Magic Band Surprises?

POTCfan

DIS Veteran
So I know that magic bands have the long range RFID. Besides linking ride photographs to your Photo Pass account, is anyone aware of any other uses around the park? I do know that when you are in line in Expedition Everest, when you are in the last stretch before getting onto the ride, there are digital ads that will put the name of someone in the line up on the screen. It has been my name before, and I have an unusual name, so I am sure they pulled it from my Magic Band. Does anyone know of anywhere else in any of the parks where they use your Magic Band to enhance the experience?

IASW goodbye room.
RNRC when you first walk in the building.
There's probably more but I've definitely seen those two.

When you pass by the last droid in the Star Tours queue, they pull your name and city/state to incorporate in the notices on the wall.

They pull your info to post on the concert poster wall in the waiting area for rockin roller coaster.

Sorry to say that practically the entire "interactive" aspect of the MB program was announced, started, but then virtually abandoned.
Previously in the line for RnRC, we saw our names on the billboards and they kept changing. This time, the ads were not doing anything. It was kind of disappointing. Same thing noticed lacking on EE, the ads didn't have any names in them.
As you said, if the interactive part has been scrapped, that explains it. It is too bad as it was fun.

Last edited:

It's a small world was working last week. Everytime we ride in the last row, our names pop up.

BOG lunch is delivered to your table. You place your receipt on table when you seat yourself. Server brings food and confirms it with receipt. ( they have to use magic band technology to determine where you are seated. If you do not have a magic band, you are given a plastic rose to place on table

Names shown at end of Small World, Toy Story MidWay Mania, RnRc, and then HM was posting where some people were from in the hitchhiking ghost room.

and then HM was posting where some people were from in the hitchhiking ghost room.
Yes! I got this one time, and was so disappointed there was no ride photo for this. DH and I were in our Doombuggy, and as we came to the Hitchhiking Ghost part at the end, one of them appeared between us and held up a sign saying "Going to NYC!" I would have paid for a pic of that, but sadly, they don't have that as an option.

Yes! I got this one time, and was so disappointed there was no ride photo for this. DH and I were in our Doombuggy, and as we came to the Hitchhiking Ghost part at the end, one of them appeared between us and held up a sign saying "Going to NYC!" I would have paid for a pic of that, but sadly, they don't have that as an option.
I know what you mean, but I'm kind of glad they don't have ride photos in the HM, it's pretty sacred to me and it would cheapen it IMHO.

Sorry to say that practically the entire "interactive" aspect of the MB program was announced, started, but then virtually abandoned.
If I recall correctly wasn’t this the main selling point of the investment. Or at least the main point directed to the public.

That all went away when the FIRST Billion Dollars was invested and the system was not working as planned.
Yep. That’s what I remember. Plus it took several years so that everyone (hopefully) would forget about the stated strategy

If I recall correctly wasn’t this the main selling point of the investment. Or at least the main point directed to the public.

It was certainly never the real main point. May have been pitched to customers that way but the ability to have a one stop shop for hotel entrance, park entrance, and FP seems the more likely customer facing pitch. We weren't going to Disney at that point so I could be totally wrong about that though.

The MBs are used for the pirate maps in MK and Agent P’s missions in Epcot, both do special things.

While the benifits we see, our names posted, extra features, etc. might not always work, I have a sneaking feeling that they gather quite a bit of information from them that we are not made aware of. Like average length of time in the park, amount of park hopping (which they could do previously with ticket mediums), touring patterns, number of rides taken in a day. So data that no doubt someone in Disney finds useful. IIRC there was a thread here, or an article I read where at one point Disney filed a patton for a system that claimed to keep up with peoples movements through the parks by photographing peoples shoes and then computer matching them with timed sequinces of pictures to track guest flow through the parks. Not sure if they ever implemented it as they file for tons of things that the never act on but found it interesting that they proposed that as a way to keep up with such things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter