Magical Cruise :Feb 23rd-March 2nd

eshannon

Mouseketeer
First time I have posted a trip report and it has been a couple of weeks and I am sure I will forget some things but here are the highlights I remember.

"Triptakers"
DH 45 and not a real disney freak like me
DW turned 46 yesterday The disney freak
DD 13 1/2
DS 10 1/2
DS Turned 6 on the ship

Since we live in Idaho we flew down the day before. Stayed at Amerisuittes by the airport. Got it for $55. Rented a car at Avis and then drove it to the port the next morning. It was a good thing we stayed by the airport rather than driving to the Raddisson as I had originally planned. Our plane didn't get in until almost midnight and we were happy to just go to bed rather than drive an hour.

Arrived at the Raddisson to turn our car in and it was POURING!
Took the shuttle to the port and arrived in the terminal soaking. But then again, so was everyone else. I thought by getting there at 12 we would be early. NO Way. It was very busy. I found out later that the schools in New Hampshire were out for the week It was a very full ship.

After they started boarding we go on in about 20 minutes. I love the couches and movies for the little guys to watch while you are waiting in line.

We went straight to our cabin (Category 8 with a verandah) it was ready and so we unloaded our carry on stuff and went to the buffet at Topsiders. Even though it was pouring I had a drink of the day. I still look at my DCL mug and wish I was back!
We then headed up to check the boys into their clubs. Not crowded at all. Then just wandered around the ship. It is so beautiful and "magical". Missed the sail away party as it was canceled and we were tired. Had dinner and went to bed.

We enjoyed our trip immensely. I think my husband and I enjoyed it more than our kids. They didn't really enjoy the clubs that much. I think there were too manykids for them. They only went the first day and I kept getting beeped to get the six year old so we just gave up and did family stuff. That was actually the purpose of the whole trip anyway.

WE really loved our servers. Vlado from Croatia was very pleasant and cheerful. Marco from Italy was also great. Sharon was our stateroom hostess and she went out of her way to make us comfortable. My sons and husband were really into pin trading and LeeANn at the pin kiosk was great. On Patricks birthday she searched the ship and found him a DCL birthday pin. We were a little disappointed that not manyof the crew members are really into pin trading. Winston in the store was also fantastic with the boys.
The shows were all fun and we saw all of them. Our personal favorite was Who wants to be a Mouseketeer? We got there early as DS who was ten is a disney trivia nut and soooo wanted to try and play. Two ladies played first and Will kept saying "mom I know that stuff" The third seat called was F32!!!DS seat. He was speechless. I made my husband go up with him and the tension mounted each time he got a correct answer. Got to the final question and my heart stopped. It was how do you spell supercalifragilisticexpealidocious. He has know that since he was in third grade!! Needless to say when he won the seven night cruise the crowd erupted. It was so great for him. After the show Don Williams (donald duck animatior) found us and asked Will who his favorite character was. He drew Dopey for him and signed it. It was a very magical night.

I personally didn't care much for St. Maarten. My husband and 6 year old went to the Butterfly farm and enjoyed it. I and the other two kids shopped. Unless you are out to buy liquor, jewelry or camera stuff there isn't much. We did get clothes to wear for trpical night.
St. Thomas was good. We took a taxi on our own to Magen's Bay. OUr dinner mates went to Sapphire Bay and it sounded like it was even nicer and less crowded.

Castaway Cay was nice. Cool but nice. The Konk Koolers are yummy.
It was sad to have to pack to come back home. I didn't reallize how much the ship had become "home",
Disney is so organized about everything. They don't miss a thing.
I really wish I had packed more "fancy" clothes. Less play clothes. Will know better next time. AS for the next time. ... Dear Son has said he would rather go to disneyworld with his dad (just the two of them) than on the ship again! So they are going in June and I have booked the September 28th cruise for dad and I to take alone. It will be fun. Dad turned into quite a disney fan on this cruise. We all loved Scoops, Plutos and just playing ping pong and shuffleboard. It was so relaxing. We didn't make it to Palo's but will next time. \

One note: We were shocked when we got our final bill. YOu really do not realize you are spending money with the Key to the World Cards. We spent well over 1500 adn hadn't planned to do that. The shopping gets away from you. Next time I will keep all my receipts in one drawer and tally them each day. There were a couple of items I questioned but since you don't get the final bill until 6am and want to get off the ship you tend to let it go. I am sure disney didn't make a mistake anyway... Well that is it. It is erratic but from off the top of my head. Will see all you fellow cruisers September 28th

It's so awesome that your son won the free trip!!! This is the first time I've heard of anyone doing that on the cruise. And I think it's really cool that it was a young kid who did it!

Enjoyed reading the trip report. Have fun on the next one!

Great report!

You mentioned that you do not get your bill until 6am the morning you leave. If you want to check your charges just stop by Guest Services anytime during the cruise and they can print out a copy for you. We usually have one printed out every other day (both on the cruise and at WDW) just so we can double check.

Have fun on your next cruise!

Michele

Wow! I can't believe your son won a cruise? And spelling supercalifrag........? That's fantastic. He deserved to win!

And congratulations to your son for winning a free cruise, that is terrific!! I just had to comment on what you said about the charges adding up on your KTTW card. Hubby and I cruised alone, no kids, and our bill was $750 or so for just the two of us, I was shocked! We did keep a "running tally" of how much we added to it each day, but I was still shocked at the final total anyway. Those "drinks of the day" do add up fast! :) And we didn't even discover them until the 3rd day! I'm hoping it won't be so expensive next time, since we won't need souvenirs, but with shore excursions and drinks it will still probably be high.

Hi...we were on that same cruise and we watched your son win!!!! He was awesome! I had met your son earlier in the week at one of the pin trading sessions and he was very proud of his "personalized" pin vest!!!! He had the section that you could look at and not trade. He was so cute!!! He impressed me so much that I gave him one of my Patriotric Mickey Mouse pins and we was most appreciative. I told hom to keep that one and not trade it.

I was so happy to see him win the cruise. We were in the second row from the front and we were also cheering on Ellen (aka Gobbi45 from the Dis). She won some shipboard credit. Yes DIS winners!!!

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter