Magic Bands coming to Disneyland???

I would love MBs and I don't and have never equated them with FP+. They're two entirely separate things. I sign up for loyalty programs because I want to be tracked so I have zero issue Disney having another way to track me. Heck, I've suggested Disney should track APs when they do and don't buy popcorn outside of the refill deals.

If it were implemented, one wouldn't have to use it just like one does not have to use it at WDW. It would be a choice.

I'm a little confused by this since they already use NFC/mobile payments at DLR and have for some time now. Do you mean allowing for say digital gift card usage through the DLR app or use it like a wallet like some stores have done so if you don't have Apple, Google, or Samsung Pay you can still mobile pay? Or just new scan points for the existing mobile payment options. Or are they trying to figure out if people even know you can mobile pay?

Sorry for my confusion! Just curious where they're going with the questions.

Yes, specifically allowing payments through the Disneyland app. That is where the questioning seemed to be going. It sounded like they were trying to offer payment options via the app so you could skip registers altogether...they were asking about using an app to shop by scanning items and paying for them in stores without needing to use a checkout lane, as well as how much money would I be comfortable spending "via your smartphone." They asked whether I would feel comfortable spending over $100, over $1000 and over $10000 on purchases using my phone.

But they also asked a lot about what kind of phones everyone in our home has and whether we use Google wallet or Android pay and whether we would use them in the parks.

Yes, specifically allowing payments through the Disneyland app. That is where the questioning seemed to be going. It sounded like they were trying to offer payment options via the app so you could skip registers altogether...they were asking about using an app to shop by scanning items and paying for them in stores without needing to use a checkout lane, as well as how much money would I be comfortable spending "via your smartphone." They asked whether I would feel comfortable spending over $100, over $1000 and over $10000 on purchases using my phone.

But they also asked a lot about what kind of phones everyone in our home has and whether we use Google wallet or Android pay and whether we would use them in the parks.

Ah! Okay. That makes more sense, thanks for clarifying!

Paranoid much?

BTW, the MB does not store your credit card info, but yes, Disney could track your every move while you are wearing it. Do you really care if they do?

I work for companies that do a lot data mining. I wouldn't say I'm paranoid, just educated in how big companies use data and sometimes lie to people about it. And to answer your question, yes I absolutely care. I do not know anyone I work with who doesn't care about it.

Agree 100%. I love having a separate card for my hotel room, another paper card that I have to carry around for all my family members and pull out every time we use Fastpass, then put away again hoping I don't lose it, and I hate the way WDW does automatic Photopass pics on rides with the MagicBand...said no one ever. Plus, the MagicBand is in no way a cool souvenir after the trip. It's just another piece of garbage that goes in the trash (again...said no one ever).

I also love the magic bands!

I work for companies that do a lot data mining. I wouldn't say I'm paranoid, just educated in how big companies use data and sometimes lie to people about it. And to answer your question, yes I absolutely care. I do not know anyone I work with who doesn't care about it.

I guess everyone has their own comfort level with things like this. Personally, I don't care if Disney knows (while I'm in their parks) where I am, how long I sleep, where I eat, where I spend my money, what rides I like to go on, etc. In fact, if any of this information can in some way improve my future experiences at Disney, I'm all for it.

Magic bands mean I don’t have to fumble through my pockets or bag for park tickets or room keys. It’s just convenient.
I get so used to doing everything with my Magicband. When we get home I catch myself tapping my wrist where you pay with credit card.

I was really disappointed that Disneyland didn’t have Magicbands when we were there in April. We weren’t nuts about the fastpass system either. We really prefer FP+ in WDW.

Other than those two things, we really loved Disneyland.

The thing that really struck me about the Magic Bands was how much faster the turnstiles to enter the parks were at WDW. THAT is where it's at. Bop, I'm in, no taking a photograph or waiting for tickets to print out to enter.

Magic Band access for FPs is so nice, but I agree that MaxPass is better and wouldn't want to see a MagicBand in Disneyland if it meant switching how FastPasses are done. I just had issues during my most recent trip because my phone service wasn't great, and I couldn't really stay connected to the WiFi AND my phone battery was awful at the time, so having to scan FPs on my phone was a bit of an adventure. Luckily we realized that my friend could just scan us both in pretty quickly, but having them on a MagicBand is so quick and easy and no need to having phones out and functioning is a big perk.

The whole magic band garbage can stay at WDW.
It’s completely optional and would fix the long lines of FP holders blocking walkways as well as make photopass and park entry lines move faster. People that want them can buy them, they get joy out of a fun new souvenir that makes their trip more enjoyable (it makes photopass so much smoother & faster). People that don’t want them or can’t afford them don’t need them and absolutely nothing changes for them expect they get to secondhand benefit from the shorter lines & a emptier feeling park. Why is that “garbage” you are so against seeing brought over?

I really doubt we are getting Magic Bands over here but I would love to find out I was wrong. No reason magicbands should equate fastpass plus. FP+ wouldn’t not work here and is not needed or wanted.

We are longtime DL fans that went to WDW this year. I loathed the FP+ system, but I was a huge fan of the Magic Band. I liked not having to juggle my wallet to get out my room card/park ticket (entry & FP!)/credit card. It was sooooo convenient. I would not be up in arms if DL adopted Magic Bands.

Weird how people equate an RFID wristband with the FP+ system. That's like equating having a push start car key with a PORSCHE. I understand the confusion, but they're just totally different things. What you don't want is the advanced booked fast passes. I'm not a big fan of those, myself.

The only real difference between a card and the magicband is the active transmitter. But that could be disabled. Or you do like I do and just keep your old magicband with the dead battery, and they can't track me at all! (... other than the 50,000 cameras, hundreds of security people, and the fact that I will occasionally buy something in the parks, of course...)

I will say that while at DL this weekend that some of the rides now have newer scanners for FP in which you need to put your phone into a slot so obviously if that is new then they won't be spending extra money any time soon.

I would much rather use a MB then have to get my phone out or ticket out of a location. The lines get held up by people trying to get there phone to work correctly. I don't want them to change the MP to FP+ by any means at all but would like the convenience of having the band on my arm and to me it's kind of special and makes the park unique.

I would much rather use a MB then have to get my phone out or ticket out of a location.

The thing is, it's essentially the same thing. At WDW you can use a ticket (card) or magicband. Unless you stay on property, you don't even get a magicband unless you buy one. DW and I hate them on our wrists. I tolerate it (albeit with much fidgeting) but for her, I took out the puck and put it in one of the "keepers" they sell, and attached that to her fanny pack with a kevlar retractable badge reel. She actually gets fairly regular comments about people asking where she got it. :laughing: Maybe I should sell that little set up on Etsy or something.

I will say that while at DL this weekend that some of the rides now have newer scanners for FP in which you need to put your phone into a slot so obviously if that is new then they won't be spending extra money any time soon.

I would much rather use a MB then have to get my phone out or ticket out of a location. The lines get held up by people trying to get there phone to work correctly. I don't want them to change the MP to FP+ by any means at all but would like the convenience of having the band on my arm and to me it's kind of special and makes the park unique.
The slot system was added later to some of the scanners since the sun was making it hard for the barcode scanner to read the barcodes on the phone.

I would love to see something similar to the MB come to the West Coast just for the ease of use in the parks but wouldn’t want FP+!!!
Scanning my phone is a pain and so I usually only use it for PhotoPass photographers and scan all our tickets at FP machines.

I would love to see something similar to the MB come to the West Coast just for the ease of use in the parks but wouldn’t want FP+!!!
Scanning my phone is a pain and so I usually only use it for PhotoPass photographers and scan all our tickets at FP machines.

I guess I could create a small clear ticket-size pouch with a wristband attached. I'll call it "band-o-magic". :D

With iOS 13, Apple has finally given developers near full access to the NFC capabilities of devices. I would love to see Disney, at a minimum, add wireless FP scanning over the awful bar code scanning option. That would go a long way towards a better experience and possibly give the Magic Band experience on the Apple Watch.

The thing is, it's essentially the same thing. At WDW you can use a ticket (card) or magicband. Unless you stay on property, you don't even get a magicband unless you buy one. DW and I hate them on our wrists. I tolerate it (albeit with much fidgeting) but for her, I took out the puck and put it in one of the "keepers" they sell, and attached that to her fanny pack with a kevlar retractable badge reel. She actually gets fairly regular comments about people asking where she got it. :laughing: Maybe I should sell that little set up on Etsy or something.

I do agree that while in the park on a very hot day the magic band can be to much but at least when I burn in the sun I have a magic band logo for days to remember my trip lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!