Magicband Screws!!!!

tmaxwell

Mouseketeer
OMG those tiny screws!!! Any tips on unscrewing them so I can take the pucks out and switch them??? They are going to be the death of me!!!

Thanks!!

I think I watched a youtube when I changed mine from a band to a holder. Maybe those videos have a few tricks?

I bought one of the Minnie shaped holders and it came with a screwdriver to use :) I have been popular with Disney-going friends who want to switch around pucks :)

The holders come with a small screwdriver ... looks pretty much like a normal one.

FROM MAGICBAND COLLECTORS
http://www.magicbandcollectors.com/magickeepers/
s-l1600-4.jpg

Keep trying. The good thing is that you only have to be able to get one of them out..once one screw is out it will pop open enough to get the puck out.

I too used the screw driver that came with the puck holder.
I also was using the puck holder for my watch band so didn't need the puck holder but I was worried about the screw specifically so I bought the puck holder just so I got the proper screw driver and spare screws, just in case I messed something up.
Worked great by the way

My suspicions are if you are having significant difficulty, the screwdriver you are using does not have the proper point to it. Tiny phillipshead screwdriver isn't really a good description of what you need lol.

There are actually numerous different "tiny" sizes of phillipshead. A good set of precision screwdrivers (such as you might use for phone, or tablet repair) should have a #1, a #0, and a #00 phillips driver. You can likely get away with the #0 if that is what you have, and you work very carefully, but the correct size for these little buggers is the #00. If you have a #1, you likely won't be able to do anything but tear them apart.

My suspicions are if you are having significant difficulty, the screwdriver you are using does not have the proper point to it. Tiny phillipshead screwdriver isn't really a good description of what you need lol.

There are actually numerous different "tiny" sizes of phillipshead. A good set of precision screwdrivers (such as you might use for phone, or tablet repair) should have a #1, a #0, and a #00 phillips driver. You can likely get away with the #0 if that is what you have, and you work very carefully, but the correct size for these little buggers is the #00. If you have a #1, you likely won't be able to do anything but tear them apart.
Precision screwdriver set is the way to go. Not expensive, can find them at any home improvement store, maybe even Wal-Mart. Useful in all tiny screw situations!

Precision screwdriver set is the way to go. Not expensive, can find them at any home improvement store, maybe even Wal-Mart. Useful in all tiny screw situations!
I got mine at Radio Shack . . . . but that isn't much help to anyone now, is it. At any rate, not a bad investment, where ever you get them from. Spend a few bucks, get a decent set, they will serve you well for many years to come.

Just make sure your kids don’t have the screw drivers in their pockets when going through the checkpoint at MCO. Not that I’ve ever experienced this.

I too had a heck of a time with the tiny screws, even using a 00 Phillips. Thankfully, a 1/16th drill bit took it out, no issue. ;)

When removing the puck from the Magic Band, I used the screwdriver which came with the Magic Keeper. One screw came out fine. The other screw head lost its slot as I tried to unscrew it - the screwdriver etched out the slot. (Is that what it means when a screw is stripped?)

There is a plastic rim around the puck. I found that I could pop the rim (and puck) from the Magic Band with only one screw removed.

There is blue tape around the screwdriver which comes with the Magic Keeper. There are 2 spare screws under the tape, so I used one of them when I put the puck into the Magic Band.

This is the second Magic Keeper I have purchased and I found it to be a real pain in the neck both times. I know a lot of people switch out the pucks all the time with no trouble, but I'm not one of them.

It's a challenge even with the proper tools. We did it for Christmas last year & it took my husband ~hour for two bands- one of the screws became too stripped to reinstall. We aren't planning to do it again for that reason.

I have found that using a 0 philips head from my normal interchangeable craftsman set works. I don't have the specialty ones or the ones for glasses and was just trying it to see how it would go, so I didn't have the option of using the one that comes with the puck holders that people are talking about. I noticed it wasn't turning well at first, but put the band in my hand so that the center was basically cupped in my palm and with the other hand made sure I put a good amount of pressure into it with the screwdriver. That kept the band from moving and got rid of the skipping problem. Also I actually just took the head out of the handle since it is interchangeable and used that haha. It seemed the closer down I was holding it the more straight the pressure was and the less torque on the band. I don't know if any of this helps but I hope you get the best thing for you! Another idea, assuming it doesn't mess with any of the technology in the puck (honestly I don't know hahaha I still remember magnets messing with hotel key strips and get shivers) is to use a magnetic head screwdriver. It seems to help with the grip (for lack of a better term) and also that way you don't risk losing those itty bitty screws as much.

I have done a couple of Magic Keepers and either used an eyeglass screwdriver or the one that came with the keepers. I had no problem switching out from bands to keepers or back. Sorry, other than the eyeglass screwdriver, I do not have any other advice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter