Magic Band Upgrade Question

heathsf

DIS Veteran
So I've been noticing that the availability for the premium magic bands that you can upgrade to for $10 is constantly changing. If I see a premium band that I like, can I choose it for myself now and then if the one my daughter wants becomes available at another time - say next week - will I still be able to get hers? I'm a little confused because I had read that they were being shipped right after people purchased them, even if their trip was months away. My trip is at the end of August so I know I'm running out of time to do this...

Also, what happens if someone in the party doesn't want to upgrade? Do all the bands get shipped together?

Thanks for any guidance :)

So I've been noticing that the availability for the premium magic bands that you can upgrade to for $10 is constantly changing. If I see a premium band that I like, can I choose it for myself now and then if the one my daughter wants becomes available at another time - say next week - will I still be able to get hers? I'm a little confused because I had read that they were being shipped right after people purchased them, even if their trip was months away. My trip is at the end of August so I know I'm running out of time to do this...

Also, what happens if someone in the party doesn't want to upgrade? Do all the bands get shipped together?

Unfortunately, you can't order for only one person at a time. It is quite annoying. We were able to get 2 upgraded bands for our first reservation of our split stay, but it wasn't working out for the second one. I finally just ordered 2 days ago. Upgraded castle band for me, just regular orange for DH.

I've been trying to upgrade for a while and I haven't been able to. The site is always down or there's no inventory. It doesn't help if you can't even upgrade. I'd love to have a Darth Vader one, but I'll probably just buy it from shopdisney.com because it seems like they will never get it worked out. They need to get all the kinks worked out.

I've been trying to upgrade for a while and I haven't been able to. The site is always down or there's no inventory. It doesn't help if you can't even upgrade. I'd love to have a Darth Vader one, but I'll probably just buy it from shopdisney.com because it seems like they will never get it worked out. They need to get all the kinks worked out.

I saw the Darth Vader band earlier today. Although I didn’t actually attempt to check out.

Bands for everyone in the party will ship together, even if you didn't pick one out for everyone. I had the problem of picking out two premium bands, got them into the shopping cart, put in the credit card, hit the purchase button, and only one of the premium bands were purchased. The other premium band must of been out of stock between the time I selected it until the time I paid. So the second band will now be a solid color band.

If your trip isn't for two months or more, then I would wait until Disney fixes this problem.

Sorry in advance for my venting. I’m finding this process so frustrating,
It’s taking all the joy of getting the upgraded bands. We are a family of 5, I try a few times each day and have never been able to complete the order. I have less than 3 weeks until I have to finalize our band selection.
Any advice? I’m almost ready to give up and order solid colours.

You may be better off finding a wrap or a decal for a regular, plain colored band on Etsy. There are a lot of options and they should be able to arrive in time if you can find and order soon. This process really is frustrating, I feel you there! The ones we want have all shown up, and on the occasions it lets me add them to the cart, it won't let me check out. But I am lucky to have time on my side since my trip isn't until November. I say give Etsy a shot - maybe you'll find something you like better there!

Could someone please help me understand this. There are 10 of us going, 4 separate reservations, but they are all linked to my MDE, when I go in to try to upgrade the magic bands, the 4 separate reservations come up, so can I try to order them separate. For instance can I order my sister and brother in law than when and if they have one I want for my nephew and his wife if it’s a few days later, order theirs, or will I have to order everyone’s at the same time, sorry this is long but one more question, I have read where people are ordering upgraded ones and receiving plain grey ones, what happens than. Thanks

Could someone please help me understand this. There are 10 of us going, 4 separate reservations, but they are all linked to my MDE, when I go in to try to upgrade the magic bands, the 4 separate reservations come up, so can I try to order them separate. For instance can I order my sister and brother in law than when and if they have one I want for my nephew and his wife if it’s a few days later, order theirs, or will I have to order everyone’s at the same time, sorry this is long but one more question, I have read where people are ordering upgraded ones and receiving plain grey ones, what happens than. Thanks
If everyone is under the same reservation number then yes you will have to order everyone's magic band at the same time. If you have seperate reservation numbers I believe you can order theirs (all together) but seperately from the first reservation. I tried to order my son and daughter's magic band yesterday. My son wanted Toy Story and My daughter wanted Ariel. My son's magic band went through but I did not get a confirmation for my daughter's Ariel band. I called and was transferred to Disney's IT dept (?). They told me there was nothing they could do but could put in a request (?) so she can get the Ariel band. I actually called twice because the first cast member wasnt helpful at all. On both calls, they said someone will be in contact with me but they could not give me a time frame of when. If you get grey ones call and speak with someone to see what options you can do about upgrading.

This process is so frustrating. Took me forever to get 2 bands in my cart, and then I was never actually able to process the sale.

Unfortunately, you can't order for only one person at a time. It is quite annoying. We were able to get 2 upgraded bands for our first reservation of our split stay, but it wasn't working out for the second one. I finally just ordered 2 days ago. Upgraded castle band for me, just regular orange for DH.

Found this out the hard way, because there is nothing during the process that tells you that. We upgraded one band, with the knowledge we still had weeks to finalize our bands, because hey you can do that with the regular bands... make changes right up until the window closes. Today I might feel like pink, tomorrow I might choose yellow with a different nickname, because Disney allows you to do that for the regular bands right up to the closing date. Anyways we upgraded one, thinking would could still make changes, right up to the closing date. Went through the process and finalized. And then found out everything was locked now. So two things to know if you want to upgrade to the premium bands...

1. You have to do all at the same time, you cannot do one here and another there.
2. Once you make the upgrade to premium, even if you still have weeks or months to your trip, you cannot make changes afterwards.

I'm not sure if there's anything I can do about this, but maybe someone else has experience they can share?

I ordered 3 upgraded magic bands for me, my son and my daughter. My husband was happy with the plain one. I went to submit my order and only 2 of the 3 went through - mine and my daughter's (which I know is a common issue people are having) My son's defaulted to the same color as my husband's (which isn't the color he wanted of course) I'm kind of annoyed as I waited until we could all get the bands we wanted and now one is not only not getting the upgraded band he wanted, but also not the color he wanted.

Has anyone had any luck calling and getting the color changed? Or am I best to wait until we get there and just buy him the one that he wants?

Sorry in advance for my venting. I’m finding this process so frustrating,
It’s taking all the joy of getting the upgraded bands. We are a family of 5, I try a few times each day and have never been able to complete the order. I have less than 3 weeks until I have to finalize our band selection.
Any advice? I’m almost ready to give up and order solid colours.
I hear ya, it has been nothing but problems for me as well. At this point, i've thrown in the towel and given up. I've been trying multiple times a day for the past week and it never works. Sometimes I get to the second or third step, then I get the same error message prompting me to retry or choose another magic band. I'm resorting to buying them at shop Disney if I really want one. I actually found one on Ebay for a reasonable price and free shipping.

But as for the upgrade system, until it gets sorted out, I'm done. :mad:

I'm not sure if there's anything I can do about this, but maybe someone else has experience they can share?

I ordered 3 upgraded magic bands for me, my son and my daughter. My husband was happy with the plain one. I went to submit my order and only 2 of the 3 went through - mine and my daughter's (which I know is a common issue people are having) My son's defaulted to the same color as my husband's (which isn't the color he wanted of course) I'm kind of annoyed as I waited until we could all get the bands we wanted and now one is not only not getting the upgraded band he wanted, but also not the color he wanted.

Has anyone had any luck calling and getting the color changed? Or am I best to wait until we get there and just buy him the one that he wants?
I had that happen. My husband and I each had premium bands selected, I hit the purchase button and got only one premium band and one colored one. Some people have been able to get them to reset the MagicBand option so that you can order another set of bands. I think under this situation, where the band was in the cart and then it wasn't, should be something they should fix for you. I would definitely contact them to ask for them to do this. A direct request might work. :)

Today my option within MDE stopped showing up to choose/upgrade magic bands. We are staying at AKL (dvc) in May. The reservation still shows under my plans but I don’t seem to have the option to select bands anymore. Has anyone else seen this happen?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter