taxi safety is the total lack of consistency. Taxis are regulated almost everywhere by the local city government, and the rules are all over the place. In some cities, the background checks are very rigorous; in other cities, if your check clears or your credit card is approved, you're in.

With Uber/Lyft, there is one standard nationwide in the US and it is very rigorous. It includes extensive criminal, sexual predator, and driving history checks...including national checks for warrants, criminal history, sexual predator, and terrorist watch list. Vehicle ownership, residence, insurance, and other requirements are also verified.

With Uber, driver identity is periodically (randomly) verified by facial recognition software, and there is crash detection and inactivity detection in both the driver app and rider app. There is also the ability to call either a rider safety hotline or 911 in the app. If you or the driver call 911 in the app, responding emergency units have your actual GPS location, not the approximation of the nearest cell tower location -- and if you're moving, they know it.

In addition, both Uber and Lyft double-track your ride in real time. They track the driver via the driver app, and they check the passenger through the rider app. And with both companies, you can share that real-time tracking with trusted family/friends easily and automatically from your app.

Both Uber and Lyft also provide multiple layers of confirmation that a) the driver is legit, and b) that you are getting in the right car.

However, as we see above, all those protections are worthless if you find a discrepancy and get in the car anyway.

The protections are there, but you have to do your part too.

I completely agree about wishing they had front license plates too. I also walk around to the back of the car to ensure I am getting in the one that I was sent in the app!
As a driver, whenever a rider checks my license tag, I THANK them!

Need to get from All Star Sports to Yacht club for a 7:30 breakfast at Ale and compass. Lyft seems to be best option. I Will be alone. (Female, middle age). Anyway I have never used Lyft or Uber.

My husband and son are concerned for my safety. If I check the car tag, have driver tell me who they are picking up and destination, and all the other “safety “ suggestions is Lyft at Disney a safe option for a solo traveler?

Are there designated pick up spots?

Only other option would be to take early bus to studios and either walk or take skyliner if running that early. Not against walking the distance or so but it will be my last day and I’m sure my feet might not be so happy 😀.

does anyone know of another way to get from one resort to another other than Lyft?

They are not designated pick-up spots, but they generally pick-up and drop off at the main lobby so at the very least Cast Members should be around.

I think (this is my own opinion) that at WDW most Lyft drivers are quite experienced, and so cars are always clean and drivers not a problem.

I appreciate your concerns, but have not heard of any issues at Disney with Lyft, and at that time of day WDW starts to wake up so if you don't feel comfortable getting in a car, you can simply walk away without issue.

I know. I knew it then, too, but my fear of confrontation kept me from saying something.
First of all, what's important? Unpleasantness? Or safety?

Don't do that again...PLEASE.
I just found that you can report it in the app, too.

Yes -- you can report it in the app, and you should.
  • Tap the three menu bars in the upper left corner, and then tap "Your Trips."
  • Select the appropriate trip and then scroll down to reasons for contacting support. I would use "My vehicle wasn't what I expected"
  • You will see an option for the tag not matching.
The driver may have a perfectly plausible explanation -- and if so, it's easy for them to explain to Uber/Lyft.

Or it may have been an unauthorized driver. An unauthorized driver using someone else's account, of course, would know the name of the legitimate account holder -- that's why checking the picture is so important.

Or, it could have been the right driver driving an unauthorized vehicle, or...., or....

First of all, what's important? Unpleasantness? Or safety?

Don't do that again...PLEASE.

Yes -- you can report it in the app, and you should.
  • Tap the three menu bars in the upper left corner, and then tap "Your Trips."
  • Select the appropriate trip and then scroll down to reasons for contacting support. I would use "My vehicle wasn't what I expected"
  • You will see an option for the tag not matching.
The driver may have a perfectly plausible explanation -- and if so, it's easy for them to explain to Uber/Lyft.

Or it may have been an unauthorized driver. An unauthorized driver using someone else's account, of course, would know the name of the legitimate account holder -- that's why checking the picture is so important.

Or, it could have been the right driver driving an unauthorized vehicle, or...., or....

I agree. And while %99 of Lyft rides I've had were totally without issue, I did report the couple I did have. Lyft was totally responsive, and is quite unforgiving to drivers who break rules or cause various problems.

I don't want to discourage using Lyft in any way, It's just something to keep in mind.

We were just in Orlando and took Uber the whole time. My husband was laughing but I legit walked to the rear of every car and checked the license plate number. Best way to guarantee you are in the correct car. He walked up once and goes getting Lauren? I was so mad, that’s the another rule always make them say your name name.
I take Uber regularly alone, I will say drivers in Orlando are some of the worst, we have ever had. More because I think lots of people are moving there to drive Uber/Lyft. This is coming from our drivers last week, lots of opportunities for them down there.
I wish the had front plates in Florida would make it easier.
In regards to checking the plates, I had the most ironic, coincidental Uber experience happen on our recent trip and I don't think it would ever happen again...but I still want to share....

I requested an Uber to take myself and my 2 daughters over to the Poly for breakfast from AKV. The app showed that our driver was arriving in a gray Toyota Corolla with a license plate of XYZ 123 (or whatever). In a few minutes, a gray Toyota Corolla pulled up and as my daughter went to check the plate, another lady and her companion got in the car! I asked her to stop and the driver said to her, "Are you Kristen?" She said, "Yes, I'm Kristen" and she showed me her app...Yup, "Kristen" was also waiting for a gray Toyota Corolla! I looked at the plate on the car that had arrived and it WAS XYZ 123...but then I realized that there was also a gray Toyota Corolla right behind it! I directed the other Kristen to the second car, which was "her" car and we had a good laugh about it. What were the odds that TWO people named Kristen were BOTH waiting for a GRAY Toyota Corolla at the SAME time from the SAME location???:confused3:rotfl2:

What were the odds that TWO people named Kristen were BOTH waiting for a GRAY Toyota Corolla at the SAME time from the SAME location???:confused3:rotfl2:
The odds are actually pretty good...which is why I don't like relying on name-checks. Tag check and driver's photo are much more reliable.

Also, even if the other rider's name was Esmarelda, she would have said "Yes" and gotten in the car!

I have never once gotten into a traditional taxi, looked at the driver and thought “now this a guy I can really trust.”

I personally don’t understand why people think taxis are somehow anymore safe than ride share. No, I don’t trust that “extensive” background check.
I agree. I have had some sketchy cab rides over the years and the worst was a Mears taxi in Orlando. I have never had a problem with Uber or Lyft.

I live in Chicago. Not single, but I take it alone all the time. Sometimes very, very early morning to work.

I just check that the plates match and get in. :)

I am also a solo female, middle-age. I've taken rideshares many times in multiple cities. Obviously anything can happen at any time to any one in any situation, but in my experience, Lyft and Uber are as safe as a taxi--if not safer. I've had a lot of sketchy taxi drivers, but never a sketchy Lyft or Uber driver. And their cars are usually nicer, cleaner and smell better. I know Uber now has a function within the app where you can send a message to a friend or family member to let them know when you get in the car and when you arrive at your destination. (You can probably do the same thing just by texting someone if you're using Lyft.) I haven't felt the need to use it, but if you do, that might put your mind at ease. And as others have noted, just make sure the license plate matches, and reconfirm the driver's name before you get in. You should be fine.

I know Uber now has a function within the app where you can send a message to a friend or family member to let them know when you get in the car and when you arrive at your destination. (You can probably do the same thing just by texting someone if you're using Lyft.)
It's much easier than that, and Lyft has the same capability.

Friends/family can follow your ride in real time with a simple tap of your phone screen. Here's a link:

https://www.uber.com/us/en/drive/driver-app/follow-my-ride/

Thank you for bringing up this topic.

I also am looking at using LYFT, especially as I will be alone for some of the trips, and we dont have LYFT where I live so am totally unfamiliar with this company and the procedures.

Regarding the app, do you have to pre-order or can you just do it when you need it.

Thanks.

I also am looking at using LYFT, especially as I will be alone for some of the trips, and we dont have LYFT where I live so am totally unfamiliar with this company and the procedures.

Regarding the app, do you have to pre-order or can you just do it when you need it.

Thanks.

You’ll use the app to book a ride when you need it.

Thanks.
You download the apps from Apple or the Google Play store (free) and install them on your phone.

I strongly suggest that you have both apps on your phone. Fares usually vary a little bit between companies, and both companies offer promotions which will be of value. The vast majority of drivers drive for both companies simultaneously -- so there is no difference to a rider most of the time...except price.

I also suggest all adults in your party have both apps on their phones. Multiple accounts = multiple promotions = savings.

Before you actually activate your accounts, you might check with friends and family, because one of them may be able to give you a referral which would give both you and them some promotions.

Before you order rides, you will set up your account, select payment methods, etc. for each account. Very simple process, only takes a couple of minutes.

Look at both companies websites for information about how to order rides, and try it a few times before you actually order. You can go through the very quick process, see available vehicle types and fares, and do everything except actually order. That will give you some familiarity.

You should also talk to friends who use both services to get some tips. It's very easy, and by the time you've taken 2-3 rides, you'll be a pro.

On ordering rides, it is possible to pre-schedule rides, but DON'T. "Scheduled ride" actually means nothing and is more likely to cause you a cancellation charge than anything beneficial. Never order a ride until your entire party is at the pickup site and ready to get into the car.

Specific to WDW, there is this thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/everthing-you-wanted-to-know-about-uber-lyft-at-wdw.3443634/

Keep in mind that the thread is more than 4 years old, so many of the older posts contain outdated information. The same is true of info provided by well-meaning posters here on the DIS. A poster's experience from a year or two ago may well be exactly the opposite of today's situation, so be sure you're evaluating current info.

There is some level of risk with any type of transportation and only you can determine your level of tolerance. The reward outweighs the risk in my opinion. You have been given lots of good advice for safety. I will almost always choose Uber/Lyft over a traditional taxi simply because I love the convenience of not having to pay in the car. I also have gotten into some arguments with taxi drivers around the world about routes, fare tampering, etc and have felt very uncomfortable. With ride share apps I know that I have a form of recourse to dispute the matter.

You download the apps from Apple or the Google Play store (free) and install them on your phone.

I strongly suggest that you have both apps on your phone. Fares usually vary a little bit between companies, and both companies offer promotions which will be of value. The vast majority of drivers drive for both companies simultaneously -- so there is no difference to a rider most of the time...except price.

I also suggest all adults in your party have both apps on their phones. Multiple accounts = multiple promotions = savings.

Before you actually activate your accounts, you might check with friends and family, because one of them may be able to give you a referral which would give both you and them some promotions.

Before you order rides, you will set up your account, select payment methods, etc. for each account. Very simple process, only takes a couple of minutes.

Look at both companies websites for information about how to order rides, and try it a few times before you actually order. You can go through the very quick process, see available vehicle types and fares, and do everything except actually order. That will give you some familiarity.

You should also talk to friends who use both services to get some tips. It's very easy, and by the time you've taken 2-3 rides, you'll be a pro.

On ordering rides, it is possible to pre-schedule rides, but DON'T. "Scheduled ride" actually means nothing and is more likely to cause you a cancellation charge than anything beneficial. Never order a ride until your entire party is at the pickup site and ready to get into the car.

Specific to WDW, there is this thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/everthing-you-wanted-to-know-about-uber-lyft-at-wdw.3443634/

Keep in mind that the thread is more than 4 years old, so many of the older posts contain outdated information. The same is true of info provided by well-meaning posters here on the DIS. A poster's experience from a year or two ago may well be exactly the opposite of today's situation, so be sure you're evaluating current info.

Thank you so much for this. I am not used to ride share as we have great public transport where we live and I have no need for it.

The great thing about travel, is you get to experience new and exciting things :)

I will get DH to load the apps on as well.

Quick question, do they carry golf clubs as DH may need to use them a few times to golf. Do you add that to the booking??

There is some level of risk with any type of transportation and only you can determine your level of tolerance. The reward outweighs the risk in my opinion. You have been given lots of good advice for safety. I will almost always choose Uber/Lyft over a traditional taxi simply because I love the convenience of not having to pay in the car. I also have gotten into some arguments with taxi drivers around the world about routes, fare tampering, etc and have felt very uncomfortable. With ride share apps I know that I have a form of recourse to dispute the matter.

So true regarding taxis, they used to have an arrogance as they were your only choice, now I guess they may be a lot more accommodating with all the competition in the market for rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter