Magic Bands coming to Disneyland???

I'd think that if they wanted to they could develop a DL version of MB without using RFID. That's what's probably economically unfeasible in the minds of the DL bean counters.

Or (I assume) they could limit the actions of the RFID to fall within CA privacy law. So it could link with a version of MDE (or the current DL app) and be used for transactions and etc, but not location tracking. I mean, there are RFID chips in some credit cards and those cards are 'legal' in Calif. I'm assuming those cards aren't tracking my every move (just every purchase). And IIRC some car rental companies use RFID in rental cars, supposedly for inventory control. They don't (supposedly) track you on the road, just cars in and out of the rental lots.

Or (again I assume) they could require 'informed consent' from guest to use a fully functional MB and provide an alternative (paper ticket) to people who object to being 'tracked'. Just like at WDW.

I keep hearing this reason too but I'm curious what the difference between a magic band and smartwatch is. Both have tracking ability.

I personally would LOVE to see Magic Bands come to Disneyland. The back up we see in the fastpass lines would be non existent! I would buy one just for using for fastpasses. I really enjoyed using my magic band during my last trip to WDW. I also loved the ride photos they did and how they just popped into our photopass section.
Are you talking about the Fast Pass lines to actually get a Fast Pass out of the machines or the Fast Pass return lines at the attractions. If you think the Magic bands would alleviate the back-up in the Fast Pass entrances at the attractions you've never been stuck behind the idiots who think that all they need to do is wave their magic band or ticket over the Mickey Head & continue on. I seem to always get stuck behind the families that don't have FP scheduled, don't think they need to return during their actual window, or just actually have no clue at all about FP. The Line for the FP return outside Buzz in WDW is sometimes longer than the standby line although it does move fairly quickly.

Are you talking about the Fast Pass lines to actually get a Fast Pass out of the machines or the Fast Pass return lines at the attractions. If you think the Magic bands would alleviate the back-up in the Fast Pass entrances at the attractions you've never been stuck behind the idiots who think that all they need to do is wave their magic band or ticket over the Mickey Head & continue on. I seem to always get stuck behind the families that don't have FP scheduled, don't think they need to return during their actual window, or just actually have no clue at all about FP. The Line for the FP return outside Buzz in WDW is sometimes longer than the standby line although it does move fairly quickly.
I was talking about FP return. When I was in WDW in December it was one of the things I noticed moved much faster than DL. If there was an issue ( I saw once) they pulled the people aside while the MC helped them and we kept scanning and going. Not sure if it's the space difference( WDW has tons and DL has very little) or if it was the magic bands.

Comic con uses rfid for entry and exit tracking. Same tech. Last I checked San Diego still part of CA

Hah! I've clearly stopped following SDCC. Still bitter about WonderCon being stolen from the Bay so I tend to ignore them out of spite.

Looked into it and I'm very intrigued that there isn't a choice with RFID for them (except the choice to not attend). If the RFID sticker is removed, your pass is invalid. You cannot participate without RFID on your ticket. And they've done this for a few years now.

Thanks for bringing this up!

I was talking about FP return. When I was in WDW in December it was one of the things I noticed moved much faster than DL. If there was an issue ( I saw once) they pulled the people aside while the MC helped them and we kept scanning and going. Not sure if it's the space difference( WDW has tons and DL has very little) or if it was the magic bands.

I think space is a big part of it. Also that it seems (if the group is using MBs and not their plastic tickets) there isn't a big bunching up of people. At DLR, I tend to see large groups crowd around the one person scanning all the tickets and block the other scanners. A scanner not being used does cause a backup. It thankfully seems to usually be an accident when I've politely asked people to move, but I've also had people look at me and then block the scanner more.

I've also had someone jab me between the ribs very hard because they were trying to push me forward (with one finger and touching a stranger?! they did knock me off balance with how hard they pushed, but I thankfully didn't fall) as I was letting the person in front of me know (without touching them and politely!) they could go to the open scanner that was slightly blocked by the group in front of them. Hurt in that spot for a few hours :crazy2: . Lady didn't even apologize and criticized me for not having a magical attitude after I told her she hurt me and to not touch me again. People can be quite rude.

So... I dunno. I could see MBs helping speed things up. I could also see someone still finding a way to screw it up :confused3. Would be interesting to see if it did improve anything, though.

Oh! @montreid ! Apparently WonderCon held in Anaheim also uses RFID badges. Very interesting :rolleyes1

Thanks again for the SDCC tip!

exactly; to say RFID is bad and tracking the reason for not implementing --just doesn't ring true. Our phones actually track a heck a lot more specific and intrusive. Those with MDE ---you know that little blue dot showing where you are on the map is kind very specific on your motions throughout the parks?

Hah! I've clearly stopped following SDCC. Still bitter about WonderCon being stolen from the Bay so I tend to ignore them out of spite.

Looked into it and I'm very intrigued that there isn't a choice with RFID for them (except the choice to not attend). If the RFID sticker is removed, your pass is invalid. You cannot participate without RFID on your ticket. And they've done this for a few years now.

Thanks for bringing this up!

I think space is a big part of it. Also that it seems (if the group is using MBs and not their plastic tickets) there isn't a big bunching up of people. At DLR, I tend to see large groups crowd around the one person scanning all the tickets and block the other scanners. A scanner not being used does cause a backup. It thankfully seems to usually be an accident when I've politely asked people to move, but I've also had people look at me and then block the scanner more.

I've also had someone jab me between the ribs very hard because they were trying to push me forward (with one finger and touching a stranger?! they did knock me off balance with how hard they pushed, but I thankfully didn't fall) as I was letting the person in front of me know (without touching them and politely!) they could go to the open scanner that was slightly blocked by the group in front of them. Hurt in that spot for a few hours :crazy2: . Lady didn't even apologize and criticized me for not having a magical attitude after I told her she hurt me and to not touch me again. People can be quite rude.

So... I dunno. I could see MBs helping speed things up. I could also see someone still finding a way to screw it up :confused3. Would be interesting to see if it did improve anything, though.
you know now it makes me wonder - Instead of having 2 scanners facing each other and having to walk between the 2 I wonder if you had them in the middle and had to walk around them - then one side would get backed up as people crowded but it would leave the other side open.

you know now it makes me wonder - Instead of having 2 scanners facing each other and having to walk between the 2 I wonder if you had them in the middle and had to walk around them - then one side would get backed up as people crowded but it would leave the other side open.

Hrm. Maybe?

I still feel people would still try to crowd it, though. They have some scanning pillars at HM that have scanning points on both sides that function sort of like what you're describing (just multiples of them) and people will still circle around the whole pillar while one of the scan points is used.

But it's an idea! Won't really stop those that are actively trying to block people, but might help with those that do it accidentally?

Oh! @montreid ! Apparently WonderCon held in Anaheim also uses RFID badges. Very interesting :rolleyes1

Thanks again for the SDCC tip!
I think D23 Expo used RFID on the badges this past year (Expo 2019). You were given the choice to opt out, but it was made very clear that if you did so, you would not be able to claim your member gifts. So, of course, I don't think many/any members opted out.

The worst ones are Big Thunder, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train & Buzz. There are always groups blocking the Scanners when I try to go through. The CM's never seem to move them away when there's an issue.

I think D23 Expo used RFID on the badges this past year (Expo 2019). You were given the choice to opt out, but it was made very clear that if you did so, you would not be able to claim your member gifts. So, of course, I don't think many/any members opted out.

You're right! They did use them! Oh this is getting very interesting. Also so mad at myself for not following along closely enough and totally missing that very relevant fact :rotfl:

Huge quote below with a few bolded parts and the link to source below that. I'm not totally sure what activation really was beyond agreeing to maybe the personal information data being available to the "participating booths"? Was anyone there that might remember what the fine print said on the activation page? The activation page is gone as D23 is over.

It looks like ones experience was extremely hindered without an activated pass. Like extremely so. And one risked being denied reentry if they forgot to scan out (regardless if pass was activated or not). So Disney was always aware of your coming and goings on site. Only passes for those under 14 couldn't be activated at all, but could still participate in activation required activities only and only if accompanied by an activated adult pass.

This does definitely prove more so there's not only a precedent for RFID use in California (and Anaheim!), but one used by Disney itself very recently. Very, very interesting :scratchin

New this year to the D23 Expo, badges will be enabled with RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) technology... [M]ake sure to activate it... to take advantage of the following: secure advance reservations for shows and stores, participate in opportunities presented by Disney and Friends of Disney, receive photos taken at select D23 Expo experiences, and redeem your D23 Expo Gold Member gift...

As you enter and exit D23 Expo, make sure to scan and pick up your complimentary lanyard so you can have your badge visible throughout the Expo. While at D23 Expo, always wear your badge and have it ready to show to staff to enter sessions, booths, and other activities. Scan your activated badge to check in for StagePass, StorePass, and TalentPass experiences and at participating booths to receive additional information about exciting offers. When you leave the Expo, make sure to scan your badge so you can re-enter when you return.

It is extremely important to remember to scan your badge when you leave, or you could be denied re-entry! If you forget to scan out or if you experience an issue with your RFID badge, please visit the Anaheim Convention Center’s North Hall and look for the Badge Activation and Help Desk. If you have an issue with your badge, make sure to present a photo ID to confirm that you are the badge holder of record.

Important to note, D23 Expo badge activation is not mandatory but will enhance the overall D23 Expo experience. Do not activate badges for guests under the age of 14. D23 Expo guests under the age of 14 can still participate in reservations and photo activations as the guest of an adult with an activated D23 Expo badge.

https://d23.com/d23-expo-2019/things-to-know/

Interesting about D23. Could they have been using it as an informal test to see what the ratio of RFID used vs didn't use was in a California location?

My understanding is that all the scanners in DLR are RFID ready or only need a bit of modification. Based on D23 verbiage, it would appear that DLR could do WDW style MB with the option of 'opting out' and you wouldn't get auto-upload of ride pics and other location based applications.

You know, one of the great things about MB and MDE is that you 'control' your activities at 4 different 'wide-spread' parks. WDW is all about being onsite and planning and having things all set out for your days in each park. DL just doesn't need that level of planning, nor would the locals 'approve' of it. Perhaps TPTB just feel that there wouldn't be that much (financial) benefit in our two easily walkable parks as the majority of people (who are offsite guests and locals) wouldn't see the benefit of MB.

Who knows? I'd sure like to know TPTB thoughts about it. At one point weren't they planning on bringing MB to DLR?

Last edited:
Who knows? I'd sure like to know TPTB thoughts about it. At one point weren't they planning on bringing MB to DLR?

No idea, but I've definitely heard the same rumor that the new FP scanners they installed prior to MP being released have RFID already installed. It would make sense to put it in if the cost was negligible. Leave themselves the option if they change their mind later?

I agree, if MB=FP+, that would suck. MaxPass is far superior.
I totally agree. MaxPass is so much better. FP+ sucks. It makes it near impossible to get a "day of" fastpass for the more popular attractions. And it forces you to decide in advance exactly which park you will be going to on each day of your trip. Other than that, I love MagicBands and would have no problem with them coming to DLR.

As others have pointed out, DLR being heavily locals, the FP+ concept of prebooking at 30 and 60 days is really a nonstarter since many don't plan we even 3 weeks out

I don't think a lot of people are clamoring for 30 and 60 day FP's when thinking MB's would be a good idea to bring to DL. If Disney wanted to ahve you book FP's in advancet now they could. They could allow you to buy MaxPass in advance if you already have a ticket on your account (or add it as a benefit for staying on site, and of course the room rates would go up accordingly) and then schedule them. I think people are looking to have MB's as a convenience when going to the parks. MB's aren't really needed at WDW either as you can book FP's with out one, all you need is a ticket attached to your account and you can use that ticket to scan into a FP attraction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter