Magic Bands coming to Disneyland???

The thing is, it's essentially the same thing. At WDW you can use a ticket (card) or magicband. Unless you stay on property, you don't even get a magicband unless you buy one. DW and I hate them on our wrists. I tolerate it (albeit with much fidgeting) but for her, I took out the puck and put it in one of the "keepers" they sell, and attached that to her fanny pack with a kevlar retractable badge reel. She actually gets fairly regular comments about people asking where she got it. :laughing: Maybe I should sell that little set up on Etsy or something.
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but can you say where you got the retractable badge reel? I agree with your DW, I hate wearing a MB and have put the puck in a keeper. But I haven't had any luck yet finding a good retractable badge reel to use with it.

Magic Band access for FPs is so nice, but I agree that MaxPass is better and wouldn't want to see a MagicBand in Disneyland if it meant switching how FastPasses are done. I just had issues during my most recent trip because my phone service wasn't great, and I couldn't really stay connected to the WiFi AND my phone battery was awful at the time, so having to scan FPs on my phone was a bit of an adventure. Luckily we realized that my friend could just scan us both in pretty quickly, but having them on a MagicBand is so quick and easy and no need to having phones out and functioning is a big perk.

You don't have to scan the phone for MP/FP return-you can scan the ticket media/pass instead. I much prefer doing this to all the hassling with phones at the FP scanners and I wish more people would just use their tickets.

I keep hoping DL will institute Magic Bands in the same way I hope that they eventually use them on the cruise ships. Having those bands at WDW is just SO convenient.

I would welcome anything they can do to make the turnstiles go faster!

I loved magicbands when we visited WDW in 2017, they were so convenient. Hate FP+ but like others have mentioned that has nothing to do with magicbands.

You don't have to scan the phone for MP/FP return-you can scan the ticket media/pass instead. I much prefer doing this to all the hassling with phones at the FP scanners and I wish more people would just use their tickets.

Ah, right! I totally forgot this. I will remember for my next trip!

I get so used to doing everything with my Magicband. When we get home I catch myself tapping my wrist where you pay with credit card.

I was really disappointed that Disneyland didn’t have Magicbands when we were there in April. We weren’t nuts about the fastpass system either. We really prefer FP+ in WDW.

Other than those two things, we really loved Disneyland.

Ha! And I can't tell you the number of times I swiped my Apple Watch instead of my MB when we were at WDW last month. And I wasn't the only person I saw doing that!

Just got back from DL and the only time I had to use my physical ticket media was for AP discounts - everything else I did from the Disneyland app on my phone. I like being able to use my phone to scan in my whole family for park entry, FPs, etc, though there we had some frustrating moments with the app crashing right as we got up to scan in. I think the magic bands would be interesting, but I think I'd still be pulling my phone out frequently to make MaxPass selections, order mobile pickup, take photos, etc. I imagine it would cost a lot of money to retrofit everything at DL for it, and I don't think they'd be able to recoup that cost, especially if they'd have to provide magic bands to hotel guests so they could open their rooms.

I wish they came to Disneyland. I love the ease of finding my attraction picture and simply touching my magic band to save my picture. None of this taking a picture of attraction photo then linking attraction picture # on app...

Those Disney magic bands are trouble, since you’re not tracking your spending it’s easy to rack up the bill. When I went to WDW I thought I spent maybe a little over $300. When I went to check out it was over $1,000

Those Disney magic bands are trouble, since you’re not tracking your spending it’s easy to rack up the bill. When I went to WDW I thought I spent maybe a little over $300. When I went to check out it was over $1,000

Well, to be fair it's not the bands that are spending the money. And the same argument can be made against a credit card. I definitely track my spending at WDW (and DL). I take a set amount of cash and also keep a rough total of what I've charged in my head during the day and then tote up the receipts at the end of the day to stay on track.

It'd be nice if we could set an amount on MDE and get an alert when we're nearing our daily budget amount! But I think that kinda defeats Disney's purpose!!

Well, to be fair it's not the bands that are spending the money. And the same argument can be made against a credit card. I definitely track my spending at WDW (and DL). I take a set amount of cash and also keep a rough total of what I've charged in my head during the day and then tote up the receipts at the end of the day to stay on track.

It'd be nice if we could set an amount on MDE and get an alert when we're nearing our daily budget amount! But I think that kinda defeats Disney's purpose!!
Agreed about the credit cards. I collect all our receipts and then deduct them from our budget at the end of each day so we know how much money we spent and have left. Keeps us honest.

Someone who did not keep an accurate tracking of spending after having set up their MB to allow them to pay with it while staying on property at WDW. Although I'm fairly sure this is something Disney hopes for as it's also a side effect of credit card spending for some as Stormy mentioned. I have several friends in credit card debt because of how easy it is to forget what they've spent already.

I don't think it's a valid argument against implementation of MBs, though, but it could be a valid argument to not use it for purchases if one isn't good at keeping track and budget is a concern.

Someone who did not keep an accurate tracking of spending after having set up their MB to allow them to pay with it while staying on property at WDW. Although I'm fairly sure this is something Disney hopes for as it's also a side effect of credit card spending for some as Stormy mentioned. I have several friends in credit card debt because of how easy it is to forget what they've spent already.

I don't think it's a valid argument against implementation of MBs, though, but it could be a valid argument to not use it for purchases if one isn't good at keeping track and budget is a concern.

I understood the post. What I do not understand is blaming magic bands for spending too much money. They said "since you're not tracking" as though every person does not track their spending and this is an inherent problem with the bands rather than a single person not tracking their spending.

I understood the post. What I do not understand is blaming magic bands for spending too much money. They said "since you're not tracking" as though every person does not track their spending and this is an inherent problem with the bands rather than a single person not tracking their spending.

Sorry, I should have been more clear I was agreeing with your "what" for the most part. I didn't think you didn't understand what they said. My apologies for the confusion and wording it poorly!

It's definitely an individual issue rather than a MB issue (spending without tracking).

Agreed about the credit cards. I collect all our receipts and then deduct them from our budget at the end of each day so we know how much money we spent and have left. Keeps us honest.

Yep. We also put a budgeted amount in our 'travel' savings account so we can pay off the CC in one whack when we get home. No finance charge!

It's so easy to just get merch-crazy at Disney. There are definitely times I've had to stop and say "Does this item really 'speak to me' or am I just caught up in the moment (or the latest 'craze'?". (Looking at you rose gold everything)

Disney souvenirs that really mean something to you are so special. Buying stuff that in retrospect doesn't really speak to you diminishes that. There are times that a $3 keychain can mean 1000 times more than a $300 'collectible'.

Agree 100%. I love having a separate card for my hotel room, another paper card that I have to carry around for all my family members and pull out every time we use Fastpass, then put away again hoping I don't lose it, and I hate the way WDW does automatic Photopass pics on rides with the MagicBand...said no one ever. Plus, the MagicBand is in no way a cool souvenir after the trip. It's just another piece of garbage that goes in the trash (again...said no one ever).

Actually, my band does go in the trash as I dislike the feel of them on my wrist.

I do put the Mickey head puck on a pull tab, but wish that I could just use an app on my phone.

Since most DL guests are local or stay offsite, a MB use is very limited. I mean, yes you could use it for entry, FP, and PP at DL, but it would be a waste to me since I did all that with just my phone when I was at DL in August. It was much more simple than the MB use for my last few WDW trips. I did not have to remember a fob or band.

Credit card info is NOT stored on the magic band. All the magic band does is charge your room account and the front desk runs your card at checkout or when you hit a spending threshold. So unless you are paying solely with cash magic bands do not give them access to any financial information that they wouldn't already have by having a card on file.

So assuming DL would implement Magic Bands the same as they do in WDW, as in charge your room account/not have credit card information on the band itself, the only people at DL that could charge stuff with their magic bands are Disney hotel guests right? Everyone else won't be able to pay for anything with the Magic Bands. Compared to WDW, Disney hotel guests make up a small minority of park guests compared to locals and guests staying off property.

Although even having it to use as an AP and FP scanner would be nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter